Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Prosper lawsuit  (Read 83185 times)

Greebo

• Fight Online Censorship
    • View Profile
Re: Prosper lawsuit
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 09:08:42 am »

Keep in mind that subpoenas & deposing cost $$
Which, if they lose, will be paid by Prosper - food for the VC thought...

If you really want change...vote 3rd party.

leporello

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 09:43:42 am »

Why Islandmele? What does she have to do with any of this?

I'm sure there is a lot more to her relationship with Prosper than they want us to know about.
Care to develop that thought? What exactly are you implying? I believe Islandmele is and has been completely above board in all her dealings with Prosper. I'd love to know what you're suggesting here.

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 10:13:47 am »

I don't know what Islandmele does professionaly, but I wish Prosper would offer shira's job to her even if it's part-time and not on-site.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

leporello

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 10:50:29 am »

I don't know what Islandmele does professionaly, but I wish Prosper would offer shira's job to her even if it's part-time and not on-site.
That would be a super idea. That would even get me bidding again.

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 12:20:56 pm »

I wouldn't wish working for P------r on my worst enemy. IMO, Islandmele would get so frustrated after a few weeks we'd actually see her get mad about something :) But from what I can tell, she has been 100% honest about any "perks" she's received from them. Face it, she is one if not the only group that actually functions as they wanted groups to function. They are going to want to parade her out in front of everyone at every possible chance.
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 01:06:02 pm »

well, Im not so sure islandmele would accept an offer like that but if I were Prosper I would still make the attempt.

you're

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 01:08:37 pm »

I would supoena:
1)All 520k+ Prosper members.

Luckily there's a guy called "the judge" in our system.  His job is to laugh and tell you to go to hell when you make an absurd request.  He uses more diplomatic language, but that's the essential meaning.

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 05:47:17 pm »

I would supoena:

Luckily there's a guy called "the judge" in our system.  His job is to laugh and tell you to go to hell when you make an absurd request.  He uses more diplomatic language, but that's the essential meaning.

Depends on the judge.  There are some that use even less diplomatic language.  ;D

Incidentally, a pretty good rule of thumb is about $1K per deposition day just for the court reporter and transcript. 

leporello

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 06:28:28 pm »

I would supoena:

Maybe instead of subpoenaing all 520K+ Prosper members, we could subpoena all Prosper members with $520K invested.
That would be only six people, of whom at least 4.5 would be on the side of Truth and Justice.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 06:39:41 pm »

Maybe instead of subpoenaing all 520K+ Prosper members, we could subpoena all Prosper members with $520K invested.  That would be only six people, of whom at least 4.5 would be on the side of Truth and Justice.

On the contrary, I'd say supoena small investors.  They're more likely to have a good impact on the jury.  Folks who can't afford to lose their nest egg. 

leporello

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 07:22:36 pm »

Maybe instead of subpoenaing all 520K+ Prosper members, we could subpoena all Prosper members with $520K invested.  That would be only six people, of whom at least 4.5 would be on the side of Truth and Justice.

On the contrary, I'd say supoena small investors.  They're more likely to have a good impact on the jury.  Folks who can't afford to lose their nest egg. 

OK, fine...but how do we identify those people? You can presumably afford to lose your Prosper investment, as can I, and everybody in between. How should we identify lenders who are likely to get hurt by Prosper? I could search for HR blenders. Any other ideas?

Risk_Reward

• [quote author=ira01 link=topic=29057.msg527926#msg
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 07:33:26 pm »

OK, fine...but how do we identify those people? You can presumably afford to lose your Prosper investment, as can I, and everybody in between. How should we identify lenders who are likely to get hurt by Prosper? I could search for HR blenders. Any other ideas?

How about someone who took at a loan against their house to lend on Prosper.  Let me think,do we know anyone like that? hmmmmmmmm....   :ninja:
Real libertarian

leporello

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 07:42:14 pm »

How about someone who took at a loan against their house to lend on Prosper.  Let me think,do we know anyone like that? hmmmmmmmm....   :ninja:
Right, but is he financially hurting? Somehow I don't think so, even though he took a bath on Prosper -- on borrowed money at that. It's no different from margin borrowing at Fidelity or Schwab or wherever.

Caladia

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 07:44:29 pm »

You could do an informal survey asking people what portion of their "nest egg" they've invested in Prosper, or if you wanted to get at it differently, what portion of their income they invested.  Of course, that's all self-reported so not the most reliable info, but it's what you have to work with. 

(I was going to suggest going by how much people have invested, but I think that's more often going to be an indicator of caution than $$ available.  There could be a number of people who have great pots of money but looked at how new and potentially risky Prosper seemed, and only tossed in a small amount at first, as a test to see if it would be a viable investment.  Then of course they learned more about Prosper and declined to put in any more.)

Accept the ease with which it can be done.

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 07:56:28 pm »

You could do an informal survey asking people what portion of their "nest egg" they've invested in Prosper, or if you wanted to get at it differently, what portion of their income they invested.  Of course, that's all self-reported so not the most reliable info, but it's what you have to work with. 

(I was going to suggest going by how much people have invested, but I think that's more often going to be an indicator of caution than $$ available.  There could be a number of people who have great pots of money but looked at how new and potentially risky Prosper seemed, and only tossed in a small amount at first, as a test to see if it would be a viable investment.  Then of course they learned more about Prosper and declined to put in any more.)

This is a good idea, but I bet a lot of Prosper lenders (fewer at .org than elsewhere, but still a lot) would not even know the answers to your questions...  I got the definite impression that for many smaller lenders, prosper was their first investment vehicle of any kind...  A lot of them probably don't have budgets themselves, let alone a knowledge of portfolio allotment, et. al...

Your second paragraph is also true.  While the "how much are we worth?" thread suggests theat .org members have lent several millions of dollars, perhaps as much as 5-6% of the total amout lent at Prosper, maybe even more, I know I didn't put in a quarter of what I was contemplating putting in, simply because it didn't feel safe.  To me, putting money in a choppy, up-and-down stock market during a bad economy is safer than putting it in Prosper.

When all is said and done, I have about 3%-4% of my investment assets tied up in Prosper, which seems like too much now that I look at that firgure.  As for portion of income, that is very misleading.  Beginning today (YAY!) I am taking a semi-sabbatical and switching to morning work only.  My plan is to never return to fulltime work again, except for myself...  So as a portion of my annual salary, the Prosper stake will look inflated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up