News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Poll

Choose one:

I regularly transfer funds in to Prosper and bid on listings
- 13 (9.7%)
I sometimes transfer funds into Prosper to bid on specific listings
- 6 (4.5%)
I reinvest repayments in new listings but don't transfer any new funds into Prosper
- 15 (11.2%)
I mostly withdraw funds from Prosper but bid on occasional listings
- 18 (13.4%)
I am withdrawing all funds from Prosper
- 82 (61.2%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lender sentiment - January 2008  (Read 39909 times)

HollowOak

• View Profile
Lender sentiment - January 2008
« on: January 07, 2008, 07:12:39 pm »

Memory is a terrible thing, I can't remember the options I used to offer. I was just about making it a regular opinion poll on the old .com forums when Prosper yanked the old forums. I doubt they'll permit the poll past moderation on the new forums.

Anyway, I intend to rerun the poll offering the same options (or slightly improved, more precise ones based on user feedback) on a monthly basis to judge lender sentiment towards Prosper.

I don't expect to get anywhere near the 180 monthly votes I got on the old .com forums, but I thought that this might still, over time, present an interesting evolution of lender sentiment. I'm imagining that as Prosper improves things, we might see more lenders lending, and vice versa.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:16:50 am by HollowOak »
Old Stump
My blog

cubbiesnextyr

• Suspended since 12/13/07
    • View Profile
Re: Lender sentiment
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 07:16:20 pm »

I voted, but since Prosper had made my choice for me, I only had one choice I could pick.  I don't know if you should discount my vote or not.  If I wasn't banned, I'd probably have chosen "I mostly withdraw funds from Prosper but bid on occasional listings"

HollowOak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 07:17:28 pm »

I voted, but since Prosper had made my choice for me, I only had one choice I could pick.  I don't know if you should discount my vote or not.  If I wasn't banned, I'd probably have chosen "I mostly withdraw funds from Prosper but bid on occasional listings"

Feel free to vote. There's no indication in the poll on whether volition plays a role in your decision.
Old Stump
My blog

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 07:21:15 pm »

I was going to suggest adding a poll option "I'm banned, so I couldn't lend even if I wanted to," considering that the number of lenders in this category is growing.  But then I figured that the bottom line was that I am withdrawing all money as fast as I can, regardless of whether Prosper made it so I can't do anything else (I had already stopped all my bidding shortly before I was banned, when Prosper made its terrible and short-lived decision to hide non-active listings from lenders). 
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

mhs505

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 08:14:36 pm »

So what were you officially banned for again?  Did you ever get an answer?

ducks

• November 24 is Thanksgiving Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »

How about "I use all repayments to make additional payments on my Prosper loan"?

I have selected "I am withdrawing all funds from Prosper" because making payments on my loan reduces my investment in lending while also reducing my involvement as a borrower.
Predictit.org portfolio (originally invested $100):
$182.47 withdrawn
$141.33 left in PredictIt

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 08:33:53 pm »

I am withdrawing all funds from Prosper
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

Nora_Lenderbee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 09:11:39 pm »

Last time you asked, I was sometimes transferring money in for specific listings and reinvesting repayments.

This time, I'm transferring out but would consider bidding on specific listings.

I got fed up with Prosper after they killed the old forums, and it was a good time to take a break from lending anyway, because I've already put in more than I originally intended to. I'm also concerned about the future of the company.

If I feel better in a month or so, I might lend again. Don't know yet.

NL

ks6328

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 10:56:52 pm »

Still withdrawing all funds.  I haven't bid on anything since I start withdrawing last May.

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 11:27:03 pm »

So far, only 4 out of 52 are transferring funds in?  Wow.  Perhaps the demographics here are slanted, but that's pretty amazing...

I'm still on the slow train out of Prosperville.  Today, I asked myself: can you at least try to get pumped up about it again?  Maybe let some funds accumulate, and bid?

Then I thought of much I used to like this place when we were all one big happy lending family, back in the far-off days of 2006.  And how different it is now.  And I recalled how I used to feel about the company back then, when it excited me, when I wanted it to grow, to be a part of whatever happened...  And then I think of how that company makes me feel now; shunned, chiseled, belittled...

Screw it.  I'm so turned-off by Prosper now, I think I need to start weaning myself from .org too, little by little.  It's over, at least for me.  I feel a little sad about that, but I'll manage just fine...

ducks

• November 24 is Thanksgiving Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 11:37:57 pm »

I'm occasionally tempted to accumulate $50 and bid on a listing, but I never do. My intention is to reconsider this when I finish repaying my loan, but PMI might not last that long.
Predictit.org portfolio (originally invested $100):
$182.47 withdrawn
$141.33 left in PredictIt

caliostro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 01:23:40 am »

-
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 09:44:52 am by caliostro »

cowdog

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 04:59:22 am »

The whole deal at Prosper just flat-out... sucks.

Recently, loan requests were posted from members who frequent irc and are somewhat known to me.

While I am VERY confident that I would get my money back with interest had I bid (and I was confident enough to bid at least $500 and perhaps more each, which is a lot for me), the bottom line is that I just can't foresee Prosper continuing for the duration of the loans. This possibility introduces an immense unknown, therefore unfathomable risk.

Given my present thoughts about the future of Prosper, to be an acceptable investment, I feel possible returns would have to be incredibly high...  much higher than even the maximum interest rate.

>:(

MoneyDog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 09:39:09 am »

Withdrawing all funds until I receive a formal apology from Propser for its various rude and stupid actions.
"Don't let liars prosper here in our land." - Psalms 140:11

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 09:40:24 am »

Withdrawing all funds until I receive a formal apology from Propser for its various rude and stupid actions.
well, at least you are just withdrawing your funds and not holding your breath.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up