Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: It Takes a Community to Repay a Loan: The Lessons of Prosper.com  (Read 85520 times)

God-Father

• Pay up!
    • View Profile
Re: It Takes a Community to Repay a Loan: The Lessons of Prosper.com
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 06:02:35 pm »

I was in it for the money.

havastat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 07:21:26 pm »

Agree. It was never anything remotely like the Kiva situations -- even if those figures are accurate.

Senator

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 08:40:23 am »

I think you are really lying to yourself if you think you do somebody a favor when you lend them money at 8%-35% interest. I have both borrowed and lent from and to friends and family in my life and every single one of those loans were at 0%. Prosper loans were never anything other than business transactions even though they might have been percieved differently by some.

Shouldn't we expect borrowers to make good on these business transactions?
Stats as of 12/29/2010:
Total withdrawals: $3,488.87 minus (-) Total deposits: $3,600.00 = ($111.13)
Cash balance: $0
Principal value of active notes:  $0
Total active notes: 0 of 70.

Successful loans are made to persons who are on a clear path to financial stability. -Mjerryfirst May 18th, 2008.

I know that when I make my 10% those "unbelievers" will call it luck cause that will be the easiest way to excuse their mistakes. -Researchpro May 5th, 2009.

It's a great time to be poor and irresponsible in America. -PPT May 2009

laxa

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 11:22:07 am »

Shouldn't we expect borrowers to make good on these business transactions?

Well, if we look at each individual borrower then yes. But when you look at all the borrowers as a group you are already charging the ones who pay extra interest to make up for the ones who don't pay.

If every borrower always paid back then shouldn't the interest rates be at or near CD rates?

uioped1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 05:26:00 pm »

I couldn't comment on the dailyfinance site, so I'll post it here...  Thanks for linking the article.

Alex Salkever,

I find your comparison between Prosper and the banking crisis to be unsupported in your article.  Specifically, the social ties that Prosper _did_ manage to allow -- specific knowledge of individual borrowers and their circumstances prior to investment -- was precisely that which you decry for not being present in mortgage-backed bonds.  This is not to say that there aren't comparisons to be drawn between the personal crisis of your lending portfolio and the greater banking crisis.  The first major comparison is that, contrary to what we were told when we were lending, these were largely stated-income loans.  Prosper did little if anything to verify information outside of a credit report.  While I cannot prove it (due to the restrictions you mention) I suspect that there was fairly significant fraud in borrower listings.  The second major similarity I saw was greed overshadowing common sense.  When you compare the listings on Prosper to those on Kiva, You neglected to compare the interest rates charged.  I fail to see how anyone can consider charging 30% (or even more!) on a loan to be "helping [their] fellow man" and yet in the higher-risk areas, these rates were common.  I wonder, had lower rates been charged, whether fewer of these loans would have ended up in default.  When bankers chased after impossible returns, it lead to the banking collapse.  When lenders on Prosper did the same, inevitably they saw their anticipated windfall evaporate.

Senator

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 06:44:41 pm »

I wonder, had lower rates been charged, whether fewer of these loans would have ended up in default. 

That experiment was tried and it failed.  Look up "Muleshoes".

Stats as of 12/29/2010:

Successful loans are made to persons who are on a clear path to financial stability. -Mjerryfirst May 18th, 2008.

I know that when I make my 10% those "unbelievers" will call it luck cause that will be the easiest way to excuse their mistakes. -Researchpro May 5th, 2009.

mothandrust

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 01:30:09 am »

Prosper has incrementally been homogenizing the listings to make them as anti-social as possible...

Removal of GL fees (effectively closing groups that "vetted" loans, since few will work for free)
Reduction of personal pictures from 4, to 1, now completely eliminated (only "stock" photos now)
Default to not show borrower's City (is the loan for real estate in Frisco or Fresno?)
Deletion of forums where borrowers and lenders could discuss listings
Portfolio Plans to encourage "blind" bidding on listings
Encouraging borrowers to leave listing text blank
Scrubbing PII on listings when the borrower voluntarily provided it
Removal of community payment option
No link to Groups on Home Page (next step: removal)

...and many other actions and inactions that we've forgotten about.
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin

Senator

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 08:34:50 am »

Default to not show borrower's City (is the loan for real estate in Frisco or Fresno?)

...and many other actions and inactions that we've forgotten about.

When Prosper removed the borrowers city the exposed the lender's state.  It used to be hidden.  When I asked my state to revert back to hidden, Prosper responded with silence.
Stats as of 12/29/2010:

kenL

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 10:46:12 am »

Encouraging borrowers to leave listing text blank
How do they encourage borrowers to leave the description blank?

God-Father

• Pay up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 07:53:55 pm »

For a while they were making some sort of quick listing where they didn't have to enter anything.  Prosper just put in some canned vebage.

mothandrust

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 11:49:07 pm »

IIRC if you met some numeric threshold while preparing your listing the system would explicitly say that writing a description was optional.  Was it just for AA's?
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up