Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What is it like to work at Prosper? I think we just found out.  (Read 5165 times)

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
Re: What is it like to work at Prosper? I think we just found out.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:38:22 pm »

It's about time we started hearing some stuff from the inside.

Nominate for Lobby.

bankomatic

• Tyrant and Slave Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:47:53 pm »

Pros

Working with great people in a flexible environment for a company that had so much potential…with emphasis on the HAD

Cons

All the pros no longer exist at Prosper, thanks to poor management choices. If you go and visit the Prosper HQ, all you will hear is the clicking away at keyboards of employees who are bitching to each other on IM. Upper management are a bunch of yes men (or women) who are archaic in thinking and should have stayed in the banking industry. Prosper is top heavy and is bound to topple over sooner than later.

This is exactly what my thoughts on prosper have been for some time now. The concept is a winner. They should be able to outperform banks easily and offer lower rates because they don't have to deal with same costs as banks. Instead they hike fees, focus on retarded shit like borrower "feelings" instead of focusing on maximizing lender returns which would lead to lower rates which would lead to more people going to prosper. They didn't do everything wrong, but the main focus on the borrower and high fees is the wrong approach.  This is not a hard thing to understand which leads me to believe that higher ups at prosper are just yesmen which is exactly what this guy is saying.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:09:56 am by bankomatic »

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 12:11:52 am »

Not a fun place, it would appear.

http://prosperclassaction.wordpress.com/2009/09/04/prosper-employees-speaking-out/

ROFLMAO.

Turns out they speak the same language we do...

I feel strangely vindicated.  And I never even worked there.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 12:13:32 am »

A number of them are lenders...  ;D
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

christoofar215

• YO. LIKE MY FRO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 12:46:37 am »

Ugh Providian employees were the same folks who ruined the culture at WaMu and then the loose lending practices Providian followed wound up turning them into the biggest bank bankruptcy in history.

No wonder Prosper sucks.  It was poison from the get-go because of that.

ICanLickMyBalls

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 12:54:59 am »

This is exactly what my thoughts on prosper have been for some time now. The concept is a winner. They should be able to outperform banks easily and offer lower rates because they don't have to deal with same costs as banks. Instead they hike fees, focus on retarded shit like borrower "feelings" instead of focusing on maximizing lender returns which would lead to lower rates which would lead to more people going to prosper. They didn't do everything wrong, but the main focus on the borrower and high fees is the wrong approach.  This is not a hard thing to understand which leads me to believe that higher ups at prosper are just yesmen which is exactly what this guy is saying.

i hope i get this quote thing right. you think its easy to beat banks at the game they have been playing for 100s years? think again. what are the costs of banks? a lot of it is in the ways they detect and avoid nonpayers and collect money from those they acidentaly lend to that are nonpayers. the only way prosper could beat them is if prosper had a way to prosecute nonpayers in all the states and for that they need presence there. right now you can see how screwed prosper is becuase ever state is on their ass for making the loans and for directly involving lenders in the loans. banks avoid all this. prosper still has to increase costs to get the right people in all the states. the banks will eat prosper for lunch. if you remember, some big company took over eloans from larsen. he was probably hopoing the same would happen here but the bad economy got in the way. peace out.

bankomatic

• Tyrant and Slave Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 09:16:41 am »

i hope i get this quote thing right. you think its easy to beat banks at the game they have been playing for 100s years? think again. what are the costs of banks? a lot of it is in the ways they detect and avoid nonpayers and collect money from those they acidentaly lend to that are nonpayers. the only way prosper could beat them is if prosper had a way to prosecute nonpayers in all the states and for that they need presence there. right now you can see how screwed prosper is becuase ever state is on their ass for making the loans and for directly involving lenders in the loans. banks avoid all this. prosper still has to increase costs to get the right people in all the states. the banks will eat prosper for lunch. if you remember, some big company took over eloans from larsen. he was probably hopoing the same would happen here but the bad economy got in the way. peace out.

Of course they can easily beat banks. Their costs are way lower. They don't have branches, tellers, branch managers, loan officers etc... That's all costs. I already had a suggestion on how to deal with bad loans which is to allow people to create a platform where people can sell their loans to junk debt buyers. I am not saying it would be easy, but it's doable, invite junk debt buyers to bid on loans at a competitive auction. So like you $50 dollars defaults you can put it up for sale if you so want and have people bid on it. I am not 100% confident they can beat banks, but I know a sure way that they won't beat them. Which is by making prosper loans at higher interest rates than bank loans for prime borrowers. There is no way they can beat banks doing that. The interest rate HAS to be lower or they can't compete, and the reason it's higher is because of the 3% origination fee and like 1% fee added on top of that when they service the loan. They want 4% just for creating a platform and having 0 credit risk. When banks give out 3-4% car loans and have credit risk. That's not competitive.

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 09:18:51 am »

I think we said all along after Black Friday that Top management wasn't in touch with the real customer.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 09:24:16 am »

no using the back door!
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

NewHorizon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 09:27:22 am »

http://prosperclassaction.wordpress.com/2009/09/04/prosper-employees-speaking-out/

ROFLMAO.

I share this sense of vindication.  But I have a mixture of disappointment / resignation / sadness over all of this, not "ROFLMAO".

christoofar215

• YO. LIKE MY FRO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 09:29:30 am »

It's not unusual to see that regular employees where getting f_cked just like Prosper lenders.

It's corporate culture.

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 09:32:11 am »

It's not unusual to see that regular employees where getting f_cked just like Prosper lenders.

It's corporate culture.
but wait, they were a startup.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

GLeaderAccountantsChoice

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 09:58:58 am »

::)

*Warning - Lending stats subject to change

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 10:46:23 am »

ROFLMAO.

I share this sense of vindication.  But I have a mixture of disappointment / resignation / sadness over all of this, not "ROFLMAO".

I went through those stages years ago.  Nothing left now to do but laugh.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up