Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Prosper class action update (for lobby)  (Read 120865 times)

SamuelPickwick

• View Profile
Re: Prosper class action update (for lobby)
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2012, 10:41:07 am »

Hmm. Perhaps the notice going out will spark a reunion of sorts, with old prosper/Org lenders and borrowers stopping in to say hello.  That would be a good thing.

Good call!  A reunion it is.  Even the rebel spy.  The Congressman (L.) has not shown up yet though.

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2012, 11:20:39 am »

This thread is turning into an awesome list of names living on memory lane.

JGuide

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2012, 12:31:15 pm »

I opted out.

I very much respect most of the folks on this forum and have learned an incredible amount.   I feel terrible for those on this forum that have lost large sums of money.

I have been investing on Prosper since 2008 and still believe in the concept of Peer-to-Peer lending.  I make decision on investing for myself and attempt my own due diligence.  I do not feel I lost money due to any actions on Prospers part and I do not support actions that can put this fledgling industry in jeopardy.

Just my two cents as I sometimes feel my point of view is underrepresented on these boards.

Cheers from Afghanistan,
     JGuide

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2012, 12:57:29 pm »

I opted out.

I very much respect most of the folks on this forum and have learned an incredible amount.   I feel terrible for those on this forum that have lost large sums of money.

I have been investing on Prosper since 2008 and still believe in the concept of Peer-to-Peer lending.  I make decision on investing for myself and attempt my own due diligence.  I do not feel I lost money due to any actions on Prospers part and I do not support actions that can put this fledgling industry in jeopardy.

Just my two cents as I sometimes feel my point of view is underrepresented on these boards.

Thanks -- more money for us.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

Beerbud1

« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2012, 01:16:20 pm »

Loan Performance Summary for lender JGuide: .
All Loans
ROI:   10.45% (+-0.16%)
Rate of Loss:   7.6%
Peer Rank:   Better than 97.1%
Total Lent:   939 loans, $90,890
Remaining:   $25,244
Net Gain:   $8,590 (+-$134)
Prosper Rating:   D+
Interest Rate:   20.76%
Loan Age:   20 months

Post SEC Registration Loans
ROI:   12.56%
Rate of Loss:   6.86%
Peer Rank:   Better than 91%
Total Lent:   676 loans, $73,656
Remaining:   $25,244
Net Gain:   $7,699
Prosper Rating:   D+
Interest Rate:   21.75%
Loan Age:   17.4 months

Pre SEC Registration Loans
ROI:   4.26%
Rate of Loss:   9.77%
Peer Rank:   Better than 97.9%
Total Lent:   263 loans, $17,235
Remaining:   $0
Net Gain:   $891
Credit Grade:   C
Interest Rate:   16.54%
Loan Age:   36 months

xraider

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2012, 02:58:56 pm »

JGuide, glad you're happy with your returns. Most of us Prosper 1 lenders are incensed, both with our miserable rates of return but, more importantly, over Prosper's lack of ethics.

If you're happy with the company that's great. Of course, opting out gives you the right to sue for fraud etc later.
Prosper missed me.  They lifted my suspension a day early.

Capital_Finance_Group

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2012, 04:55:15 pm »

Got a notice via snail-mail too - in addition to the Email received last weekend.
(No, I don't have more than one Prosper account.)
I got both too.

As of 15 minutes ago I also have now received both.
FWIW I am officially a "Do Nothing" and will remain a part of the class.
Whatever I receive, if anything, is what I will be happy to receive.

pioneer11

• 7/27/07-1/28/23
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2012, 05:04:20 pm »

I am sticking with the class and take my $5-10 share of the pot.
Why should I save a dog for $19 per month when I can save a child for $10 per month?

autoloads

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2012, 06:26:02 pm »

Finally received my notification via mail.  It's hard to believe I started lending in June of 2006.

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2012, 08:50:14 pm »

Finally received my notification via mail. 

Yep, came in today.
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

Oak_Hill_Fire

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2012, 07:10:43 am »

Nice to see you all again. Got both - snail mail Friday. I'd be thrilled to just get back an amount to cover the loan or 2 that made between 0 and 1 payments before going bad. None resulted in repurchase. And, I've never been able to get responses to emails about BK status.
It would be easier to teach a chicken to tap dance than it would be to teach PROSPER common sense.

rogerwaite

• AKA mrbalingwire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2012, 09:02:34 am »

Got it!

havastat

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2012, 12:05:01 pm »

I also have mixed feelings about the suit. On the one hand, there's a "ya pays ya money ya takes ya chances" element to any new venture, and in any business the people who think up the concept aren't always the best people at execution, so there's always risk with investing in a business run by the original concept developers. I think if one thinks of Prosper as an internet business its outcome was pretty much par for the course. Lots of internet start-ups tanked after receiving millions of dollars in investors' money; and lots of times the founders simply hadn't thought through how their product would actually work in the marketplace,and  left gaps in their business plans or operations that would look glaringly obvious in hindsight. But often, those gaps just weren't so obvious at the time, or internet entrepreneurs (and their investors) just had too much blind faith the internet would revolutionize everything to take seriously the idea that older business' problems could not only apply to them too but could bring them down.

From the point of view of a financial company, Prosper 1.0 can look pretty negligent. They didn't grasp the legal climate they had to work in. They didn't take fraud seriously enough. They believed in, and hyped, extremely optimistic projections, presenting them as fact. They sometimes treated their more articulate customers as if they were trouble-makers rather than valuable sources of feedback and insight. They clung to rosy scenarios long after it became impossible for more sober observers to take them seriously, and they shut their ears to "trouble-makers" long after more mature businesses would have realized they needed to listen.

For an established and traditionally sober industry like retail finance, this is not so good. But for a dot-com start up, or for that matter a high-flying hedge fund, both their hype and their mistakes are probably pretty normal. One of Prospers' biggest problems, like SEGWAY's, was not understanding the legal climate they had to operate in -- they had to fit into categories the law had already established and make them work; they didn't have the ability to simply come in and sweep those categories away.

It could be argued -- Chris Larsen has argued it plenty of times -- that those categories are archaic. But like laws against motorized vehicles on sidewalks, banking and securities laws are designed to keep pedestrians and on-lookers from getting crashed into if the fast-zipping early adapters turn out to have made mistakes. They are designed, after all, because the Internet and hedge fund industries are hardly the first industries to have attracted arrogant Masters of the Universe types who know better than everyone else and think everyone else will just step aside to let their new toy zip by, and should be grateful for the chance to blindly fork over our cash to pay for it. Nor will they be the last. Sometimes the arrogant folks really do know better than we mortals. Steve Jobs seems to be one of the type. But quite often they don't, or at least they don't know everything. Sometimes we mortals, so stuck in the past that we stupidly think it has lessons applicable to the future, actually do know something that the Masters overlooked.

Prosper 1.0 would seem to be one of those times.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:38:16 pm by havastat »

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2012, 12:12:26 pm »

Havastat.. Theres hundreds of examples where this company flat out lied. I'm not sure if you were around for the official forums but if you were,you must be living with blinders on.

Hundreds of people pointed out fraud,lies, & misleading info only to have the situation scrubbed instead of being fixed.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

SamuelPickwick

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2012, 12:31:31 pm »

<snip>  It's hard to believe I started lending in June of 2006.
Yeah, no kidding.  I started in early 2007, and it doesn't seem that long ago that I was looking at listings and reading this forum every day.

I just checked my account, and there is nearly 4 spuds on the cash balance line!  With that, and whatever comes from a settlement, I might be able to buy a pizza.  With toppings.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Up