Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: So much for the re-opening!  (Read 25259 times)

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
Re: So much for the re-opening!
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2009, 02:48:39 pm »

it must suck to be a reporter covering prosper and have your articles out of date by the time they are published
http://www.nuwireinvestor.com/articles/prosper-returns-to-peer-to-peer-lending-marketplace-52936.aspx

I posted a reply telling them to fact check before posting, and pointing out they had 5 days to do so. (My reply was put into pre-moderation limbo)

Now the whole post is gone.
they changed the article .. the title, and some text
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2009, 07:21:35 pm »

it must suck to be a reporter covering prosper and have your articles out of date by the time they are published
http://www.nuwireinvestor.com/articles/prosper-returns-to-peer-to-peer-lending-marketplace-52936.aspx

I posted a reply telling them to fact check before posting, and pointing out they had 5 days to do so. (My reply was put into pre-moderation limbo)

Now the whole post is gone.
they changed the article .. the title, and some text

They did post my reply too.  8)

Mark12547

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2009, 09:30:58 pm »

The Wall Street Journal Blogs: Why Prosper.com Halted New Loans — Again

They say the insiders think the SEC wasn't happy about the opening during the "quiet period".
Free! I am free from Prosper!

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2009, 10:12:48 pm »

They say the insiders think the SEC wasn't happy about the opening during the "quiet period".

Reopening during the quite period was like mooning a cop when you're speeding down the interstate - not real smart and sure to get you the kind of attention you don't want.
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2009, 10:22:58 pm »

Reopening during the quite period was like mooning a cop when you're speeding down the interstate - not real smart and sure to get you the kind of attention you don't want.

Well said.  And Prosper's excuse for closing down again --the outcry from the lenders who couldn't lend--  is akin to telling the cop, "I'm pulling over for you, officer, so all the girls can wave to me"

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2009, 10:26:19 pm »

Well said.  And Prosper's excuse for closing down again --the outcry from the lenders who couldn't lend--  is akin to telling the cop, "I'm pulling over for you, officer, so all the girls can wave to me"

;D

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

Elmslice

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2009, 03:32:52 pm »

Last night Frontline broadcast a report entitled "The Madoff Affair."  It was an interesting program even for those of us who have followed the story closely.  On topic for this forum was a discussion regarding how Madoff was able to get away with selling securities without those securities being registered with the SEC.  It was stated that there is an "intrastate exemption" but that it applies only to if the security is sold to 15 or fewer customers.   The SEC has no explanation as to why they allowed Madoff to sell unregistered securities to thousands. 

So, could something like this have possibly happened?:

Prosper:  We're reopening.  The intrastate exemption allows us to sell securities to California investors only.   We have California's permission.  Suck it, SEC.

SEC:  Are you going to sell your securities to more than 15 Californians? 

Prosper:  Uh, yeah.

SEC:  Then you have to register with us.

Prosper:  We're closed again.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2009, 05:49:25 pm »

I wish I felt there was a greater degree of ethical differentiation between people like Madoff and the people running Prosper.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

TotoMMB

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2009, 05:50:20 pm »

It was stated that there is an "intrastate exemption" but that it applies only to if the security is sold to 15 or fewer customers.  

Coming soon, Prosper Lite! Or Prosper V.0.01.

"Come on in, we offer loans ranging from $1,000 to $3,000, 36-60 months terms, sold to a select group of VIP lenders. All notes auto-fund at the time of 15 bidders or 100% value, whichever comes first."

NewHorizon

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2009, 09:57:07 pm »

It was stated that there is an "intrastate exemption" but that it applies only to if the security is sold to 15 or fewer customers.   

Easily solved.

Prosper just needs to divide the number of California lenders by 15 and open that many mini-Prospers.  :)

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2009, 07:56:12 am »

I wonder if they played ignorant so they could open for a few weeks for the finovate show

you're

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2009, 11:56:49 am »

Besides the transfer money to Prosper still being available, emails I receive from them still say "Come on back and find some new notes to bid on:" with a big button link saying "Bid again now". Surely that's an easy fix.  ::)

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2009, 12:02:42 pm »

I wonder if they played ignorant so they could open for a few weeks for the finovate show

Although one never knows with prosper, I doubt it.  Re-opening and re-closing makes Prosper look like such an enormous idiot, that I doubt it would have been worth it. 

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2009, 12:07:06 pm »

Although one never knows with prosper, I doubt it.  Re-opening and re-closing makes Prosper look like such an enormous idiot, that I doubt it would have been worth it. 
Maybe they thought the campaign they launched at the same time (website, lobbying firm, CL Blog posts) would be enough to keep the SEC at bay.

you're

TotoMMB

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2009, 03:01:11 pm »

Agreed. Seems like all they did was further irk the SEC, all the while burning the few participants that returned (400+ attempted loans, 500+ CA lenders, new partner CPS). Now their foolish backpedaling/change of heart/"bowing to the people" is just heaping the embarassment on.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up