Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Article: You Are Unlikely to Prosper  (Read 129770 times)

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
Re: Article: You Are Unlikely to Prosper
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2010, 10:45:57 pm »

I think a "joker" photoshop would be fun.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

christoofar215

• YO. LIKE MY FRO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2010, 10:51:58 pm »

I think a "joker" photoshop would be fun.

Leave the head... surround the body with a Liberace sequined suit and insert a candelabra.

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2010, 11:58:50 pm »

http://www.thebigmoney.com/articles/money-trail/2010/01/18/you-are-unlikely-prosper

Seriously, read this.  Article from The Big Money, part of Slate.  None of what's reported will be a big shocker to anyone here, but I doubt this makes the Prosper blog.  

BTW, .org is featured.  Yay!

(lobby ok by me)

WOW... How did I miss this?  This is a wet-dream of articles.  Nice to see Larsen taken to the woodshed after fibbing for 4 freakin' years...

About time a writer actually did a little digging.  Thank goodness he had .org here to help point him in the right direction.

BrassKnuckles

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2010, 12:48:05 am »

christoofar215

• YO. LIKE MY FRO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2010, 12:53:16 am »

Prosper already responding....

http://blog.prosper.com/2010/01/19/an-open-letter-to-the-big-money-retract-your-story/

You know Prosper found the story on our site.   Consumerist was late to the party.

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2010, 12:53:54 am »

Prosper already responding....

http://blog.prosper.com/2010/01/19/an-open-letter-to-the-big-money-retract-your-story/

OMFG.

I guess I'd be pissed off too if I were Prosper; everybody hates a poor review.

But as the writer points out, the "old" story has *not* been told, and it was time to do it now; letting it get older made no sense at all.

Prosper can wave and shout about their "new" numbers all they want to.  The proof will be in the pudding, and I'd actually be happy if it turned out to be a whole new Prosper.

But as an armchair historian myself sometimes, I am really peeved by their insistence on whitewashing and covering up their history.

And Larsen has been lying to the public, the media, and for all I know, the SEC about Prosper and its dirty little secret, and I for one am very pleased that he has now been called out in public about it. About freakin' time.  Mark Gimein, I owe ya a beer.

christoofar215

• YO. LIKE MY FRO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2010, 01:06:01 am »

Let's dissect Prosper's response.  Shall we?

Today, The Big Money, an outlet we and many others respect, published a disappointingly inaccurate story about Prosper and the peer-to-peer lending industry.  It’s unfortunate that the author’s data analysis and perspective relied almost entirely on a hodgepodge of anonymous sources.  If higher reporting standards had been upheld, the reality that Prosper has shown great promise and performed well on a relative basis over the last three-years would have been self evident

Yes, Fred93's years of research on data that Prosper makes publicly available for download and is 99.99% pure (those new agency test loans screwed things up plus the fraud loans).... is totally hodgepodge.

Fred has been consistently generating the same trend graph for years now.   Years.    Prosper dicks around with the Performance Page on almost every site update.    And the interest rates quoted on the front page change all the time, and Prosper never explains what prompts the changes or where they sourced the calculation from.   Never.   In a million years.

We’ve requested that the editors at The Big Money retract Mark Gimein’s erroneous perspective on Prosper and the peer-to-peer lending industry.  We look forward to their response.  In the meantime, we’d like to set the record straight.

Not happening.   You have no more money left to sue people willy nilly and I'd like to see how you're going to prop up a libel case against Slate.   You better win that round of VC money coming--and hope the VC community doesn't read that article or you won't get any money to pay the lawyers with.

Mr. Gimein discusses Prosper’s loans in the context of only cumulative unit default rates rather than in terms of the average annual returns lenders have earned.  For example, Mr. Gimein states that 39% of loans that have had a chance to come to maturity (originated prior to 12/31/2006) have defaulted.  What he doesn’t say is that the annual yield on these loans was 16% and the annual loss experienced by lenders was actually 20%, resulting in an annual average return of negative 4%.  Although this return is negative, put in the context of the largest recession in generations, and the performance of other asset classes during the same time period, this paints a very different and more accurate picture of how lenders have fared on Prosper.

Other asset classes?   I thought P2P was a unique approach to banking.   Now it's just another bank product like a signature loan from a bank?    See when I go open a signature loan, the bank actually asks about my income and they do a manual pull of my credit and review it.

Prosper does not do this.   Why do borrowers even state their incomes when it's all lies and, as stated by your own employees... should not be your primary consideration when bidding on a listing because the information was sourced by the borrower?

Mr. Gimein continues to use his flawed methodology to state that 54% of loans with an interest rate of 18% or greater have defaulted, leaving the impression that lenders on these loans have lost over half of the funds that they lent, and that losses ran roughly three times the interest rate on loans.  Again Mr. Gimein is equivocating annual interest earned with cumulative default rates over a three year period.  Lenders on these loans lost 10% on an annual basis, and while not positive, it’s a far cry from the 54% loss that Mr. Giemein flawed analysis leads the reader to believe.

Wow Prosper, you're actually admitting now that most lenders lose on Prosper.     You are so awesome.  Congrats on being you.

After quoting these cumulative loss results out of context, Mr. Gimein’s bottom line is “After you take defaults into account, investors have lost money on most of their Prosper lending.”  Mr. Gimein makes this statement without providing any actual returns data, again leaving the false impression that lenders have lost 39% to 54% on their Prosper lending.  The truth is that the median return across all Prosper lenders was negative 3.2%.  In addition, 39% of lenders have made money on their Prosper investment.  While we would have preferred all of our lenders to have made a profit, a low single digit loss for Prosper lenders in the context of the worst recession since the Great Depression shows great promise for peer-to-peer lending as an alternative asset class for investors.  Even a broad index like the S&P 500 saw an annualized loss of 6% in the past three years.  Most individual investors have experienced performance substantially worse than this in their investment portfolios and 401k accounts.  Something Mr. Gimein fails to discuss.

Who cares?   The most important fact is the majority of lenders lose on Prosper.   That fact is irrefutable even by you.    These are fixed term loans... like bonds.   You're supposed to be risking and pricing the bonds in your beauty pageant contest marketplace.   How can we possibly do that when you yank every negative experience off the site and flob off "success" stories on the lenders and telling them it's all roses when MOST Prosper lenders do not prosper?

Every time the lenders wanted to discuss strategy--you pulled the plug.

So fuck you.

Mr. Gimein also fails to mention that historically there has been a significant amount of social lending through Prosper’s marketplace.  Social loans are deliberately underpriced relative to their stated risk by lenders in order to benefit borrowers with unique or challenging circumstances.  Although we do not have a way to isolate the impact of these loans on performance, there is no doubt that they have had a downward impact on some lender returns.

OK OK WAIT A SECOND.   First you say "ignore all the credit crisis loans", but then you tell us to look at them again because that's where most of your loan portfolio is... back in Prosper 1.0 and 2.0.     Which the fuck is it, do you WANT us to look at your old crappy loans or don't you?

Mr. Gimein also seems to find fault with the steps Prosper has taken to improve the lending process and provide lenders with additional information to improve their lending decisions.  Prosper has instituted a minimum credit score requirement of 640 to request a loan from Prosper’s lenders as well as a bid floor. Prosper also introduced a new rating system in July 2009 that incorporates the historical performance of over 29,000 Prosper loans into the rating of new borrowers looking for loans.  Although the new rating system uses the same letter grades to rank order risk, the meaning of the letters has changed significantly. This has resulted in a change in the composition of Prosper’s listings, which allows lenders to more accurately assess risk and set prices for prospective borrowers.  This change in rating methodology is well documented on Prosper’s site and lenders can easily compare the impact of Prosper’s new rating system on loans originated under the older system.

The early results from the new rating system are excellent.  Prosper is estimating returns for lenders above 10% for loans originated since our July re-launch and the early data supports these expectations.  Below is a graph comparing the delinquency performance of loans originated by year with the loans originated in the third quarter of 2009.  As you can see, the proportion of loans that are 31 to 120 days past due for the loans originated under the new rating system are dramatically lower.

Hey, we the lenders said "hey we really need to see the actual credit score, and we need to see the 30/60/90s on all accounts closed or open" in order to make some better lending decisions here, but you said no.

And now that you're flat broke, you can actually give us FAKOs--which we asked for all along?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Idiots.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:10:07 am by christoofar215 »

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2010, 01:12:08 am »

I highly doubt Slate would pull an article in response to this gibberish (nice analysis, christoofar), especially since all of the article appears factually correct, but I wonder if we ought to save it, just in case?  I copied it onto my HD.

christoofar215

• YO. LIKE MY FRO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2010, 01:15:22 am »

Yeah it needs to be saved.   There's a chance that CL could be fuming about this thing and he'll try to get it yanked off the site.

Google Cache already picked it up though and since it hit Consumerist I'm sure the CB crowd has already seen it as well--so that article has made the rounds already.   Suing Slate will amount to nothing because most hardcore finance nerds have already read the article---just the audience CL was hoping would not see this.   The only benefit would be to make the thing unsearchable and therefore un-findable by future lemders.

onthefence

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2010, 01:20:13 am »

DID ANYONE SAVE A COPY OF THE SLATE ARTICLE!?!?!  I see the front page but not the next two.
Lobby permission granted

Urbi_et_Orbi

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2010, 01:23:27 am »

They SAY they want a high standard of journalism, but are ever so content to post endless "media round-ups" consisting of blog entries by starry-eyed 18 year olds who did nothing but publish talking points provided by Prosper - not to mention endless blog entries about how to cook your Thanksgiving turkey and delete their own blog entries related to their pimping of loans that eventually (and predictably) went on to default.

They SAY they want a high standard of discourse, but are ever so content to moderate and poof their forums repeatedly and ever so quick to delete notes that dare to ask questions.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"

christoofar215

• YO. LIKE MY FRO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2010, 01:24:41 am »

Prosper was clearly not immune from the economic environment, but looked at in the proper context, peer-to-peer lending has weathered the storm relatively well and as a result is well positioned for a bright future.

This is the biggest piece of bullshit in the entire blog post I missed underneath the hastily-prepared graph..   You KNOW CL was screaming at an intern to "GET IT DONE" while he was typing this crap up under the ghost-name of Prosper Blog.   I can see the interns hands shaking with fear trying to click through the Excel chart wizard.

So let me get this right... in 2007 when loans were defaulting left and right BEFORE the actual credit crisis occurred and credit ACTUALLY dried up (the day was September 18th, 2008 in the Year of our Lord... after Lehman collapsed and the credit market seized)... that was all a bad dream?

I'm sure you want to forget 2006 as well which was 2 years before the credit crisis.   Those loans were even worse in most respects than the 07 loans.   Prosper lenders even found cases of clear-cut fraud even that far back and you swept it under the rug.   Guess you have vague memories about that too.  

Shit you forget that you still have collection duties to fulfill according to your old contracts you signed with lenders.   Maybe that's why you have a class action lawsuit against you, hmm?

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2010, 01:25:43 am »

They SAY they want a high standard of journalism, but are ever so content to post endless "media round-ups" consisting of blog entries by starry-eyed 18 year olds who did nothing but publish talking points provided by Prosper - not to mention endless blog entries about how to cook your Thanksgiving turkey and delete their own blog entries related to their pimping of loans that eventually (and predictably) went on to default.

They SAY they want a high standard of discourse, but are ever so content to moderate and poof their forums repeatedly and ever so quick to delete notes that dare to ask questions.

I wouldn't turn to Prosper for their judgement of "high standard journalism" any more than I'd turn to Mr. Jerry to pick a good loan.  Not their areas of expertise... ;)

Urbi_et_Orbi

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2010, 01:27:46 am »

I can't get to the site now at all.

christoofar215

• YO. LIKE MY FRO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2010, 01:28:46 am »

Did any of you pay attention to the very first link that Prosper Blog hotlinks in the response?

http://www.markgimein.com/

Mark Himein's professional bio page.   You know they were trying to dig as much shit up as possible today on this dude.    CL is definitely pissed off.    

I bet he had a case of the Mondays.    :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up