Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lending Club Shuts Down (Partially / Temporarily?)  (Read 10883 times)

nonattender

• View Profile
Lending Club Shuts Down (Partially / Temporarily?)
« on: April 08, 2008, 04:04:58 am »

http://www.peer-lend.com/2008/04/08/lending-club-shuts-down-temporarily/

-t

(What was the first rule of Fight Club, again?)
Nothing that I ever say is "professional advice" - principally, because I suffer from an infinitely inescapable prinicipal/agent problem, in that I am, in principle, always acting as my own agent.

Peer-to-Peer Lending & Personal Loan Information

HollowOak

• View Profile
Re: Lending Club Shuts Down (Partially / Temporarily?)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 04:15:13 am »

Damn, you beat me to it.  :)
Old Stump
My blog

LoanChimp

• LC - Punk Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 09:32:36 am »

wow. I just opened a lendingclub account recently. I transferred my money back out because I couldn't find anything worth bidding on.

Looks like Prosper might be next...  :ninja:

BrassKnuckles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 09:49:31 am »

they are leaping forward I think... setting up a future seller marketplace for their loans... that's what I see when reading between the lines

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 10:30:15 am »

they are leaping forward I think... setting up a future seller marketplace for their loans... that's what I see when reading between the lines

No, they are saying that if they don't change how they work today they are afraid that the SEC is going to shut them down for unliscensed selling of securities.

Nora_Lenderbee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 11:38:58 am »

Got my $50 bonus just in time.

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »

For those of us who never invested in LC (once bitten, twice shy) what are the similarities and differences that could 1. keep P-----r running or 2. put P-----r in the same position?
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

cowdog

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 12:52:45 pm »

Prosper has the loan. We have notes. Those notes are probably classified as securities. If this is so, a P2P lender needs to be registered with the SEC or they would be guilty of selling unlicensed securities.

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 01:33:42 pm »

Prosper has the loan. We have notes. Those notes are probably classified as securities. If this is so, a P2P lender needs to be registered with the SEC or they would be guilty of selling unlicensed securities.

Assuming they actually sold them to us... :ninja:

onthefence

• View Profile
Lobby permission granted

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 07:42:08 pm »

Sounds like trouble like this:
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB120735504829291471-rqm93mx4_MYACmJYeyWerCxg5KU_20080504.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top

That would actually be pretty damn sweet for some lenders:
For some buyers, a securities-law claim could provide a way to undo a purchase. "The rights of recovery are so much better if you can say it is a security," said Burton Wiand, a former SEC attorney who now practices at Fowler White Boggs Banker in Tampa, Fla.

If the transaction should have been registered, buyers can rescind the deal and get their money back, without having to prove fraud and misrepresentation, attorneys said.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 07:54:54 pm »

Historically, the SEC has suggested it wouldn't take enforcement actions against a condo-hotel developer as long as the company didn't provide prospective buyers with projections of income or expected occupancy, among other conditions.
(emphasis mine)

Could the experian default projection and the portfolio guidance fall into this same category?  Additionally, I participated in a lending seminar organized by Prosper where Karen and Shira stated that ROI=Interest rate minus experian's estimated default rates.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 07:57:55 pm »

Historically, the SEC has suggested it wouldn't take enforcement actions against a condo-hotel developer as long as the company didn't provide prospective buyers with projections of income or expected occupancy, among other conditions.
(emphasis mine)

Could the experian default projection and the portfolio guidance fall into this same category?  Additionally, I participated in a lending seminar organized by Prosper where Karen and Shira stated that ROI=Interest rate minus experian's estimated default rates.

Wouldn't the ads alone be be providing prospective buyers with projections of income?
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 04:11:18 am »

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB120735504829291471-rqm93mx4_MYACmJYeyWerCxg5KU_20080504.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top

For some buyers, a securities-law claim could provide a way to undo a purchase. "The rights of recovery are so much better if you can say it is a security," said Burton Wiand, a former SEC attorney who now practices at Fowler White Boggs Banker in Tampa, Fla.

If the transaction should have been registered, buyers can rescind the deal and get their money back, without having to prove fraud and misrepresentation, attorneys said.

Turning my -14.5% ROI into a 0% ROI would be pretty sweet!

cowdog

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 05:01:43 am »

Turning my -14.5% ROI into a 0% ROI would be pretty sweet!

I don't guess it matters much for small lenders, but for Pensioner ($800K), Muleshoes ($400K), and others it would be worth a lawsuit. In the end, they might pay less in attorney's fees than what they lost on Prosper.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up