Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Facebook fans are muzzled  (Read 20396 times)

onthefence

• View Profile
Re: Facebook fans are muzzled
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 08:24:17 pm »

So this makes the 3rd forum Prosper has gutted.
Lobby permission granted

onthefence

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2011, 08:28:10 pm »

I'd like to point out that facebook is an open communication platform.  Nothing prevents any of us from contacting those people posting comments on their facebook page and inviting them here for open discussion.
Lobby permission granted

ggmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2011, 11:04:43 pm »

I guess Prosper is taking some pages from the playbook of middle eastern governments, shutting down the means by which people can get to the "town square" to voice their concerns.

Seriously?  Comparing a private company regulated by the SEC (and by individually every state in the country) to a totalitarian government.  On this one, I think that Jon Stewart can explain it far better than I can.  In summary he says, "When it comes to civility and honesty and discourse, I have no problem with coarseness.  What I have a problem with is people using hyperbole to induce an irrational fear of a particular group with the goal of ultimately reducing their numbers.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-january-20-2011/word-warcraft

Perhaps you would be kind enough to point out where my comparison fails as it relates to methods employed by these two parties?

Also, for those playing along at home, Mr. Millar is, of course, a Prosper employee.

(Counting down to Prosper employees and their herd of thugs to come running here to post drive-by insults)

Since I am not answering your question in the capacity of a Prosper employee, I am not going to debate with the you the validity or invalidity of your claims.  I was trying to make one point only.  When you compare a private company to a totalitarian regime, you do a disservice to the people who live in those countries, and the hyperbole ultimately clouds your own argument. 

My point is this:  You are free to invest in Prosper.  You are free to not invest.  You are free to say bad things about Prosper.  You are free to launch this forum.  You are free to sue Prosper in a public court.  Prosper is a private company.  Many private companies operate with less transparency.  Many operate with more transparency.  That is the beauty of America.  We enjoy such freedoms.

People in many middle eastern countries would kill for those rights.  Do you know what would happen if someone in one of those totalitarian countries started a forum like this or attempted to recruit people via a forum like this.  They would very likely be taken away and beheaded.  I am fairly sure that Prosper can't do that.  In fact, I am fairly sure that Prosper can do nothing to stop you from having an open forum where you publicly criticize Prosper. 

You complain that Prosper closed down it's previous forum.  I personally don't know why, as I wasn't employed by Prosper at the time.  I do know this though.  That was their right.  We live in America.  They have no obligation to have a forum.  Just as it is your right to start up this forum.  The fact that Prosper chooses not allow Facebook comments is a far stretch from a country who systematically uses force to stop it's citizens from criticizing the government.  And as an aside, there are many financial institutions who follow the same protocol and don't allow comments on their Facebook fan page and many more that choose not to have a Facebook fan page at all. 

So before you start comparing an private company in America with a totalitarian Middle eastern government, I challenge you to go live in one of those countries for just a few months.  I have.  Start a forum like this complaining about the government.  I think at that point you would quickly understand what freedom of speech and information truly is.

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2011, 11:13:31 pm »

I guess Prosper is taking some pages from the playbook of middle eastern governments, shutting down the means by which people can get to the "town square" to voice their concerns.

Seriously?  Comparing a private company regulated by the SEC (and by individually every state in the country) to a totalitarian government.  On this one, I think that Jon Stewart can explain it far better than I can.  In summary he says, "When it comes to civility and honesty and discourse, I have no problem with coarseness.  What I have a problem with is people using hyperbole to induce an irrational fear of a particular group with the goal of ultimately reducing their numbers.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-january-20-2011/word-warcraft

Perhaps you would be kind enough to point out where my comparison fails as it relates to methods employed by these two parties?

Also, for those playing along at home, Mr. Millar is, of course, a Prosper employee.

(Counting down to Prosper employees and their herd of thugs to come running here to post drive-by insults)

Since I am not answering your question in the capacity of a Prosper employee, I am not going to debate with the you the validity or invalidity of your claims.  I was trying to make one point only.  When you compare a private company to a totalitarian regime, you do a disservice to the people who live in those countries, and the hyperbole ultimately clouds your own argument. 

My point is this:  You are free to invest in Prosper.  You are free to not invest.  You are free to say bad things about Prosper.  You are free to launch this forum.  You are free to sue Prosper in a public court.  Prosper is a private company.  Many private companies operate with less transparency.  Many operate with more transparency.  That is the beauty of America.  We enjoy such freedoms.

People in many middle eastern countries would kill for those rights.  Do you know what would happen if someone in one of those totalitarian countries started a forum like this or attempted to recruit people via a forum like this.  They would very likely be taken away and beheaded.  I am fairly sure that Prosper can't do that.  In fact, I am fairly sure that Prosper can do nothing to stop you from having an open forum where you publicly criticize Prosper. 

You complain that Prosper closed down it's previous forum.  I personally don't know why, as I wasn't employed by Prosper at the time.  I do know this though.  That was their right.  We live in America.  They have no obligation to have a forum.  Just as it is your right to start up this forum.  The fact that Prosper chooses not allow Facebook comments is a far stretch from a country who systematically uses force to stop it's citizens from criticizing the government.  And as an aside, there are many financial institutions who follow the same protocol and don't allow comments on their Facebook fan page and many more that choose not to have a Facebook fan page at all. 

So before you start comparing an private company in America with a totalitarian Middle eastern government, I challenge you to go live in one of those countries for just a few months.  I have.  Start a forum like this complaining about the government.  I think at that point you would quickly understand what freedom of speech and information truly is.

Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

onthefence

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 12:29:49 pm »

Some follow through with their fiduciary responsibilities.  Some do not.  Some advertise false or extremely misleading interest rates, some do not.

Do you know what would happen if someone in one of those totalitarian countries started a forum like this or attempted to recruit people via a forum like this.  They would very likely be taken away and beheaded.
<3

In fact, I am fairly sure that Prosper can do nothing to stop you from having an open forum where you publicly criticize Prosper.  I am fairly sure that Prosper can't do that.
That's because actually Prosper tried and failed to put a stop to it.
Lobby permission granted

P2PLender25

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2011, 09:52:52 pm »

To the Prosper Employee....

I would like to point out that by registering as a member or, signing in, and especially commenting on this forum are not in your, or the companies best interest. I would find this a total clash of interests, and unacceptable. Why do you people find a need to be involved in the "gossip" about your company? You should be focusing your time on more important things like growing your business, and not find a need to defend yourselves here. Especially when your discussing more personal matters here.

I would find it acceptable if one designated reps. from Prosper was active on this forum with the sole intention or purpose of learning more about what investors want from Prosper. Commenting in things like this are totally out of line.

onthefence

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 12:19:34 am »

To the Prosper Employee....
Wow.  Way to be a hard ass.

I would like to point out that by registering as a member or, signing in, and especially commenting on this forum are not in your, or the companies best interest.
Keeping an eye on what people think of the company, it's service and occasionally popping in to correct misconceptions has it's value.

I would find this a total clash of interests, and unacceptable.
It's fine with us.  Why the beef?  Are you a shareholder, employee or contractor yourself?  If so, you would be a total hypocrite.

Why do you people find a need to be involved in the "gossip" about your company?
Because it isn't all "gossip".  Some serious issues about the company get brought up here that fail to make it through Prosper's customer service department.  When these issues don't get addressed, they eventually find their way into more public outlets and news sources.  Sometimes directly.  Sometimes people who don't even visit this forum bring them up.

You should be focusing your time on more important things like growing your business, and not find a need to defend yourselves here. Especially when your discussing more personal matters here.
Hey slave driver, it's the weekend!

I would find it acceptable if one designated reps. from Prosper was active on this forum with the sole intention or purpose of learning more about what investors want from Prosper. Commenting in things like this are totally out of line.
And who are you again to determine what is acceptable and what is not acceptable?
Lobby permission granted

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2011, 01:21:31 am »

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the ramblings of a 15 year old keyboard cowboy.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

Staneslav

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2011, 09:28:10 am »

a
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:25:47 pm by Staneslav »
Look to my coming, at first light, on the day of the Cub's mathematical elimination. At dawn, look to the NL Central.
My apologies to Tolkien.

rogerwaite

• AKA mrbalingwire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011, 10:49:11 am »

Hyperbole is a two-edged sword. No wait - that's simile.

Urbi is merely guilty of rhetoric, nothing more.

JammingJAY

• Y35 \|/3 ÇÅ[/]'7!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2011, 06:44:32 am »

:D

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:07:38 pm by JammingJAY »
The old rule has changed: it seems that people now do have a right not only to their own opinions, but to their own facts.

I'm now trysexual. The GLBT folks are so behind (no pun).

baldeagle

• Its going to be a great day!
    • View Profile
    • EaglePost.net
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2011, 08:18:29 am »

For the record, most of you know this, but Prosper has never understood who the customer is.  In the beginning there were Group Leaders, Lenders and Borrowers.  Prosper always saw the Borrower as the customer.  Group Leaders were sacrificed.  Lenders were persecuted. 

No matter what Prosper does, they will never recognize the customer is the one who makes the service possible in the first place.  They want to treat lenders as vendors.  They have it backwards.

Poor execution. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up