Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changes to Lender's Agreement 1/4/08  (Read 28653 times)

traveler505

• View Profile
Re: Changes to Lender's Agreement 1/4/08
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 06:49:43 pm »

You're probably right that there was a regulatory issue, though it's also possible that the number of bank drafts grew to the point that there was an economy of scale, or that Prosper now plans to raise all of the rate caps by one percentage point to offset the impact of increased borrower fees in states where the cap is APR-based.

My recollections from the early days (which are sometimes faulty):

In the beginning, the fee/discount was 0.25%, and there were so few bank drafts that someone took time away from his regular job to print them once a week or so.  That person had to take the office printer offline, remove the regular  ink cartridge and install a magnetic ink cartridge, then print the checks one by one.  (And walk them to the bank through a raging snowstorn, barefoot and uphill both ways.)

As this became increasingly burdensome, Prosper increased the fee/discount to 1.00%, as a deterrent.

The agreements provided that any two failed ACH payments would result in permanent loss of the discount and an increased monthly payment, even if the remaining payments were successfully made by ACH.  I have no idea if Prosper strictly enforced this policy and, if they did, whether they got complaints about it.  

So, if the number of bank drafts reached the level where Prosper could automate the process, and assign a dedicated printer, that might have reduced the burden to the point that Prosper was willing to sacrifice the revenue to help with rate caps.

But, as you suggested, regulatory issues is probably the best bet.
"Trav, you can always take up another hobby..." -- BigGulp

Now blogging at http://blog.traveler505.com, home of the MNH Reports and other commentary on Prosper.com and P2P lending in general.

Need Help with Credit Repair & Rebuilding?  Try CreditBoards.com.

traveler505

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 06:50:55 pm »

ira - are you sure they are removing it?

or are they just renaming it?

the verbiage 'discount the borrower's forgo' seems to indicate that it is still there.

The discount/forgo verbiage was in the November version, but not the new version.  As earlier post had this reversed.
"Trav, you can always take up another hobby..." -- BigGulp

Now blogging at http://blog.traveler505.com, home of the MNH Reports and other commentary on Prosper.com and P2P lending in general.

Need Help with Credit Repair & Rebuilding?  Try CreditBoards.com.

Shenandoah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 08:37:19 pm »

I did receive a notice of changes to the legal agreements in my email this afternoon.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 09:13:16 pm »

I did receive a notice of changes to the legal agreements in my email this afternoon.

Here is the email my wife received (I didn't get one):
We are writing to inform you of changes that have been made to the following Prosper legal agreements:

• Promissory Note
• Borrower Registration Agreement
• Lender Registration Agreement
• Group Leader Registration Agreement

Description of changes:

• Removed provision in Promissory Note stating that Prosper has the right to add 1% to the Borrower’s interest rate if the Borrower initially received a 1% incentive for choosing ACH payment method, but later cancelled ACH transfers. Made corresponding changes to Borrower, Lender and Group Leader Registration Agreements.

• Removed language from Borrower Registration Agreement prohibiting Borrowers from obtaining a loan to pay off an existing loan. (Change made 12/19/07.)

• Removed language from Borrower Registration Agreement prohibiting Borrowers from changing groups while a loan is outstanding. (Change made 12/19/07.)

• In Group Leader Registration Agreement, clarified how Finder’s Payment Rewards are recorded in group leaders’ accounts.

As always, these and Prosper’s other legal agreements are posted on the Prosper website here. For your convenience in reviewing the revisions, redlined versions showing the changes are available for viewing at the following links.

• Promissory Note
• Borrower Registration Agreement
• Lender Registration Agreement
• Group Leader Registration Agreement

If you have questions, please contact customer support at support@prosper.com.

Sincerely,

Prosper
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

Shenandoah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 09:20:35 pm »

Yeah, I hadn't opened it when I posted the first time, just seen the subject line.
It looks like it's partly old changes from December.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

NewHorizon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 05:38:38 am »

I got what ira posted too.
As you can see, there's nothing in it about how - if at all - it applies to folks who explicitly agreed to an older version.

cubbiesnextyr

• Suspended since 12/13/07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 09:16:29 am »

I received the email notifying me at 9:41PM ET last night.  A full 3 days after it went into affect...

Interesting to note, they provide redlining of the agreements so you can easily spot the differences:

http://www.prosper.com/prm/legal/4jan2008/Registration_Agmt_Lender.pdf

HollowOak

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 12:05:06 pm »

I just sent an email to Prosper support regarding this.

They simply dumped a new legal agreement on me, without explaining when and how it goes into effect. There is no explanation as to whether it is a forward-looking change or a retroactive change. They have not indicated how I can signal rejection of said changes.

Usually, when I get online changes in legal agreements (from a credit card company) it has a date by which it will become effective and I can signal my acceptance/rejection by using/not using the card past that date. It also lays out what happens should I decide to reject the card (usually the card will continue under the old legal T&Cs until expiry, but will not be renewed).

I think Prosper might be experiencing a flood of requests for clarification to it's customer support (hint, hint), since their modus operandi is simply sloppy.
Old Stump
My blog

dvd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 10:29:38 am »

As usual, they haven't sent me anything. I guess that means that they want me to use the old agreement, or what?

- dvd
Visit www.prospers.org/irc ! Chat live with other Prosper-users.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up