Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm Just a normal family...safe investment.  (Read 5434 times)

SGriff

• Pedanticism for fun and profit...
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Just a normal family...safe investment.
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 09:36:20 am »

Is a Kevlar vest a "sham" because the wearer can still be killed by a shot to the head?

You, my friend, are a master of vivid analogies! ;D
By all means, cry havoc and let slip the toy pomeranians of war!

GoBrowns2007

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 03:27:32 pm »

Is a Kevlar vest a "sham" because the wearer can still be killed by a shot to the head?

No, because a Kevlar vest isn't intended to stop a shot to the head. A Kevlar vest that doesn't stop a shot to the chest, within the ratings of that vest, would be defective. A Kevlar vest that is advertised as being able to stop a .357, when the advertiser knows full well it won't stop a .22, would be fraudulent.

A bidding endorser is intended to give lenders a certain level of confidence in the listing. When borrowers make side deals to pay back endorsers outside of the loan repayment, that endorsement becomes meaningless, if not fraudulent. Maybe calling the entire concept a sham was a bit harsh. It might be more accurate to call the implementation of that concept faulty.

Any bidding endorsement that isn't sufficiently large enough to hinder side payback deals should be considered suspect. For suspect endorsements, it becomes a matter of "how much do you trust the borrower?", which is the major question with any listing.

My point is, if a few low-dollar bidding endorsers make the difference in whether or not one trusts the borrower, then one should probably think again about bidding on the listing. If, however, one has got a listing he is pretty comfortable with and a couple of snickers and a milky way helps to ease his mind further, that's nice, but, it's about as meaningful as a snittybee guarantee. Dismissing an otherwise solid listing simply because it doesn't have a bidding endorser gives bidding endorsers a lot more weight than they deserve.

mothandrust

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 12:27:11 am »

I crunched the numbers in my blog and found that a single snickers endorsement does not improve default rates, but as the amounts and numbers of the endorsements increase, there is a significant improvement.

The other end of the spectrum is a single endorser who bids a large sum as a pump-and-dump or (comparatively uncommonly) stays on the loan and (presumably) gets a kickback.

3 BE's bidding $500 each is better than 1 BE bidding $2000.

As for missing a few "otherwise solid" listings, I guess I'll do just that.
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up