Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Miniscule # of Prosper's Biggest Lenders Are Bidding  (Read 10313 times)

ira01

• View Profile
Miniscule # of Prosper's Biggest Lenders Are Bidding
« on: May 03, 2009, 03:37:58 am »

Prosper has 50,287 lenders who have made at least one loan.  But most of those lenders are essentially irrelevant to Prosper's originations, due to their extremely small portfolio sizes.  It has always been the case that relatively few lenders provided Prosper with the bulk of the money it has lent.  For example, let's look at the top 25 lenders (by dollars lent) on Prosper.  By number, this group represents less than 0.05% of all Prosper lenders.  However, this group lent more than $11 million -- more than 6% of the $179 million lent on Prosper since its inception.  Put another way, almost 1 dollar out of every 16 ever lent was provided by just the Top 25 lenders. 

You would think that it would be crucial to Prosper for this group of lenders to keep the money taps open.  So how many of the Top 25 have at least one active bid now that Prosper has been re-open for almost a week?  Exactly TWO -- and one of those is Chris Larsen, Prosper's co-founder and CEO.   :ninja:  Of course lending is currently only open to California lenders.  But 7 of the Top 25 are in CA.  Thus, excluding Chris Larsen, only ONE out of the 6 Top 25 lenders eligible to lend have chosen to do so. 

I wonder why that is.  Perhaps the performance of these mega-lenders answers that question.  The best performer of the Top 25 has a projected LendingStats ROI of 6.73% -- certainly not bad.  But the worst performer of the Top 25 has a projected ROI of -17.75%.  Even if you discount that lender (Muleshoes) because if his unusual lending style, the second worst of the Top 25 has a projected ROI of -9.49%.  Only three of the Top 25 have ROI's > 4.41%.  Four of the Top 25 have negative ROI's.  The median (i.e., half did better, half did worse) ROI of the Top 25 is 2.34%.  They would have earned more than that in a 100% liquid, FDIC-insured internet savings account.

Well, maybe the satisfaction with Prosper is better with the next group of big lenders.  Instead of looking at the Top 25, let's look at the Top 100.  Numerically, this group constitutes less than 0.2% of all Prosper lenders who have ever made a loan.  But this group of lenders collectively provided over $23 million of Prosper's $179 million lent so far.  That is almost 13% of every dollar ever lent on Prosper -- more than 1 dollar out of every 8 ever lent. 

So how many of the Top 100 lenders have at least one active bid?  A mere Five -- including Chris Larsen.   :ninja:  30 of the Top 100 are in California and thus eligible to lend.  So excluding Chris Larsen, only 4 of the 29 Top 100 lenders eligible to lend have chosen to do so.  Of course, the fact that 29 of the Top 100 lenders have negative projected LendingStats ROI's might have something to do with that.

The numbers are even worse as you look at larger groups of top lenders.  There are 438 lenders who have lent more than $50,000.  Of those Top 438, a mere 10 have at least one active bid.  Although it is way too much work to see how many of those 438 are in California, assuming the same percentage as with the Top 100 are, one would expect 131 California lenders in the Top 438 -- so 10 is quite a paltry number.  Although perfectly understandable considering that the median projected ROI for the Top 438 is a pitiful 1.46%. 

Lastly, one would expect 300 California lenders in the Top 1000 if the same percentage applies as with the Top 100.  So how many have at least one active bid?  17

These numbers should be frightening to Prosper.  Presumably, however, Prosper figures that it can just find a new crop of suckers with extremely deep pockets.  It will be interesting to see whether it can.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

msava

• View Profile
Re: Miniscule # of Prosper's Biggest Lenders Are Bidding
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 06:45:34 am »

Other than here on .org, was there some big announcement that Prosper had reopened? If I was not a regular here, I wouldn't have known.
" Ten percent of what you eat feeds you, 90 percent feeds your doctor."

xraider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 06:59:06 am »

I received an email advising that Prosper had reopened.  If I received it, I'd expect all California lenders would have received it.
Prosper missed me.  They lifted my suspension a day early.

Navy-slush-fund

• Tubing on the St. Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 07:02:47 am »

Its pretty early yet to expect things to be going at or near full steam...However, given the overall investment performance on Prosper why would anyone want to put any serious amount of money here, the more history we get, the worse this place looks....

MsTabbyKats

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 07:20:22 am »

Prosper has 50,287 lenders who have made at least one loan.  But most of those lenders are essentially irrelevant to Prosper's originations, due to their extremely small portfolio sizes.  It has always been the case that relatively few lenders provided Prosper with the bulk of the money it has lent.  For example, let's look at the top 25 lenders (by dollars lent) on Prosper.  By number, this group represents less than 0.05% of all Prosper lenders.  However, this group lent more than $11 million -- more than 6% of the $179 million lent on Prosper since its inception.  Put another way, almost 1 dollar out of every 16 ever lent was provided by just the Top 25 lenders. 

You would think that it would be crucial to Prosper for this group of lenders to keep the money taps open.  So how many of the Top 25 have at least one active bid now that Prosper has been re-open for almost a week?  Exactly TWO -- and one of those is Chris Larsen, Prosper's co-founder and CEO.   :ninja:  Of course lending is currently only open to California lenders.  But 7 of the Top 25 are in CA.  Thus, excluding Chris Larsen, only ONE out of the 6 Top 25 lenders eligible to lend have chosen to do so. 

I wonder why that is.  Perhaps the performance of these mega-lenders answers that question.  The best performer of the Top 25 has a projected LendingStats ROI of 6.73% -- certainly not bad.  But the worst performer of the Top 25 has a projected ROI of -17.75%.  Even if you discount that lender (Muleshoes) because if his unusual lending style, the second worst of the Top 25 has a projected ROI of -9.49%.  Only three of the Top 25 have ROI's > 4.41%.  Four of the Top 25 have negative ROI's.  The median (i.e., half did better, half did worse) ROI of the Top 25 is 2.34%.  They would have earned more than that in a 100% liquid, FDIC-insured internet savings account.

Well, maybe the satisfaction with Prosper is better with the next group of big lenders.  Instead of looking at the Top 25, let's look at the Top 100.  Numerically, this group constitutes less than 0.2% of all Prosper lenders who have ever made a loan.  But this group of lenders collectively provided over $23 million of Prosper's $179 million lent so far.  That is almost 13% of every dollar ever lent on Prosper -- more than 1 dollar out of every 8 ever lent. 

So how many of the Top 100 lenders have at least one active bid?  A mere Five -- including Chris Larsen.   :ninja:  30 of the Top 100 are in California and thus eligible to lend.  So excluding Chris Larsen, only 4 of the 29 Top 100 lenders eligible to lend have chosen to do so.  Of course, the fact that 29 of the Top 100 lenders have negative projected LendingStats ROI's might have something to do with that.

The numbers are even worse as you look at larger groups of top lenders.  There are 438 lenders who have lent more than $50,000.  Of those Top 438, a mere 10 have at least one active bid.  Although it is way too much work to see how many of those 438 are in California, assuming the same percentage as with the Top 100 are, one would expect 131 California lenders in the Top 438 -- so 10 is quite a paltry number.  Although perfectly understandable considering that the median projected ROI for the Top 438 is a pitiful 1.46%. 

Lastly, one would expect 300 California lenders in the Top 1000 if the same percentage applies as with the Top 100.  So how many have at least one active bid?  17

These numbers should be frightening to Prosper.  Presumably, however, Prosper figures that it can just find a new crop of suckers with extremely deep pockets.  It will be interesting to see whether it can.

I think that the 6 month quiet period gave everyone, not just .org members, time to evaluate and re-think putting money into Prosper.  When it was active, and a loan would "go bad", you could always find another loan that you were certain ("Bid With Confidence") would be good.  However, without this "golden opportunity" for 6 months, we all saw the portfolios age.......and no new loans to offset the defaults.  Reality set in.............

This is just good old common sense.....you don't need analysis and charts to figure it out.

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 08:04:40 am »

I think that the 6 month quiet period gave everyone, not just .org members, time to evaluate and re-think putting money into Prosper.  When it was active, and a loan would "go bad", you could always find another loan that you were certain ("Bid With Confidence") would be good.  However, without this "golden opportunity" for 6 months, we all saw the portfolios age.......and no new loans to offset the defaults.  Reality set in.............

This is just good old common sense.....you don't need analysis and charts to figure it out.

Just like all good ponzi schemes.

dlv1945

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 08:30:33 am »

I received an email advising that Prosper had reopened.  If I received it, I'd expect all California lenders would have received it.

I didn't see one. Maybe it got lost in my spam filter, but the normal notices always reach me. I'm a California lender.
We Americans are the ultimate innocents.
We are forever desperate to believe that this time the government is telling us the truth.
-- Sydney Schanberg

rain - reign - rein.
there - they're - their.
There's a difference.
-- Grammar police

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 08:56:33 am »

I expect Fred93 to start bidding at any time because we all know how stubborn he is  :ninja:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

xraider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 09:18:01 am »

I didn't see one. Maybe it got lost in my spam filter, but the normal notices always reach me. I'm a California lender.

dlv, I'm really surprised.  If anyone WOULDN'T get the notice, I'd expect it to be me!  I'm such a vocal supporter and all.
Prosper missed me.  They lifted my suspension a day early.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 10:49:40 am »

Nominate for Lobby.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 10:52:33 am »

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 12:18:18 pm »

dlv, I'm really surprised.  If anyone WOULDN'T get the notice, I'd expect it to be me!  I'm such a vocal supporter and all.

I'm pretty sure the email address associated with my own Prosper account didn't get the email, but given that I'm perma-banned, that isn't surprising.  Both my wife and my mother-in-law (love those $50 referrals!) got the "we've repopened" emails on Tuesday.

ira01

• View Profile

Cushie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 12:27:03 pm »

Fab post Ira.  If anything should be a wake-up call for Prosper, this is it.  I'll be interested in seeing the same stats in a month to see if the lending by top lenders picks up or drops off as word spreads PMI is open.  I'm guessing it'll see a slight surge and then drop dramatically in six or so months (if Prosper lasts that long).

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 02:24:51 pm »

Fab post Ira.  If anything should be a wake-up call for Prosper, this is it.  I'll be interested in seeing the same stats in a month to see if the lending by top lenders picks up or drops off as word spreads PMI is open.  I'm guessing it'll see a slight surge and then drop dramatically in six or so months (if Prosper lasts that long).
stick a fork in it. there is only so much water you can throw on their face.

you're
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up