Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Washington Post claims 5% default rate on Prosper  (Read 15685 times)

ira01

• View Profile
Re: Washington Post claims 5% default rate on Prosper
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2009, 12:59:46 am »

Veeery Interesting.

When the Washington Post stopped allowing posts, there were 15.  The Prosper link only shows 14--and the one making mention of the 40% default rate is the one that's missing.

I am still seeing 15, including the one suggesting 40% default rate...

+1.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

triad

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2009, 01:46:21 am »

*argh*

I confused the puff piece linked to the front page of the Prosper home page (which is from 2008) to the puff piece from 2009 that's linked on the home>>about us>>media room>>in the news.

Which means it's harder to find on the site at least.
In penance, I'm reading the rest of the links.
The Star Telegram piece gives glowing press for getting a student loan on prosper.  Rates lower than other private non-government loans, but zilch about lender risk.
The Barron's piece is limited to 1 paragraph (before a subscription request), but the 40% default rate is in the still visible comment section.  Just before some amazing name calling.
The Los Angles piece from 2009 has the expected Larsen quote:

'"We have a system that we think ensures that both sides get a fair deal," said Chris Larsen, Prosper's chief executive and co-founder.'

Since its inception in 2006, Prosper has registered a 19% default rate, Larsen acknowledged. The company has significantly tightened its lending criteria in the last few months and no longer accepts subprime loans, so Larsen expects that rate to improve. However, even Virgin Money reports that about 5% of its borrowers don't pay on their loans either.

(Gee, Chris, in 1 month it went from 19% to 5%???)

Wallet Pop has an audio interview with Chris from July 2009.  Chris downplays the SEC issues.  (Calls it a milestone within peer-to-peer lending.)  Brags that lenders are their own bank as they decide to loan money.  Makes all credit card lenders out to be predatory/usury...glossing over the default issue that prosper lenders will have to face as well.   "An A rated loan have a 2.5% default rate on average."  Interviewer asks if a lender can ask Prosper to verify income.  Chris does not answer the question.  (Who would since their stats are so bad there too.)  He goes on and on about the info posted on the listings and says any questions a lender has can be directed to the borrower. 

Interview tried to ask about default rates.  "We've changed a lot"  "pre credit crisis" lenders getting -3% ROI during the crisis (yes, he admitted a negative) but hey, if they'd been in the stock market, it would have been more.  Then he predicts that future loans should earn the lender +7%.

Then he brags about the new secondary market.  Their requiring credit scores of 640 and systemically preventing low bids. 

Interviewer asks when a lender in an unapproved state can dump their existing loans on this secondary market....

And, then too often, Chris keeps bragging about Americans borrowing from other Americans.  And hey, be a bank, don't register on SEC, just dump a lot of money into Prosper.

MSNNBC interview... Chris tried to steer conversation to his you-be-the-banker model (even while knocking the banking industry).  What if the borrower is a bad risk?  We service the loan, we collect on the loan.    One of the interviewers brings up the risk, Chris talks about $25 loan model (even equating it to securitizing a loan) and claims that you can easily diversify.

Wall Street Journal from July, 2009
For example, the average lender on Prosper since the company’s inception in 2006 has lost 3.67% after charge-offs, though many of the earliest lenders lost much more. Since March 2007–when the company began providing more information about borrowers’ credit and employment histories–average lenders’ returns were negative 2.04%.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 02:35:30 am by triad »

JammingJAY

• Y35 \|/3 ÇÅ[/]'7!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2009, 07:10:35 am »

If repeated enough times, non-truth will eventually pass as truth.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/personalfinance/peer-to-peer-lending-grows-as-traditional-credit-sources-dry-up/1038399

I expect nothing less from pravda west.

I'm glad the Times is going broke, maybe the ST Pete Times can get a prosper loan.

The old rule has changed: it seems that people now do have a right not only to their own opinions, but to their own facts.

I'm now trysexual. The GLBT folks are so behind (no pun).

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2009, 07:20:29 pm »

This is what happens when newspapers share content, rather than doing their own work.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/With+credit+tight+borrowers+turn+peers/2039245/story.html

I do love how they added their own copyright notice on this...   :D
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

pioneer11

• 7/27/07-1/28/23
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2009, 07:26:34 pm »

This is what happens when newspapers share content, rather than doing their own work.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/With+credit+tight+borrowers+turn+peers/2039245/story.html

That is downright plagiarism.
Why should I save a dog for $19 per month when I can save a child for $10 per month?

Urbi_et_Orbi

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2009, 07:32:05 pm »

...or just a content sharing agreement...  I suspect we will see a LOT more of this in the future, as media outlets attempt to cut their costs.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"

Beerbud1

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2009, 07:36:47 pm »

Not really, the author is the same. Nancy Trejos. Does she work for more than one newspaper? Is her newspaper owned by a  conglomerate? I think thats the case.

pioneer11

• 7/27/07-1/28/23
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2009, 07:53:27 pm »

I do love how they added their own copyright notice on this...   :D
Not really, the author is the same. Nancy Trejos. Does she work for more than one newspaper? Is her newspaper owned by a  conglomerate? I think thats the case.
She is billed as a "Washington Post Staff Writer".  As such her employment agreement probably grants copyright of her work (on their dime) to her employer.  I have found no business link between the Calgary Herald and Washington Post.  First thing I checked was if the WP owned CH.

ETA: Forgot to mention that the WP page claims copyright.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:56:40 pm by pioneer11 »
Why should I save a dog for $19 per month when I can save a child for $10 per month?

Beerbud1

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2009, 07:59:43 pm »

Here is a link to the owners of the Calgary herald:

http://www.canwestglobal.com/brands/default.asp

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2009, 08:35:06 pm »

No one in Canada has ever been able to lend or borrow on any major US P2P platform, right? Why are they putting anything about US P2P companies in their paper?  :ninja:
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

TotoMMB

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2009, 12:19:22 am »

No one in Canada has ever been able to lend or borrow on any major US P2P platform, right? Why are they putting anything about US P2P companies in their paper?  :ninja:

Prosper can then claim that 100's of newspapers have written glowing reviews of the site. Nothing but filler on the "media" page of P.com.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2009, 01:51:06 am »

Guess what...there is a way to make comments regarding the credibility level of individual journalists...

http://www.newscred.com/author/show/name/nancy-trejos
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up