Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Defaulted borrower wants to pay?  (Read 14302 times)

Mtnchick

• View Profile
Re: Defaulted borrower wants to pay?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 06:51:50 pm »

1 is a law student who, in a year or so, will likely either have to clean up her bad debts to pass a moral character test (depending on the state), or will have a good-paying job as an attorney.

Not necessarily.  IIRC, at least in California, bad debts do not torpedo a moral character exam, which is looking more for dishonesty (e.g., fraud) than financial problems (although I suppose someone whose finances are a real train wreck might raise some questions as to whether they should be trusted with client funds).  And not all law school grads get a "good-paying job."  While the headlines often like to speak of the $160K starting salaries for lawyers, those jobs are only for the top graduates at the top law schools who go to the top big law firms.  As seen here, the 2007 median starting salary at firms of 2-25 lawyers is $68,000.  While that is a goodly amount of money, it is also distorted by the higher pay in certain high-cost areas, such as New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago.  And, of course, half of the people make less than the median.  And large attorney job categories such as prosecutors, judicial clerks, and Legal Services jobs pay much less -- 2006 median salaries of $46,000, $46,500, and $38,000 respectively. 

I would assume that government jobs (Public Defender) and such pay even less.
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

traveler505

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 06:55:49 pm »

1 is a law student who, in a year or so, will likely either have to clean up her bad debts to pass a moral character test (depending on the state), or will have a good-paying job as an attorney.

Not necessarily.  IIRC, at least in California, bad debts do not torpedo a moral character exam, which is looking more for dishonesty (e.g., fraud) than financial problems (although I suppose someone whose finances are a real train wreck might raise some questions as to whether they should be trusted with client funds).   

Which is why I said "depending on the state".  In this particular case, the reason given for the loan - truthful or not - was to clear up bad debts so that she would be able to meet the moral character requirements once she graduated.

And not all law school grads get a "good-paying job." While the headlines often like to speak of the $160K starting salaries for lawyers, those jobs are only for the top graduates at the top law schools who go to the top big law firms.  As seen here, the 2007 median starting salary at firms of 2-25 lawyers is $68,000.  While that is a goodly amount of money, it is also distorted by the higher pay in certain high-cost areas, such as New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago.  And, of course, half of the people make less than the median.  And large attorney job categories such as prosecutors, judicial clerks, and Legal Services jobs pay much less -- 2006 median salaries of $46,000, $46,500, and $38,000 respectively. 

I suspect $38000 - $68000 is "good-paying" enough to cover a garnishment order for a $3000 judgment.  
"Trav, you can always take up another hobby..." -- BigGulp

Now blogging at http://blog.traveler505.com, home of the MNH Reports and other commentary on Prosper.com and P2P lending in general.

Need Help with Credit Repair & Rebuilding?  Try CreditBoards.com.

mothandrust

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 01:30:59 am »

Hmmm... well if she wanted to partially make it up to the lenders, she could tell us who the Junk Debt Buyer is.  Shall we ask?

Yes!! :o
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 06:37:28 am »

And yes, I'm peeved that a defaulted borrower still has access to P------r at all.

I bet defaulted borrowers have (for example) more access than cubbies, ira, or myself. After all, their crime was not as bad as ours.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2008, 11:55:39 am »

And yes, I'm peeved that a defaulted borrower still has access to P------r at all.

I bet defaulted borrowers have (for example) more access than cubbies, ira, or myself. After all, their crime was not as bad as ours.

Yep -- good to know that defaulted borrowers are treated better than we are -- They can apparently read and post to Prosper's forum, neither of which I can do (using my account, anyway  ;D).
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up