Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prosper lawsuit  (Read 82656 times)

Caladia

• View Profile
Re: Prosper lawsuit
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 08:07:35 pm »

You could do an informal survey asking people what portion of their "nest egg" they've invested in Prosper, or if you wanted to get at it differently, what portion of their income they invested.  Of course, that's all self-reported so not the most reliable info, but it's what you have to work with. 

(I was going to suggest going by how much people have invested, but I think that's more often going to be an indicator of caution than $$ available.  There could be a number of people who have great pots of money but looked at how new and potentially risky Prosper seemed, and only tossed in a small amount at first, as a test to see if it would be a viable investment.  Then of course they learned more about Prosper and declined to put in any more.)

This is a good idea, but I bet a lot of Prosper lenders (fewer at .org than elsewhere, but still a lot) would not even know the answers to your questions...  I got the definite impression that for many smaller lenders, prosper was their first investment vehicle of any kind...  A lot of them probably don't have budgets themselves, let alone a knowledge of portfolio allotment, et. al...

Your second paragraph is also true.  While the "how much are we worth?" thread suggests theat .org members have lent several millions of dollars, perhaps as much as 5-6% of the total amout lent at Prosper, maybe even more, I know I didn't put in a quarter of what I was contemplating putting in, simply because it didn't feel safe.  To me, putting money in a choppy, up-and-down stock market during a bad economy is safer than putting it in Prosper.

When all is said and done, I have about 3%-4% of my investment assets tied up in Prosper, which seems like too much now that I look at that firgure.  As for portion of income, that is very misleading.  Beginning today (YAY!) I am taking a semi-sabbatical and switching to morning work only.  My plan is to never return to fulltime work again, except for myself...  So as a portion of my annual salary, the Prosper stake will look inflated.

Quick hijack here: 

Hey, TJ, congrats on being able to cut back on your work hours!  That rocks.  Did you ever read the Travis McGee novels by John D. McDonald?  Your post reminds me of the main character, who takes his retirement in chunks, while he's still young enough to enjoy it.  :)

/hijack

You're right, the income measure wouldn't give accurate numbers.  People's income fluctuates way too much. 
Accept the ease with which it can be done.

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 08:21:44 pm »

Quick hijack here: 

Hey, TJ, congrats on being able to cut back on your work hours!  That rocks.  Did you ever read the Travis McGee novels by John D. McDonald?  Your post reminds me of the main character, who takes his retirement in chunks, while he's still young enough to enjoy it.  :)

/hijack

Thanks Caladia, it really does feel good.  Like I'm a bird let out of its cage.  I've not read John D. McDonald, although my parents were fans.  I'll check out the McGee novels (I'll have more reading time now...).  His philosophy does indeed mirror my own.  I'm just happy I've reached that stage now...  8)

Sorry for the hijack too, carry on!  ;)

xraider

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2007, 08:25:11 pm »

TJ, I'm jealous.

One of my coworkers is going on an indefinite sabbatical and I asked when I could go on one.  The response: When are your kids out of college?  I'll be working for a LONG time.
Prosper missed me.  They lifted my suspension a day early.

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2007, 08:31:28 pm »

TJ, I'm jealous.

One of my coworkers is going on an indefinite sabbatical and I asked when I could go on one.  The response: When are your kids out of college?  I'll be working for a LONG time.

I always figured I'd be married with kids by now, but it didn't turn out that way...  No regrets though, and never having been married or had kids means I've been able to avoid spending, what?  a quarter of a million dollars over a kids lifetime?  I wonder if Travis McGee has kids...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 08:42:58 pm by Tokyo Joe »

chameleon734

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2007, 08:34:50 pm »

I would supoena:

1)All 520k+ Prosper members. (If court procedural rules limit the number of people I can bring in or it's limited due to cost constraints, even .1% of that amount or 520 people is a lot. This would be split 60%/40% between lenders/borrowers)
2)The Prosper VC's.
3)All current/former Prosper employees
4)All former employees of Red Gorilla.
5)All current/former emplyers/friends of Chris Larsen, John Witchel, Ed Giedgowd, Kirk Inglis, Catherine Muriel, Chris Denend, Doug Fuller, and Thomas Pigowski up to 10 years back.
6)All current/former employers/friends of the Prosper VC's up to 10 years back.
7)All current/former employers/friends of Prosper Shira up to 10 years back.

ETA:
1)Limited to 50 Prosper members (50)
2)Limited to 2 random VCs (2)
3)Limited to 10 random current/former employees (10)
4)Limited to 10 random former employees (10)
5)Limited to 2 random friends of each person (16)
6)Limited to 2 random friends of 4 VCs ( 8 )
7)Limited to 5 random friends of Shira Lavine (5)
Total: 101 witnesses @ $1.250k per deposition day+$250 per supoena.

I use a different name on Steam and unless I know you IRL I won't add you as a friend on FB.

HollowOak

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2007, 09:59:54 pm »

One of my favorite vacation-reading authors. Although I sense that the times have moved on - for Travis McGee and his easy sex and desirable women as it did for James Bond and his easy conquests. The part about Travis McGee I liked most was his description of the destruction of the "true" Florida - the Florida of beach bums, sun-tanned women and strong drinks.

I think it was the first series of books that the titles were "themed" as in they all had a color in the title. I don't think I've ever managed to read all of them, although I believe MDonald's children (son?) has reissued the entire series.
Old Stump
My blog

Caladia

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2007, 10:22:43 pm »

One of my favorite vacation-reading authors. Although I sense that the times have moved on - for Travis McGee and his easy sex and desirable women as it did for James Bond and his easy conquests. The part about Travis McGee I liked most was his description of the destruction of the "true" Florida - the Florida of beach bums, sun-tanned women and strong drinks.

I think it was the first series of books that the titles were "themed" as in they all had a color in the title. I don't think I've ever managed to read all of them, although I believe MDonald's children (son?) has reissued the entire series.

Oh now see, you're feeding the hijacking of this thread! :P  I *love* all of John D. MacDonald's books.  I comb used bookstores for 'em.  You usually see them in protective plastic covers nowdays.  Yes, the times have moved on, and he does write from a very 1950s male standpoint, but I just read 'em from that perspective and enjoy them.  (I do the same thing with old Perry Mason novels.)  Reading them today is not the same as reading them back in the day would have been, but it's like watching old movies-- I enjoy the nostalgia of them as much as anything.  And oh my could that man write.

agentj

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2007, 12:33:52 pm »

I always figured I'd be married with kids by now, but it didn't turn out that way...  No regrets though, and never having been married or had kids means I've been able to avoid spending, what?  a quarter of a million dollars over a kids lifetime?  I wonder if Travis McGee has kids...
[/quote]

In "The Lonely Silver Rain" it is revealed that Travis did indeed have a daughter.  I believe that is the last of the Travis McGee series.....

Caladia

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2007, 01:03:09 pm »

In "The Lonely Silver Rain" ...  I believe that is the last of the Travis McGee series.....

Agentj!  Spoiler alert!  Don't ruin it for him-- let him read the books!  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up