Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone on Ashley Gaerke's loan (possibly in the name of Oakland Gaerke)?  (Read 505425 times)

Mark12547

• View Profile
Re: Anyone on Ashley Gaerke's loan (possibly in the name of Oakland Gaerke)?
« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2008, 09:11:39 am »

I've never heard of any other state doing thumb prints besides in CA and to think using notaries will stop fraud is wishfull thinking. Most notaries have no concept of what a notary realy does. I think the Gaerke's would had still pulled this off with a well meaning bank notary.

Last time I had to get something notarized (admittedly almost a decade ago) here in Oregon, it was just a matter of me showing a piece or two of id and signing in the Notary's log book. So, at the minimum, I would have needed fake id if I wanted to commit id theft using a Notary.
Free! I am free from Prosper!

phreddy148

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2008, 09:24:49 am »

I was able to get several credit cards without a notary.
I was able to get a margin account at E-Trade without notary.
I was able to get an Unsecured LOC from my bank(over the internet) without a notary.

Why for an Internet loan?

Because they have major collections issues?

Oh man, there I go being practical again. ;D

Shenandoah

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2008, 09:48:16 am »

I've never heard of any other state doing thumb prints besides in CA and to think using notaries will stop fraud is wishfull thinking. Most notaries have no concept of what a notary realy does. I think the Gaerke's would had still pulled this off with a well meaning bank notary.

Last time I had to get something notarized (admittedly almost a decade ago) here in Oregon, it was just a matter of me showing a piece or two of id and signing in the Notary's log book. So, at the minimum, I would have needed fake id if I wanted to commit id theft using a Notary.

I didn't need a thumbprint the only time I had to get something notarized in Colorado.

My only problem with the notary is that it adds a hurdle.  The more hurdles you add, the more you cater towards the borrower willing to jump them - i.e. the desperate.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Flying Missle

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2008, 10:04:06 am »

Just as an anecdotal data point here, I am a notary in Oregon. I have to be honest and say that while I know what my responsibilities are I'm sure there are many who don't.

I took a small 15 minute test and sent in a check and *blink* there was my notary certificate.

God-Father

• Pay up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2008, 10:06:23 am »

The process is flawed - it has humans in it. 

• My wife had to have something stupid notorized (I think it was for my daughter's school)
  • She signed it
  • To save my wife the effort, I took it to my work, to a notary that I know well (with a copy of her drivers license)
  • She notarized it after doing a quick look at the two signatures

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2008, 10:07:44 am »

This thread & Prosper court reply wouldn't exist had they required a notary witness.Does anyone dispute that?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

gelt4u

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 28, 2008, 10:10:08 am »

You are missing an important point -- notaries (at least here in CA, and I presume elsewhere as well) record your thumbprint in their book when they notarize your document. 

No thumbprint here in PA

christoofar215

• YO. LIKE MY FRO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 28, 2008, 10:11:02 am »

Just as an anecdotal data point here, I am a notary in Oregon. I have to be honest and say that while I know what my responsibilities are I'm sure there are many who don't.

I took a small 15 minute test and sent in a check and *blink* there was my notary certificate.

It's a teeny bit more involved in PA:

http://www.nationalnotary.org/training/index.cfm?text=PennsylvaniaLive&state=Pennsylvania

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 28, 2008, 10:20:41 am »

To be a notary public in Oregon, you must meet the following qualifications, at the time of application: (A background check is conducted on all applications for a notary public commission).

•     Be 18 years of age or older
     •     Be a resident of the State of Oregon (You may also qualify if you are a resident of California,
           Idaho, Nevada, or Washington and carry on a trade or business or are regularly employed within
           the State of Oregon)
     •     Be able to read and write the English language
     •     Be of good moral character
     •     Not have had a notary commission revoked for official misconduct during the previous
           5 years
     •     Complete a 3 hour Notary training course (not required for current Notaries with an active
           commission at the time the new application is received in our office.)
     •     Not have been convicted of a felony, or of a lesser offense incompatible with the duties of a
           notary public, during the previous 10 years
     •     Pass the Secretary of State's Notary Examination

xraider

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 28, 2008, 10:23:38 am »

This thread begs the questions:  Why hasn't there been more than 1 ID theft repurchase in more than a year?  What is Prosper doing to protect lenders from ID theft loans, other than making it harder for us to find them?
Prosper missed me.  They lifted my suspension a day early.

Gogmagog

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 28, 2008, 10:59:28 am »

If you want it done, do it yourself.  You have no right to task me.

You're just changing the subject, which was lying to the judge.

I didn't make a drama-filled blog post about this.  :P

I wasn't changing the subject.  You think Prosper lied to the judge, and there isn't a legit reason to claim that they aren't Lenders.  I maintain that there is no way that Prosper will give Lenders clarification on this subject while they have a lawsuit active.  My suggestion of talking to Mr. Gaerke's lawyer is a way to GET the clarification within the context of the lawsuit.

If you don't want the clarification, and instead just want to keep throttling Prosper rhetorically, then thats cool to. 

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 28, 2008, 11:00:41 am »

I hope he knew about the loan,or even took it out,but due to Prosper stupidity & lack of verification,i hope Prosper is  punished by having to buy back the loan.

Gogmagog

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2008, 11:07:54 am »

I disagree.  You are missing an important point -- notaries (at least here in CA, and I presume elsewhere as well) record your thumbprint in their book when they notarize your document.  So when Mr. Gaerke claimed that he never took out the loan, Prosper could easily find out if that was the truth or not.  If the fingerprint in the book is his -- he's a liar.  If not, it's ID-theft.  To say nothing of the fact that many scammers that are willing to try to pull a fast one over the internet aren't going to try to flim-flam a notary -- they'll just move on to an easier target.

Requiring a thumbprint isn't a widespread notary practice.  But you are right in that it would help with later lawsuits in CA. 

I know for certain Washinton doesn't require it. 

Tiptopper

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 28, 2008, 11:21:41 am »

In the business experience I've had, when we made a guarantee, we insured the risk with a third party.
Verification via the phone could be augmented by asking for certain coded phrases agreed upon by both parties.
One wonders,
d     

Gogmagog

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 28, 2008, 11:30:02 am »

In the business experience I've had, when we made a guarantee, we insured the risk with a third party.
Verification via the phone could be augmented by asking for certain coded phrases agreed upon by both parties.
One wonders,

The falcon flies at midnight.  Your Lohan is showing.  Obama is the Second Coming.(Of Jimmy Carter)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26   Go Up