Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Article, World's Most Innovative Company, Prosper.com  (Read 13096 times)

Mtnchick

• View Profile
Re: Article, World's Most Innovative Company, Prosper.com
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 04:39:33 pm »

As with eBay, borrowers and lenders never meet, and they often don't know who the other is.

I sure hope this was the stupidity of the author and not told to them by someone at P------r........
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

Shenandoah

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 04:42:41 pm »

So far, Prosper's lenders and borrowers are only in America, but a new joint venture would let Japanese lenders bid on American loans -- and the goal is to connect people (and capital) globally.

And exactly why would the Japanese want to bid on loans denominated in dollars that were paid back in dollars while the dollar is in free-fall?

To help fellow mankind?  :ninja:
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 06:14:58 pm »

I rated it one star.

We could repeat the best corporate blog fraud if we all give it one star...

;D

Don't bother. It will never drop below 3 stars.

LOL! From the time I read this a few hours ago until now it went from 1 star and 20 votes to 3 stars with 100 votes. Just like all the other voting processes that involved P-----r, there's always an unrealistic number of "people" who suddenly go in and vote and vote high. The epitome of desperate.  :D

And the subliterate.  As somebody who has spent hours, days, and months researching facts for a magazine article that pays a couple of hundred bucks at most, I resent the fact that anyone would compliment such a crummy piece of journalism someone farted out on the toilet with 5 stars.  Even self-serving prosper shills.

Yesterday I was vote number 26, and the article was 1 star.  Now it is 126 votes and 2 stars, although I gather it was up to 3 stars at around 100 votes.  I don't know why Prosper's constant ballot box stuffing surprises me, but for anyone to rate this crappy article more than 2 stars is just ridiculous. 
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

mhs505

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 06:40:28 pm »

I don't know why Prosper's constant ballot box stuffing surprises me, but for anyone to rate this crappy article more than 2 stars is just ridiculous. 

As a matter of record, do you have any proof of your allegations of ballot box stuffing in this or any other case involving PMI? 

I realize that asking that will just give you all a chance to vilify me again, but it is valid.  You, and others sure like to throw accusations around.  It is not unfair to ask if you have any legitimate proof supporting what you claim.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 06:44:59 pm by mhs505 »

Risk_Reward

• [quote author=ira01 link=topic=29057.msg527926#msg
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 06:51:47 pm »

So far, Prosper's lenders and borrowers are only in America, but a new joint venture would let Japanese lenders bid on American loans -- and the goal is to connect people (and capital) globally.

And exactly why would the Japanese want to bid on loans denominated in dollars that were paid back in dollars while the dollar is in free-fall?

Higher interest rate  ;D
Real libertarian

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 07:08:05 pm »

I don't know why Prosper's constant ballot box stuffing surprises me, but for anyone to rate this crappy article more than 2 stars is just ridiculous. 

As a matter of record, do you have any proof of your allegations of ballot box stuffing in this or any other case involving PMI? 

I realize that asking that will just give you all a chance to vilify me again, but it is valid.  You, and others sure like to throw accusations around.  It is not unfair to ask if you have any legitimate proof supporting what you claim.

Maybe you should spend a little more time asking Prosper if it has "any legitimate proof supporting what they claim," such as "Earn 8.74-12.10%" -- especially since, as has been documented here many times before, when you plug Prosper's stated criteria into Prosper's performance page, you DON'T get their claimed results.  I think false advertising to entice lenders to invest their cash is a little more important than ballot box stuffing on web sites, don't you?

But since you asked, I clearly remember at least one instance on .com when someone from Prosper (Andrew, IIRC) posted asking everyone to click a link that he provided and vote for Prosper.  It's not a big step from there to expecting that Prosper employees were asked to do the same, and probably repeatedly if the voting allowed multiple votes.

Moreover, some other past situations have obviously been the result of Prosper's ballot box stuffing, most notably its "win" for "Best Blog of 2007" (or some such), at a time when Prosper's blog had only been up for a month or so.  As tracked here, the pro-Prosper voting patterns were highly suspect, to say the least.  

Even the article at issue in this thread provides reasonable circumstantial evidence of Prosper ballot box stuffing.  The article is so bad that it boggles the mind to think that the number of favorable votes is due to anything other than prosper's PR efforts.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 07:15:13 pm »

Are we sitting at the P----r offices and watching them vote? No, of course not. But when this is exactly what has happened every time they have ANYTHING that's voted on - it's posted on the boards, there are 20-50 neutral or negative votes then all of sudden (and I mean within hours) there are 100+ "votes" that magically raise the score..... Now, who else would benefit from raising the scores? You? Me? 100's of people who want to borrow $1K-20K? 100's of people who want to lend some money? Or 100's of "employees" who know how to clear cookies at P-----r?

If it wasn't so blatant and if it didn't happen every freaking time they have something that's scored by the public (the best was when they were in the running for "Blog of the Year" for a blog that had been around for less than 2 months......) then it wouldn't be so obvious. If they didn't make up numbers when telling what the interest returns were for lenders and the interest paid for borrowers and if they didn't manually go in and change screen shots to lie about the same then people would give them the benefit of the doubt for not stuffing their own ballot box.

However, they have proven that they will, can and do lie to manipulate numbers and this is no different, IMHO.

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

nonattender

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 10:25:40 pm »

Are we sitting at the P----r offices and watching them vote? No, of course not. But when this is exactly what has happened every time they have ANYTHING that's voted on - it's posted on the boards, there are 20-50 neutral or negative votes then all of sudden (and I mean within hours) there are 100+ "votes" that magically raise the score..... Now, who else would benefit from raising the scores? You? Me? 100's of people who want to borrow $1K-20K? 100's of people who want to lend some money? Or 100's of "employees" who know how to clear cookies at P-----r?

If it wasn't so blatant and if it didn't happen every freaking time they have something that's scored by the public (the best was when they were in the running for "Blog of the Year" for a blog that had been around for less than 2 months......) then it wouldn't be so obvious. If they didn't make up numbers when telling what the interest returns were for lenders and the interest paid for borrowers and if they didn't manually go in and change screen shots to lie about the same then people would give them the benefit of the doubt for not stuffing their own ballot box.

However, they have proven that they will, can and do lie to manipulate numbers and this is no different, IMHO.

I believe you were asked for "proof", Mtnchick.  What you posted isn't it.

-t
Nothing that I ever say is "professional advice" - principally, because I suffer from an infinitely inescapable prinicipal/agent problem, in that I am, in principle, always acting as my own agent.

Peer-to-Peer Lending & Personal Loan Information

nonattender

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 10:37:42 pm »

Maybe you should spend a little more time asking Prosper if it has "any legitimate proof supporting what they claim," such as "Earn 8.74-12.10%" -- especially since, as has been documented here many times before, when you plug Prosper's stated criteria into Prosper's performance page, you DON'T get their claimed results.  I think false advertising to entice lenders to invest their cash is a little more important than ballot box stuffing on web sites, don't you?

Misdirection, obfuscation, irrelevance, two wrongs don't make a right, etc.  (Am I going to have to start doing this to your posts again, Ira?)

But since you asked, I clearly remember at least one instance on .com when someone from Prosper (Andrew, IIRC) posted asking everyone to click a link that he provided and vote for Prosper.  It's not a big step from there to expecting that Prosper employees were asked to do the same, and probably repeatedly if the voting allowed multiple votes.

It's not a big step to assume from your arguments in the first paragraph that your second graph, directly above, would be full of the same crap.  It happens, in this case that it is, but that's not "proof" - you could just as easily have written something that made sense, and then I'd have been wrong for judging you speculatively based on prior behavior...  not a big step, maybe - but a doozy nonetheless.

Moreover, some other past situations have obviously been the result of Prosper's ballot box stuffing, most notably its "win" for "Best Blog of 2007" (or some such), at a time when Prosper's blog had only been up for a month or so.  As tracked here, the pro-Prosper voting patterns were highly suspect, to say the least. 

You can't claim as "proof" for one instance a prior instance for which you also -have no proof-.  Your "As tracked here" statement is kind of pathetic, too.  "As tracked here" (read:  by the vocal majority of ceaseless critics who post constantly and vote in 200 dumbass polls a week, the most popular answer to which is usually WGAF), it's a fucking miracle Prosper still exists.

Even the article at issue in this thread provides reasonable circumstantial evidence of Prosper ballot box stuffing.  The article is so bad that it boggles the mind to think that the number of favorable votes is due to anything other than prosper's PR efforts.

You ever consider that *the audience it's targeted to*... likes it?   I don't eat at McDonald's because I think their food is shit, but every time I drive by one, the lights are on and there's a line.  If I'd -never tasted their food- (or seen a fast food joint before), I might very well be tempted to test out the drive-thru... "wow, what a great idea - instant food, no waiting, always consistent, and cheap!"  - the same thought ("wow, what a great business model - loans with no banks!  ebay for money!  etc")  is what attracted us all here in the first place.  Why's it so hard to believe that the -concept- is STILL ATTRACTIVE to people who probably haven't sampled the whole menu?

-t
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 10:41:47 pm by nonattender »
Nothing that I ever say is "professional advice" - principally, because I suffer from an infinitely inescapable prinicipal/agent problem, in that I am, in principle, always acting as my own agent.

Peer-to-Peer Lending & Personal Loan Information

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 10:44:43 pm »

I'm sure some Prosper employees may have voted, there's really no crime in that.  Even if they urged the whole site to vite, that's fair game in an internet contest.

Since this is not a contest, I doubt too many of them voted.  To the casual websurfer, who doesn't know anything about the platform, they'd have no reason not to rate it 4 or 5 stars.  I was being a little mean with my 1 star, but it was more on what I percieved as the quality of research and effort; it was kind of shop thinking.  Plus, I felt like I disagreed with the title.

But I don't think there's a massive flow of Prosper users propping up the vote at 3 stars...  Just websurfers.

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 11:29:19 am »

I rarely, if ever, vote on articles I read. And I rarely, if ever, see that many others have voted on them either. In fact, it looks like the number of people who "voted" on the P------r piece don't even READ the articles on that site. Here are some examples of other articles that IMO would have MUCH more interest to the general public than the P------r article:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/economy/article/focus-fed-wall-street-waits-rate-cut_521398_3.html - 29 votes

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/financial-planning/tax/article/lastminute-income-tax-tips_519503_27.html -  4 votes

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/financial-planning/tax/article/irs-knocking-door_520081_27.html - 9 votes

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/small-business/article/birth-sales-tool-linkedin-meets-ebay_519258_33.html - 10 votes

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/small-business/article/email-marketing-101_493114_33.html - 1 vote

Yet the P------r puff piece has 182 surfers who just happened along to vote?? Suuuuuuure.......  It has that many votes because 1. it was posted here and a lot of us read it (and obviously some voted) and 2. P-----r did what it always does and stuffed the ballots.

Again, this is a company that has habitually manipulated numbers, I'm not really sure why some of you are surprised they are manipulating these.  ???

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2008, 11:37:05 am »

Well, maybe they did.  I see it is a very minor offense; tacky, but whatcha gonna do?

Risk_Reward

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2008, 05:38:21 pm »

2 stars, 258 votes 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300
Real libertarian

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2008, 05:52:56 pm »

2 stars, 258 votes 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300

:D :D :D It's at 357 now - probably the MOST VOTED ARTICLE EVER on that site.  ;D

Risk_Reward

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2008, 05:59:54 pm »

how many times have you voted?
Real libertarian
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up