Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Prosper makes good on past errors  (Read 69621 times)

HollowOak

• View Profile
Prosper makes good on past errors
« on: January 05, 2008, 08:58:40 am »

Thanks to RateLadder I got to scoop this Announcement from PMI re some of the MNH reports from Traveler505.

Seems somewhere they still have an honest bone in their bodies. I especially liked the concluding paragraphs:

Interest paid on all refunds

Also, because Prosper was clearly in error the application of all of the above payments in question, and our error involves a time delay between when Prosper should have made payments to lenders, Prosper will pay interest at California’s legal rate of 7% on all amounts due to the affected lenders or GLs, from the date the payment should have been made. Interest will be paid in all 3 situations mentioned above.

Again we apologize for these errors and appreciate these matters being brought to our attention.
Old Stump
My blog

leporello

Re: Prosper makes good on past errors
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:01:26 am »

What amazes me is that they actually credited Trav for bringing this issue to their attention:

We want to thank and acknowledge Traveler505 for bringing these errors to our attention. This is an example of how the Prosper community helps us improve the site and our operations on an ongoing basis.

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:02:07 am »

Scoop?  It's on the blog

ETA: I already posted about this in general
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 09:04:00 am by bamalucky »
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 09:05:08 am »

Honest bone - or a result of Trav's latest missive with the extensive cc-list to regulatory agencies?
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

leporello

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 09:12:08 am »

Honest bone - or a result of Trav's latest missive with the extensive cc-list to regulatory agencies?
It seems pretty clear that none of this would have happened had Trav not raised holy hell.

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:10:03 am »

when did trav first mention these items?

.. in any event, I'm glad to see Prosper doing something other than banning people or censoring/ignoring the problem.

it's definitely a positive step
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

lenderguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 11:17:06 am »

Since we all expected Zopa to be Prosper's savior, I vote that instead of returning the MNH funds to us, that they be donated to charity instead.  I mean, the cost of returning a few misplaced pennies to how many lenders isn't worth it, right?

http://talk.zopa.com//index.php?showtopic=1920&hl=charity

msava

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 11:18:12 am »

WTG Trav, thanks for watching our money.
" Ten percent of what you eat feeds you, 90 percent feeds your doctor."

msava

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 11:21:26 am »

Since we all expected Zopa to be Prosper's savior, I vote that instead of returning the MNH funds to us, that they be donated to charity instead.  I mean, the cost of returning a few misplaced pennies to how many lenders isn't worth it, right?

Wrong, I want my .0004 pennies.

lenderguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 11:33:11 am »

Wrong, I want my .0004 pennies.

My post was full of sarcasm, fyi ;)

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 11:49:44 am »

That is good news, although quite belated.  Way to go Traveler.

traveler505

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 12:15:33 pm »

What amazes me is that they actually credited Trav for bringing this issue to their attention:

We want to thank and acknowledge Traveler505 for bringing these errors to our attention. This is an example of how the Prosper community helps us improve the site and our operations on an ongoing basis.

What?  No link to my blog?   :-[ :'( :ninja:

To its credit, Prosper has now publicly acknowledged these errors, and its promise to correct them goes beyond the minimum which was required.  Not only is it paying interest (at a rate higher than the actual - as opposed to advertised - median ROI for Prosper lenders), but it is also eating, rather than reversing, disbursements which it had previously made in error.  (Allowing GLs to keep the fees they erroneously received on late payments, while paying the same fees to lenders on the loans as it should have done, will probably cost Prosper at least $10,000.)  

On the other hand, I remain unconvinced that it really takes two months or more for Prosper to write the code required to generate the refunds.  (Of course, IANAProgrammer.)  And I hope that, somewhere in all of this, Prosper has awakened to the need to establish tighter controls within its operation.  Someone on Prosper's payroll should be responsible for regularly reviewing Prosper's operations (as well as planned FuOperations) to ensure that they conform to the legal agreements (and vice versa); that really shouldn't be my job.  

It would be nice to think that today's blog announcement means Prosper has decided to stop waging war on the lending community (or at least realized that its attempts to suppress public criticism have been futile), but the suspension of Epictetus earlier this morning sends the opposite message.  And there is still the little matter of Prosper's rejection of my offer to purchase a defaulted loan (MNH #4), which resulted in a loss of about $500 spread among 34 lenders.

As I mentioned in the introduction to MNH #1, there was a time - before Prosper began its attacks on the community - when I gave Prosper the courtesy of a "heads up" before publicly posting about major issues like these, and allowed Prosper a couple weeks to preempt me by announcing that the problem would be fixed.  In spite of today's mixed messages, one could argue that this would be a good time to pause the posting of major MNH Reports and see if Prosper is willing to work with the community in a less adversarial manner.  (I do have a few updates to post on my blog and some loose ends to tie up on the existing MNH Reports; I would still proceed with those as I find the time.)

Along those lines, one might consider LoanChimp's Warm & Fuzzy criticism of my approach (http://warmnfuzzyprosperblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/response-to-travs-mnh-report-1.html), as well as the recent poll in the Verified Lenders section which showed only plurality (40%) support for a class action lawsuit against Prosper (30% opposed, with plenty of maybes and WGAFs).

What do you think?  Should I pause the reports (or resume giving Prosper a "heads-up"), or should I continue posting MNH Reports as I have been doing?  Would you want to see an additional show of good faith on Prosper's part before I change course?  If so, what?
"Trav, you can always take up another hobby..." -- BigGulp

Now blogging at http://blog.traveler505.com, home of the MNH Reports and other commentary on Prosper.com and P2P lending in general.

Need Help with Credit Repair & Rebuilding?  Try CreditBoards.com.

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 12:25:23 pm »

do you think this is an example of a paradigm shift in attitude by prosper?

you're

msava

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 12:28:33 pm »

No

traveler505

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 12:29:24 pm »

IMO, it's too early to tell.  
"Trav, you can always take up another hobby..." -- BigGulp

Now blogging at http://blog.traveler505.com, home of the MNH Reports and other commentary on Prosper.com and P2P lending in general.

Need Help with Credit Repair & Rebuilding?  Try CreditBoards.com.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up