Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: I Also Got 25-30% Stolen From My Recovery Payments On Written Off Loan  (Read 110437 times)

mothandrust

• View Profile
Re: I Also Got 25-30% Stolen From My Recovery Payments On Written Off Loan
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 08:42:43 pm »

This looks like out of all the post-chargeoff payments they are taking 5.8% of the total amounts paid.
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin

Faithful_Steward1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 03:47:47 am »

No mine are 25-30%. They try to hide the fees but since all my loans are paid off or defaulted I can do the math easily where it shows $X collected then I go to amount available to withdraw and its only .75 x $X.

JGuide

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 09:19:24 am »

But this forum continues to hide the borrowers who have paid their loans in Full, showed their thanks, and get shunned from the "all mighty .org Public Forum".

This forum is highly censored to show only the bad side on PROSPERS.COM

Not sure censored is the correct term - but it does seem to me there are a few folks here who are trying to kill the P2P industry...

This forum serves an important role in pointing out problems and risks associated with P2P lending - but I do agree that it is slanted or skewed in the negative.  Folks should also know there are good peeps involved with Prosper and lots of people that are, in fact, making money.

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 10:29:05 am »

But this forum continues to hide the borrowers who have paid their loans in Full, showed their thanks, and get shunned from the "all mighty .org Public Forum".

Not sure censored is the correct term - but it does seem to me there are a few folks here who are trying to kill the P2P industry...

This forum serves an important role in pointing out problems and risks associated with P2P lending - but I do agree that it is slanted or skewed in the negative.  Folks should also know there are good peeps involved with Prosper and lots of people that are, in fact, making money.

People are free to say good things about Prosper here.
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 10:31:12 am »

People are free to say good things about Prosper here.

Of course they are.  Unfortunately for them, there is almost nothing good to say about Prosper. 
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

laxa

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 11:37:52 am »

I am living proof that you can be a successful prosper lender. I would lend more but my personal financial situation at the moment does not allow for the risk.

The main thing I can't understand about some of the posters here is how they can spend so much of their time on a message board bashing a company (Prosper) they no longer want to do business with. I mean thousands of posts in some cases meanwhile complaining about their loss of opportuity value (you know who you are). Why not spend all that time on some other venture that can earn you some money? I wonder which ones of you own LendingClub stock and have a self-interest in seeing the company go under. There are plenty of companies I choose to not do business with because I don't like them but I would definitely severly limit the time I spend online critiquing them.

Besides that, much of the critique of Prosper is unfair. Collections, for example, can be very expensive. Many collection agenices only profit because they are able to buy the debt for pennies on the dollar and can settle with the deadbeat. Prosper can't just accept less than full payment on a debt. It makes no sense to spend more money collecting than the added value the collections bring in.

Regarding selling the debt to JDB. Is it possible there are no JDB interested in this debt because it's type is unfamiliar to them? Perhaps this is not the case and then I stand corrected. I know individual posters here have offered to purchase individual bad loans, but realistically Prosper can not engage in trading single bad loans to individuals.

Regarding censoring and closing their own forums. I agree on this critique. But in the end they can do what they want with their assets and what the customer is free to do is stop procuring their goods and services. Show me another bank that allows more of it.

Regarding poor returns for lenders. Let's face it, every lender picked who they lended to. I agree that it is bad to advertise return numbers like the 10.4% on Prospers front page, but then again most companies use the asterisk method and the consumer is free to boycott.

Regarding not seeing sufficient borrower data on the listing page. Don't you think Prosper would like to show as much as they can? It would certainly be in their interest that lenders can pick fewer deadbeats to lend to. Could it be that there are some things that cannot be shown due to borrower privacy concerns?

I realize I will be flamed for this post, in best case ignored, but I have been reading silently for a long time and couldn't contain myself.

xraider

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 12:28:47 pm »

laxa, I'm glad you're a successful Prosper lender.  I hope the day doesn't come when Prosper's retroactive changes in the TOS impact your returns, as they did mine.

I remain here because I find the people and topics interesting.  If I have relevant information to share about Prosper, including the failure of collections on my account, and the failure of Prosper providing me ANY information on two-year-old bankruptcies, I will continue to post it, since I believe that information remains relevant to the lending community.

However, I will never lend on Prosper again.
Prosper missed me.  They lifted my suspension a day early.

TotoMMB

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 01:11:15 pm »

laxa...congrats on being ahead.

To sum my rebuttal to many of your points, it's not like Prosper opened their doors for business and people starting bashing. But when they made promises, offered info, touted what turned out to be pie-in-the-sky returns, lied (and continue to) constantly about the performance of the business, and have basically turned their backs on half of their customers (the lenders), you might understand why some folks are pissed.

Or let me put it this way: No one dates another person and immediately starts bad mouthing them. But, when he/she steals your things, ruins your credit, cheats on you, lies, manipulates, neglects the relationship and then leaves, maybe then you might have some ground to speak ill of them?

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 01:39:44 pm »

Laxa's comment shows his/her lack of exposure to the first two years of Prosper's existence.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

SLN

• View Profile
    • Lend Academy
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 03:51:21 pm »

Laxa,

Congrats on your positive returns, and also for your bravery in voicing a positive opinion about Prosper on this forum. No doubt, as Urbi suggests, you did miss the first two years of Prosper's existence. As did I. I am a new investor with Prosper and I appreciate this forum for giving me a more complete perspective of the company. But I will continue to invest, obviously with some wariness, until I see and experience these negative things for myself.

nonattender

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2010, 03:17:31 am »

http://www.ericscc.com/lenders/nonattender

My first loan was in early 2006, my last loan paid off a couple of days ago.  I came out ahead, as well...

I did some crazy shit.  The average credit grade I invested in was "NC" - which, for those of you who do not remember the "Wild West" days of Prosper, when pie-eyed lenders could fund anything they wanted, since *anyone* could list a loan, regardless of how awful their credit...or even if they had (N)o (C)redit, which was as risky as you could go.  Instead of fooling myself lending to AA's who were, in reality, living on "RE"ality with monstrous HELOCS and probably like five flips in the works, I went the opposite route...

Granted, I was experimenting for a reason, doing a sort of CapOne college kids / "let's see if I'm psychic" gig, testing my datamining skills at the same time I was testing my ability to read narratives, for bullshit.

But, I digress... (though, with a huge smile on my face, because it was damned fun and I learned a ton!)

I feel bad for the people who sought "safety", and invested in only high grade stuff, at fair market yields, but most of them skated by with "less-worse-than-banks" returns, at the time - but, sadly, no bailouts) - as they were buying similarly graded (Experian's ScoreX product, used back then, was modelled for mortgage lending, specifically - so... yeah!) paper that banks were at the time, but without the commensurate bailout - even though but, let's face it - there was a lot of greed those first couple years, too - especially at the beginning, as rate caps were at 50% for a little while - and especially as some larger lenders thought P2P would catch on much more quickly than it did (thus driving down the the rates on all the risky paper, including the RE AA's, living on their houses)and rushed to deploy as much capital as they could (sometimes, by investing their own house into people who wanted p2p loans because they'd already tapped out their own home...)

Anyway.  It was fun - but we didn't wind up calling those days the "Wild West" for nothing - and, oddly - we were mostly calling it the "Wild West", in the forums, while it was still the "wild west", so it's not as if since Prosper wasn't (as it couldn't, and still can't) guiding people away from risky stuff, that users didn't try to do that.  I see names still complaining here (about losing like 1% over 3 years - sure, sure, it's the principle, and you're only trying to "help" new lenders - with advice that's relevant to a platform that only exists several years in the past!  and doesnt even compare to the risk mgmt prosper - and LC - have in place today, but... OK!) who were told by other users it was a spec invest, that they ought to know that, and be very careful that they knew what they were doing, because, often frankly, it looked like they didn't.  I looked like I didn't, even though now I can say I had a "system" - but, I still got greedy one day and lent $87 to a guy named EvilDick66 (*i smite my forehead*) because I had $87 clear into my account that day, I just had to bid on something immediately, and he was at 29%.

What could possibly go wrong?  And, long story short, that's probably a good bit of why Prosper now has such tight credit standards, doesn't let anyone even list (much less for over $10k) if they're not super-prime, and generally took away tons of "freedom" from an initially open marketplace.  But do I see why?

Hell yeah.  Most lenders needed the rounded scissors.  A few more EvilDick66's and I mighta been one - because the thought of lending, that instant, at that attractive 29% rate, caused me to get so excited that I stabbed myself in the chest with the pointy ones.  All I can do now is own up to it, and be glad I caught it when I did.  (Some still haven't, because they never did.)

So, that's a very brief, not comprehensive, and relatively true account of "Prosper:  The Early Years"...

There was also a GREAT deal of intelligent discourse, tons of excitement, and wonderful collaboration - but that's another... post?  something, anyway.

-t
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:28:36 am by nonattender »
Nothing that I ever say is "professional advice" - principally, because I suffer from an infinitely inescapable prinicipal/agent problem, in that I am, in principle, always acting as my own agent.

Peer-to-Peer Lending & Personal Loan Information

God-Father

• Pay up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 04:38:27 am »

LAXA

I use to be an advocate of Prosper here, but now I frankly don't care one way or the other about Propser's future. 

I think I will end up with a 2% ROI.  I would consider lending on Prosper today if the state I live in was allowed to bid.  By the end of my bidding period, I was looking for people who I thought had a chance of paying off early.  This is because 3 years is a very long time for things to go right for well intentioned people who are living on the edge (most Prosper borrowers). 

I would probably only be bidding on 1 year term loans for the reasoning above and because I don't think Propser will still be in business in 3 years.  The risk of them poofing would keep me up at night if I had significant money invested.  Sadly I just looked and there are only 3 of 529 currentely listed loans that are 1 year term.  Really scary are the 17 loans listed for 5 year terms.

The tax implications of Prosper losses versus gains are a nuisance (see numerous threads here).

As far as some here wanting Prosper to die, I think most of them would settle for Larsen being replaced.

Good luck
GF

Beerbud1

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2010, 09:07:48 am »

I had 27% taken from a recovery I received yesterday. they took $2.89 from a $10.69 recovery.

SamuelPickwick

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2010, 08:14:14 am »

They took 27.5% from one of my recovery payments last week ($4.95/$18.00).  It was not indicated in any fee column; things just didn't add up.

mothandrust

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2010, 08:53:46 pm »

Does ladeeda have any comment on these 27.5% fees?
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up