Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will P------r eventually make this list?  (Read 6237 times)

Mtnchick

• View Profile
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

ira01

• View Profile
Re: Will P------r eventually make this list?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 07:03:20 pm »

Well, the writeup for the first company certainly has features in common with Prosper:
Amp'd Mobile: Amp'd Mobile takes the crown for money-burning, with $360 million that ended in bankruptcy. The company's major problem was its customers' ability to pay. While other mobile providers check for an ability to pay bills within 30 days, Amp'd let it go to 90 days and marketed to these risky customers. It has been reported that 80,000 of the company's 175,000 customers were unable to pay their bills.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

HollowOak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:23:35 pm »

That list is funny, very funny. Especially funny is the website for the final home for the pets.com sock-puppet, barnone, Inc. It is (very like Prosper) a place for online car loans, it seems. However, if you click on the site, it won't let you navigate away. First off, it pops up a little message box offering to put you in touch with a live chat agent, if only you will click "cancel" on the next screen.

Couldn't they at least, since they program the damn buttons, have come up with a better title for the button to allow the chat than "cancel?"

While you're reading the pop-up message and figuring out that yes, if you click "cancel" you will indeed be connecting to a live agent, behind you, on the real web page, the agent is already busily chatting away.

Fortunately, clicking on the "Yes" button puts all that to a stop and you can finally navigate away from the madness.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 07:25:35 pm by HollowOak »
Old Stump
My blog

caliostro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 07:27:45 pm »

HO: I would just close the pop-up window. Alt-F4 should do the trick.

As an aside, I'm suprised Red Gorilla hasn't made the cut. It should have.

HollowOak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 07:29:20 pm »

HO: I would just close the pop-up window. Alt-F4 should do the trick.

As an aside, I'm suprised Red Gorilla hasn't made the cut. It should have.

It really is a message-box, you have to click the buttons. I've not tried Alt-F4, it was funny in a desperate, stupid sort of way more than anything else.
Old Stump
My blog

Erasmus_Darwin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 09:23:07 pm »

Couldn't they at least, since they program the damn buttons, have come up with a better title for the button to allow the chat than "cancel?"

Actually, I think the button title is outside of their control.  They're using what's traditionally a dialog box that would normally say something like, "Are you sure you want to leave?  If you exit this site without submitting, your data will be lost."  If you click "OK", the result never gets back to their code -- it goes to your web browser, which then moves on to the next page.  I'm not really a web guy, and I'm sure someone else could do a better job of explaining it.

HollowOak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 02:45:01 am »

Actually, I think the button title is outside of their control.  They're using what's traditionally a dialog box that would normally say something like, "Are you sure you want to leave?  If you exit this site without submitting, your data will be lost."  If you click "OK", the result never gets back to their code -- it goes to your web browser, which then moves on to the next page.  I'm not really a web guy, and I'm sure someone else could do a better job of explaining it.

Actually I made my comments based on a little web programming I did. As with all things where my memory is concerned, my recollections come with a caveat as to accuracy and integrity, but I'm pretty certain one can change the text on the buttons.
Old Stump
My blog

SGriff

• Pedanticism for fun and profit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 07:37:05 am »

While you're reading the pop-up message and figuring out that yes, if you click "cancel" you will indeed be connecting to a live agent, behind you, on the real web page, the agent is already busily chatting away.

That's not a live agent. It's a bot. I had a brief conversation with one a while back just to see. I cursed it up one wall and down the other, and it just kept right on throwing its pitch.
By all means, cry havoc and let slip the toy pomeranians of war!

sequaltwo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 07:58:13 am »

:D ok I don't feel so bad cuz I did the exact same thing as you did on one of those "live chat" bots just to see what would happen.......and of course the bot just kept giving the pitch.....
"The words used should be the most expressive that the language affords, provided they are the most generally understood.“
                                                                                   -- Benjamin Franklin
Pages: [1]   Go Up