Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Fred93 blog - Prosper.com is near bankruptcy  (Read 39711 times)

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
Re: Fred93 blog - Prosper.com is near bankruptcy
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2010, 07:58:47 pm »

Good.  Keep her busy communicating directly with a bunch of individual lenders.

:D
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

christoofar215

• YO. LIKE MY FRO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2010, 08:17:19 pm »

...becoming subject to a bankruptcy or similar proceeding.

What proceedings are similar to bankruptcy?

A wind-down---which is what happens when a VC company that's mostly run off capital injections burns through all of its cash but isn't sitting on a mountain of debt (so outside creditors have claim to very little).   It's up to the VC partners then what to do.

AFAIK, Prosper didn't go out and borrow tons of money (because nobody would lend it to CL).   Prosper probably just has your run of the mill corporate small business debt but the loans are not part of that.   That's "committed cash" which just flows through Prosper but legally that money has to be distributed to lenders.

The VC injections are just that--injections by the "real" owners into the business.  They aren't creditors, either.   In a wind down CL would be stepping aside while the physical assets of the company are sold off (desks/chairs).   Prosper loses its office lease and then the platform has to be taken over by a custodian.   Because there's a bunch of different versions of the Lending Agreement floating around, it remains to be seen what realistically becomes of all the loans ex-post-bankrupt-o.I dunno, maybe I'm wrong.    There's the whole question of the secondary market as well.   Another big nightmare.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2010, 08:51:30 pm »

AFAIK, Prosper didn't go out and borrow tons of money (because nobody would lend it to CL).   Prosper probably just has your run of the mill corporate small business debt but the loans are not part of that.   That's "committed cash" which just flows through Prosper but legally that money has to be distributed to lenders.

The quarterly report says there's $1.7M of liabilities (including accounts payable, long term debt, etc), and the most recent investment from  Nigel Morris took the form of a "bridge loan".  This loan is intended to be converted to stock when a bigger investor comes along.  However if no bigger investor comes along, then Morris' investment is a loan, and they would enter bankruptcy with $1.7M+$1M of liabilities in addition to the "notes" sold to the lender members.  

Of course that $1.7M number was as of Sept 30, 2009.  Might be higher now.

So yea, you're right, they didn't borrow "tons" of money, but they do have nontrivial liabilities.

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2010, 09:10:01 pm »

bridge to nowhere
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

moremoneymarc

• Posts for Pro$pers.ORG use only +subject to recall
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2010, 06:02:43 am »

What would be the "canary in the coal mine" first indicator of imminent disaster?  Would there just be a bk filing or would bank withdrawals cease without warning preceeding a bk?   is claw back of transferred money for a time period a concern?

The_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2010, 08:28:18 am »

What would be the "canary in the coal mine" first indicator of imminent disaster?  Would there just be a bk filing or would bank withdrawals cease without warning preceeding a bk?   is claw back of transferred money for a time period a concern?

Marc,

We have already seen canary indicators IMO. The actions to censor first adopters, the actions to purge any transparency. The whole SEC mess. The inflated return claims. Turnover at the senior leadership levels. I could go on but it is clear to me this is a company which could close at any moment without warning and I don't need to see the financials make this statement. The actions of the company appear increasingly desperate.

onthefence

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2010, 02:49:03 pm »

Taking out loans using the lenders loans as collateral.
Lobby permission granted

Auream

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2010, 10:11:30 am »

Bump... shouldn't there be another 10-Q filed by now? The last one was filed 4 months ago. I just hope these guys keep going for at least another 10 months or so... just long enough for me to get all my money out!

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2010, 12:04:10 pm »

Bump... shouldn't there be another 10-Q filed by now? The last one was filed 4 months ago.

No.  This time the form is 10-K rather than 10-Q, and the SEC gives 'em longer to file 10-K.  The due date is April 1st.   Because they are a simple small company, one would imagine that the accounting is easy, and the thing could easily be done early, but I'm thinking that they are gonna file at the last minute on principle.

mothandrust

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2010, 12:28:54 pm »

The good news is, Prosper's management finally discovers that it has principles.

The bad news is, they are to vigorously oppose lenders and to procrastinate on filing financial statements.
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2010, 01:39:12 pm »

I don't think it is principles; rather, it is them wanting to keep that information out of the public eye for as long as possible.

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2010, 04:39:45 pm »

I don't think it is principles; rather, it is them wanting to keep that information out of the public eye for as long as possible.

+1.  I think that is virtually certain, because barring a last minute infusion of cash, it is probably going to show that Prosper is literally days from being broke. 
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2010, 08:24:19 pm »

That was the principle I had in mind.

christoofar215

• YO. LIKE MY FRO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2010, 11:01:51 pm »

Taking out loans using the lenders loans as collateral.

I guess in the banking world that would be called a "shit sandwhich"

Fred do you have any guesses as to what the next timeframe might be when we'll have another episode of "The Great Prosper Solvency Crisis"?

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2010, 12:05:41 am »

Fred do you have any guesses as to what the next timeframe might be when we'll have another episode of "The Great Prosper Solvency Crisis"?

As I understand SEC regulations, Prosper must file their annual report (form 10K) by April 1st.  Of course that will only tell us their financial condition at the end of December.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up