Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Default percentages after the recent debt sale  (Read 29554 times)

leporello

Re: Default percentages after the recent debt sale
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 11:36:14 am »

I'm not following why, in the spreadsheet, the "Defaulted (Bankruptcy)" row has 0% and $0 in the "expected default %" and "$ total" columns, respectively?  Shouldn't it be 100% like the "Defaulted (Delinquency)" row?
That's very easy to explain. It's called a howling error on my part! I really must be more careful when I post this stuff. A corrected spreadsheet is attached, which shows the LepIra projected defaults now at 22.1%
And is it assumed that the odds of a borrower who reverses a payment which PIF'd the loan and then goes on to default too insignificant to consider?  I would agree that this would be quite rare.  But I thought I'd mention that technically, I think PAID loans still have a 60 day window of defaulting.
I haven't taken that consideration into account at all, but if anyone has any stats on that kind of event, I'll be glad to incorporate them.

leporello

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 11:37:20 am »

The assumption is that
*   50% of currently "Late" loans will default,
*   85% of currently 1-month-late loans will default,
*   90% of currently 2-month-late loans will default,
*   95% of currently 3-month-late loans will default, and
* 100% of currently 4-month-late loans will default
From the spreadsheet, I gather these are percentages of the original loan values, not of the outstanding loan balances at the time of default?  If yes, I think on the whole, the resulting numbers are a bit too pessimistic.
That is correct. This is intended to be a back-of-the-envelope calculation, not a Fred93-esque scholarly treatise!

traveler505

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 11:44:10 am »

Looking at this page:

http://www.lendingstats.com/loansFunded

It appears that, by the time loans originated in February 2007 or earlier are one year old, they settle in to a rather consistent range of 20%-25% late/defaulted.

It is possible that a new plateau was established in the 15% range for loans originated in March 2007 or later. 

Note that the percentages are calculated based on amount of principal loaned, not amount of principal now due.

"Trav, you can always take up another hobby..." -- BigGulp

Now blogging at http://blog.traveler505.com, home of the MNH Reports and other commentary on Prosper.com and P2P lending in general.

Need Help with Credit Repair & Rebuilding?  Try CreditBoards.com.

NewHorizon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 11:47:18 am »

The assumption is that
From the spreadsheet, I gather these are percentages of the original loan values, not of the outstanding loan balances at the time of default?  If yes, I think on the whole, the resulting numbers are a bit too pessimistic.
That is correct. This is intended to be a back-of-the-envelope calculation, not a Fred93-esque scholarly treatise!

OK, I can live with that.  ;)  But of course the significance of this inaccuracy will grow over time as the average defaulted balances - as a percentage of the original loan value - decreases (as I think you already know).  So you might find yourself compelled to address this at some point in the future.

As for data on PAID loans which go on to default, I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't even happened (yet?).  But I just thought I'd stick that possibility into people's noggins.  ;)

leporello

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 12:02:55 pm »

It appears that, by the time loans originated in February 2007 or earlier are one year old, they settle in to a rather consistent range of 20%-25% late/defaulted.
That's a great way of looking at the data. Thanks for pointing that out, Trav!

ks6328

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 03:14:38 pm »

The assumption is that

I took it to be the number of loans.  NH is talking about dollars, and specifically the original loan amount.  You're agreeing with him.  Are you sure that you should be?

leporello

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 03:24:51 pm »

I understand your point, and I did not express my assumptions clearly. I should have said the following:

The assumption is that
*   50% of the dollar value of currently "Late" loans will default,
*   85% of the dollar value of currently 1-month-late loans will default,
*   90% of the dollar value of currently 2-month-late loans will default,
*   95% of the dollar value of currently 3-month-late loans will default, and
* 100% of the dollar value of currently 4-month-late loans will default

NewHorizon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 03:29:33 pm »

Just fwiw, I thought the spreadsheet was already straight-forward on the "dollar value" thing...

leporello

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 03:51:04 pm »

Agreed, but my assumptions as I wrote them out did make it sound like I was counting the # of loans, and not the $ value, and I wanted to clarify that for ks6328's benefit.

Capital_Finance_Group

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 07:21:54 pm »

anyone care to convert this to an annual default rate?

In layman's terms - "a heaping whole bunch"
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 07:24:42 pm by Capital_Finance_Group »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up