Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changes to Prosper Borrowing  (Read 4202 times)

patio11

• View Profile
Changes to Prosper Borrowing
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:55:26 pm »

I was trying to use Prosper to see whether I went up to an A yet earlier this morning.  Some things which I noted have changed, although I'm not sure we already knew about these:

* The first question that gets asked is Business/Personal.  I picked Personal.  They then ask you how much you want and to self-identify your credit grade -- four choices, Excellent/Good/Average/Poor.  My guess is that they have some logic to say if you're unlikely to fund ($15,000 and Poor) that they say "Whoa, maybe you want to rethink that" before having to pay for a pull to see that you are, indeed, HR.  Good expectation management.

* Auto funding?  What is that?  The choice is now displayed as a pair of formats: Auction and No Auction.  The tradeoff is phrased like this:

Auction: Your interest rate may be bid down as lenders compete for your loan. 
  No auction: Your interest rate cannot be bid down by lenders. Learn more.  (Link to http://www.prosper.com/help/contextual/listing_automatic_funding.aspx )

Since this sounds like a much, much poorer deal than "Auto-funding: Get your money fast!!1" does to a person in financial difficulty, I think we'll see even less AF than we already do.

* They now bury the information that applying on Prosper won't ding your credit.  I don't know whether that is an oversight or possibly a recognition of the fact that anyhow who knows they need to count inquiries is probably not a good risk versus the average person who has no clue.  (This somewhat counterintuitive "The more you know about your finances, the more dangerous you are" insight brought to you by www.creditboards.com .)

* They don't display your credit to you before writing your listing.  Again, seems like they want to deemphasize the importance of that to borrowers, making the listing proper be about personal/fluffy stuff, and then the credit information (which will drive the decision) gets ONLY presented by the credit box.  I didn't click to the next stage in the process to see if you can actually see it before setting a listing live.

GoBrowns2007

• View Profile
Re: Changes to Prosper Borrowing
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 12:18:14 am »

* Auto funding?  What is that?  The choice is now displayed as a pair of formats: Auction and No Auction.  The tradeoff is phrased like this:

Auction: Your interest rate may be bid down as lenders compete for your loan. 
  No auction: Your interest rate cannot be bid down by lenders. Learn more.  (Link to http://www.prosper.com/help/contextual/listing_automatic_funding.aspx )

Since this sounds like a much, much poorer deal than "Auto-funding: Get your money fast!!1" does to a person in financial difficulty, I think we'll see even less AF than we already do.

That change was actually made a while ago. It was that way when I did my listing.

* They now bury the information that applying on Prosper won't ding your credit.  I don't know whether that is an oversight or possibly a recognition of the fact that anyhow who knows they need to count inquiries is probably not a good risk versus the average person who has no clue.  (This somewhat counterintuitive "The more you know about your finances, the more dangerous you are" insight brought to you by www.creditboards.com .)

* They don't display your credit to you before writing your listing.  Again, seems like they want to deemphasize the importance of that to borrowers, making the listing proper be about personal/fluffy stuff, and then the credit information (which will drive the decision) gets ONLY presented by the credit box.  I didn't click to the next stage in the process to see if you can actually see it before setting a listing live.

Could be they're trying to cut down on the number of people using Prosper for a free credit check.

DakotahFury

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 07:58:14 am »

(This somewhat counterintuitive "The more you know about your finances credit, the more dangerous you are" insight brought to you by www.creditboards.com .)
A small change I would propose. Creditboard grads know a lot on how to manipulate their credit...but many of them don't know squat about sound financial management.
"If you are up-to-date on your vaccines today, and you avail yourself of the treatments, your chances of dying COVID are vanishingly rare and certainly much lower than your risk of getting into trouble with the flu," Jha (White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator) told NPR.

Loan_shark_74

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 01:46:02 am »

Could be they're trying to cut down on the number of people using Prosper for a free credit check.

Except that Prosper does not give you any clue to your credit. In July, I obtained a loan at 0% for a vehicle. Prosper had me as an HR in January, and a D in February. I have FICO credit scores in the 670's from all 3 credit bureaus. They have not changed more than 5 points either way since December. Basically, Prospers credit grades do not mean diddly squat to those not obtaining a Prosper loan.

GoBrowns2007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 02:07:30 am »

Except that Prosper does not give you any clue to your credit. In July, I obtained a loan at 0% for a vehicle. Prosper had me as an HR in January, and a D in February. I have FICO credit scores in the 670's from all 3 credit bureaus. They have not changed more than 5 points either way since December. Basically, Prospers credit grades do not mean diddly squat to those not obtaining a Prosper loan.

Doesn't mean people aren't using Prosper just to check their credit for free. Just means their results aren't  all that valid outside of Prosper.

Wasn't there some radio show host telling people to go to Prosper to check their credit? I thought I saw a post on here somewhere about it.

snake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 07:31:55 am »

I have to go with loan_shark on this one. A prosper credit grade has rather poor correlation with FICO scoring.

It's more "predictive" in that it uses "credit trend" to generate its prediction.

I made a listing to see how much 1 DQ is costing me in credit grade, and I was surprised to see quite a large jump (drop from AA to B). Now I want to see how much my grade changes when 1 inq drops off.

On the whole, the best change I have seen so far is that lender's credit standards seem to have improved. The best thing for PMI is slow, quality growth

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 07:35:56 am »

I have to go with loan_shark on this one. A prosper credit grade has rather poor correlation with FICO scoring.

It's more "predictive" in that it uses "credit trend" to generate its prediction.

I made a listing to see how much 1 DQ is costing me in credit grade, and I was surprised to see quite a large jump (drop from AA to B). Now I want to see how much my grade changes when 1 inq drops off.

On the whole, the best change I have seen so far is that lender's credit standards seem to have improved. The best thing for PMI is slow, quality growth

But it allows you to see some of the truly important things (not score) like Current DQs, Utilization, Current Revolving Balance, etc so that you can make sure that nothing is drastically wrong.

Loan_shark_74

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 10:08:46 am »

But it allows you to see some of the truly important things (not score) like Current DQs, Utilization, Current Revolving Balance, etc so that you can make sure that nothing is drastically wrong.
Now that is true. If Prosper used all 3 bureaus, it would be a free credit watch once a month.
Pages: [1]   Go Up