Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: prosper for sale  (Read 20631 times)

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

loanuniverse

• View Profile
    • Commercial loan website
Re: prosper for sale
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 08:00:00 pm »

I think this has a lot to do with the problems with LendingClub. The money might not be there to continue churning the loans unless they are a part of a bigger financial institution.
"And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done."

xraider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 10:45:51 pm »

If so, good riddance.
Prosper missed me.  They lifted my suspension a day early.

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 12:28:00 am »

If so, good riddance.
hi!  nice to see you again!
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

havastat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 02:16:39 pm »

I think the problem is that as "P2P" lending has evolved, it has become much less P2P and much more automated banking. Communication between prospective investors and borrowers, once a critical feature, has disappeared. Prosper's original idea of having investers determine prices through an auction process turned out to be a disaster and was withdrawn. The process has become much more automated. Lending  Club once presented itself as a social network and floated the idea that people would be more likely to repay those they had a personal or social affinity with, but quickly dropped it. (I suspect in part because they realized that such an approach can have  nondiscrimination compliance implications).

Most of Prosper and LendingClub's deposits now come from large and sophisticated investors, and retail investors increasingly use algorithms or mutual fund like structures so that they deposit funds and somebody or something else figures out how to invest them. So functionally, "P2P" behaves nothing at all like the social network or interactive experience it was originally conceived to be. Today, investing and borrowing both work pretty much like putting ones money in or getting a loan from a bank.

This makes everything much more bank-like than it used to be, the process behaves in practice pretty much like automated banking. The process still has three advantages. It is more automated, less regulated, and has less overhead and per-transaction processing costs than a traditional bank (although costs have turned out to be higher than initially expected). These features would tend to make it attractive to a traditional bank. It could for example become such a bank's lower-cost retail loan affiliate.

LendingClub once had an additional advantage which has largely disappeared. It was the first to figure out a path through the regulatory issues, which were once formidable and tended to scare major players away. But you can't turn a path through regulatory issues into intellectual property, so anyone is free to follow and its very success has made barriers to new entrants lower. In addition, it's become apparent not all regulatory issues have been solved, and new ones have arisen adding new uncertainties that weren't perceived earlier.

The situation may turn out something like low-cost airlines. They started out ready to revolutionize the world. But after a while, some folded because actual costs were higher than they modeled, and major airlines bought out others  to become their low-cost divisions. They did have a major lasting impact, however.  The cost of air travel adjusted for inflation is much less today than it was decades ago. And no-frills service in Economy with added fees for extras has become the standard way all airlines now do business.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 02:33:55 pm by havastat »

pioneer11

• 7/27/07-1/28/23
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 02:29:03 pm »

Havastat,
That is a very nice summary of how it went down.
Why should I save a dog for $19 per month when I can save a child for $10 per month?

havastat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 02:41:13 pm »

Thanks.

We haven't had a new lobby article in a bit, so will nominate this for

Lobby

pioneer11

• 7/27/07-1/28/23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 02:48:13 pm »

second
Why should I save a dog for $19 per month when I can save a child for $10 per month?

alexpkeaton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 10:23:03 am »

Havastat,
That is a very nice summary of how it went down.

Agreed. The only novel thing about P2P loans is that it allows retail investors to buy into a pieces of personal loans. But personal loans themselves are not new or novel.

faithful_steward2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 11:21:52 pm »

You're better off just buying a bond securitization from a bank if this is what gets you off. They have them for any vehicle you can imagine: mortgages, credit cards, auto loans, etc. Prime, sub-prime, etc. Pick your poison. At least you know the custodian won't ignore fraud and the loans won't be serviced like Prosper loans.

czach

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 06:35:02 am »

I'll bid $50 for prosper.

yankeefan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 07:56:48 am »

That's another $50 wasted.

czach

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 10:12:42 am »

Hope springs eternal.

yankeefan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 11:56:21 am »

Hope springs eternal.

Don't put more than a single snickers on it, though!

TJGbank

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 07:38:35 pm »

edit, wrong thread.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 07:56:45 pm by TJGbank »
"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." - Albert Einstein
Pages: [1]   Go Up