Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Prosper Removes List of Bids/Lenders From Loan Request Page  (Read 29899 times)

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
Prosper Removes List of Bids/Lenders From Loan Request Page
« on: March 06, 2013, 01:46:18 pm »

Prosper removed the list of bids/lenders/amounts/times/etc from the Borrower's Loan Request Listing page.

They didn't just remove this information from the new listings pages, but also from all historical listing pages as well.

Now we can no longer see which loans Anton is bidding on.

Supposedly, Prosper did this "due to privacy concerns".

http://www.lendacademy.com/forum/index.php?topic=790.0
Quote from: euro-eagle1
Just spoke with somebody on the main Prosper customer service line. They said that they have indeed eliminated the feature "due to privacy concerns" and that it was a combination of outside pressure as well as an internal decision. They also stated that the feature will likely be removed from the API soon as well, rendering Prosper-Stats largely useless to myself and many other investors.

I don't know about you guys but I think Prosper just shot themselves in the foot. This was one of their primary competitive advantages over Lending Club in my eyes...

Also this doesn't make sense to me because a full listing of all registered owners of a stock (i.e. those who do not own a stock "in street name" through a brokerage) are made public through data sources such as the Bloomberg Terminal... I would expect that the regulations should be similar for peer-to-peer.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
Re: Prosper Removes List of Bids/Lenders From Loan Request Page
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 02:14:03 pm »

That's interesting. Thanks for posting.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

DCS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 03:00:04 pm »

Social lending is now less social.  Peer-to-peer?  Just trust us, your peers are bidding on your loan, no need to see who...

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 04:30:03 pm »

Once this information is removed from the API (and presumably also the data download file), we will no longer be able to see statistics like how much a certain lender has invested or what their actual returns are.

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:13:35 pm »

Once this information is removed from the API (and presumably also the data download file), we will no longer be able to see statistics like how much a certain lender has invested or what their actual returns are.

Can't imagine why Prosper would want to hide that.   ::)
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

Staneslav

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 08:01:28 am »

a
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:31:40 pm by Staneslav »
Look to my coming, at first light, on the day of the Cub's mathematical elimination. At dawn, look to the NL Central.
My apologies to Tolkien.

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 08:09:09 am »

The guy that runs Prosper-Stats.com says that Prosper kept telling him that no decision had been made on whether or not (or how) to do this all the way up until they actually implemented it without telling anybody.

emphasis mine.

Quote from: rocco.g
[...] I got in contact with Prosper about this potential change months ago because of the impact it would have on my site (www.prosper-stats.com).  It upsets me to say that Prosper continued to tell me they were discussing internally on what to do about bid data/privacy and that no plans had been made right up until the day bid data stopped appearing in the data export.  Even then I assumed this was a glitch until I was finally told by someone at Prosper that the bid data was intentionally pulled.

I have asked that they turn this data back on temporarily until their new API is made publicly available which would at least allow for alternate means of portfolio management on a per-user basis (such as finding previously late notes), but since I haven't heard anything, and bids still aren't appearing, I am going to assume it isn't going to happen.

During my initial conversation with Prosper an alternate proposal was suggested to allow people to "opt-out" of having their bid data published instead of just dropping all bid data.  I was hoping that this or something similar to it would allow those who didn't want to have their bid data published a way to protect their privacy, while at the same time allowing data analysis on the rest of the data.  I was planning to put a message about this up on my site in the next couple weeks to get people's feedback on this suggestion and to ask them to put in a request with Prosper to implement an "opt-out" model instead of blocking all the data.  My current thought is that [there is significant demand for this type of data  since over 75% of my site usage is tied to bid data.

Also, the thread on the other forum is turning pretty negative quickly.

yankeefan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 11:52:39 am »

So we can no longer tell which fictitious personna is bidding on which bogus lender due to privacu concerns? 

I'm so glad the new management if bringing better business practices to Prosper.

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 03:42:57 pm »

What's the other forum?  I like to witness prosper dreams crushed
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 03:53:40 pm »

Lobby?
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 04:03:22 pm »

What's the other forum?  I like to witness prosper dreams crushed

I linked to it in the original post.

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 04:13:16 pm »

Social lending is gone
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile

havastat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 08:21:15 pm »

I suppose it's inevitable. Institutional investors are rather secretive -- very different personality from internet social types. The culture changes to reflect the folks they're courting. After all, LendingClub doesn't publish this stuff and has done OK, so it's not like the market is banging down the doors demanding this or else.

It may not be unreasonable, given the results, for Prosper to think that maybe the things differentiating it from LendingClub are competitive disadvantages and maybe things will get better if it cuts them.

Besides, maintaining the data feed software costs and money is tight these days.

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 08:22:47 pm »

Also, the thread on the other forum is turning pretty negative quickly.

Impossible - .org is the only place where Prosper isn't praised!
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up