Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prosper Employee Endorses Sister, Then Deletes His Previous Listing  (Read 6887 times)

Mtnchick

• View Profile
Re: Prosper Employee Endorses Sister, Then Deletes His Previous Listing
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 07:20:32 pm »

Presumably, an "insider" loan going bad would be embarrassing for Prosper, so there is an incentive for Grimlock to help his sister out with a loan payment if she runs into financial difficulties.

Presumably (ie maybe sorta you hope), however, in this case, the information identifying the endorser as a Prosper insider was removed - right?

No. From her listing
Also, my older brother currently works at Prosper
from his endorsement
Yup this is my sister! She is taking a responsible step in consolidating her debt and I'm glad she's decided to use Prosper (who is my employer). I guess I'll be bidding 0%. -Grimlock, May-28-2008
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

nonattender

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 07:40:30 pm »

Never clicked through, thus the "right?".  Feel free to ignore that (one) point, then.

-t
Nothing that I ever say is "professional advice" - principally, because I suffer from an infinitely inescapable prinicipal/agent problem, in that I am, in principle, always acting as my own agent.

Peer-to-Peer Lending & Personal Loan Information

mothandrust

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 06:49:47 am »

A VBE does not remove red flags, it is merely one person attempting to hoist a small green flag onto the same pole with all the others.

For some of us, that "small green flag" is a rather important factor.  On my blog you can read how choosing a portfolio of borrowers with 0 DQ's and 2+ friends bidding $300+ would produce a portfolio with no lates.  (Since I wrote the blog, one of the loans has gone late).  That compares favorably with other lending strategies based on the extended data.

As much as you can attempt to predict the behavior of one person you do not know by that of another you also do not know, yes.

I look at past actions and extrapolate.  I see Grimlock's endorsement stipulates the amount bid and the rate.  Only about 2% of the BE's (this is not a VBE--no third-party verification) that I run across provide this. 

So I look at Grimlock's lending history, and he's on two listings since 2/08.  One is a from a fellow Prosper employee.

The other is the eandr123 loan.  So I surmise that Grimlock is hoping that the same VBE mojo will work for his sister.

Inconclusive, given a lack of information.  For all we know, the deleted listing was not only a test listing, but may also have had "test" credit details.

Ah, well if that's true, that would open up a different set of questions and problems. 

Grimlock's "test listing" showed someone with an AA credit:

http://www.lendingstats.com/listings/212879

So if in reality he is an HR with 5 current DQ's, his ability to help his sister stay afloat will be very limited.  If her car breaks down (she has nothing budgeted for car maintenance or repair), even if he wants to help her out and feels social pressure from his Prosper colleagues to keep the loan current, he can't do it.
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin

mothandrust

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 07:15:33 am »

Presumably (ie maybe sorta you hope), however, in this case, the information identifying the endorser as a Prosper insider was removed - right?

Deleting the endorsement and the employment information would just make the problem worse.  The best way to handle a cover-up isn't to do more covering up, it is to start acting with openness and transparency and to clear the air.

What Grimlock can do to fix this is (at the bare minimum):

(1) Make his original listing visible again.

(2) Put a note in his profile page and/or a notation on the listing itself like:

"Edited to add: On 10/8/08 I put up this test listing.  The credit data displayed on this listing is not mine.  It was only a test."

or some other honest and forthcoming explanation of what happened.

(3) Have his sister cancel her listing.

She can then do a clean relist without a tainted endorsement.  Prosper won't have to worry about a disgruntled bidder coming back and saying he bid under false pretenses.
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin

NewHorizon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 08:34:50 am »

Prosper won't have to worry about a disgruntled bidder coming back and saying he bid under false pretenses.
As with the "abuse" accusation, the "false pretenses" accusation is also only conjecture given the lack of info.

... and I think Prosper has more important things on its plate than "worry" about conjecture.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up