Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Action On Prosper "3.0" Ten Days In  (Read 5151 times)

Investar

• View Profile
Action On Prosper "3.0" Ten Days In
« on: July 26, 2009, 07:42:27 am »

How are lenders reacting to the new Prosper? I thought bidding seemed slow. Did lenders flee in droves? Some adjustment to what I think I see is necessary. Just 9 of the 25 most populous states are participating (36%). Of 304 million Americans, only 115 million are eligible (38%). So the "bidding power" is about 35% of what I'm used to seeing. I'm also see the listings longer. We have 14 day auctions now vs 7 day auctions in the 'olden' days. 

BY DAY 10 some 713 borrower listings had arrived. Of those, about 53 were eligible to become loans (were 100% funded). 60 others showed promise, were 25% funded or better. The "also ran" numbered 600. Olden days, the roster of listings numbered over 2,000 on a given day. As I recall, about 175 to 200 were eligible to become loans (100% funded) on any given day.

PROSPER IS SEEING A 40% DROP IN LENDER PARTICIPATION
     53 loans (÷) 10 days = 5.3 loans funded per day now
     61 loans (÷)   7 days = 8.7 loans funded per day then***

***(actual of 175 funded per day (x) 35% to account for reduced "bidding power" if 2/3 of lenders would have been shut out then) I expect the 40% participation drop is a conservative number.

BY DAY 10 borrowers were asking for some cumulative 3.5 million dollars in loans, or $365,000 requested on the average day. ERicsCC graph of Prosper Bidding Activity shows average bidding volume per day at about 60k. The bid to cover ratio on this series of Notes is 0.164, possibly setting a new all-time low for demand among "public" note auctions.

10 DAY SNAPSHOT of Eric's graph attached
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:44:17 am by Investar »

tekiegreg

• The WILD Computer Geek
    • View Profile
    • Codesweep's Home on the 'net
Re: Action On Prosper "3.0" Ten Days In
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:51:17 am »

It still disturbs me some that the bid volume is going up, even if it is far behind demand.  Guess the borrowers ran back all at once and the lenders while reluctant are coming back too fairly slowly...

Any conclusions to be drawn from this behavior?
It's all Bamalucky's fault.

onthefence

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 08:18:52 am »

They have either not read or understood the prospectus.
Lobby permission granted

Investar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 08:41:03 am »

Greed is a wonderful thing and there are the gamblers, but who reads prospectuses anyway. (eta) If Prosper secures the working capital it needs to survive I'm prepared to look again. Not before.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 08:51:55 am by Investar »

tekiegreg

• The WILD Computer Geek
    • View Profile
    • Codesweep's Home on the 'net
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 10:29:38 am »

Greed is a wonderful thing and there are the gamblers, but who reads prospectuses anyway. (eta) If Prosper secures the working capital it needs to survive I'm prepared to look again. Not before.
At a minimum collections need to improve, I either need to see a lot more of my defaults coughing up cash or loans going forward having a low default % also a little more visibility into collections (how many calls/emails/etc.).
It's all Bamalucky's fault.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 02:25:58 pm »

Nominate for the lobby
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

msava

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 02:52:35 pm »

If the news is to be believed, Californians are hurting for money. There is a much smaller lender base, since so many states are forbidden from bidding. Has to hurt Prosper's numbers.
" Ten percent of what you eat feeds you, 90 percent feeds your doctor."

Mark12547

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 02:58:15 pm »

Nominate for the lobby

Investar, do we have your permission to move this thread to The Lobby?
Free! I am free from Prosper!

Investar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 05:17:37 pm »

Nominate for the lobby

Investar, do we have your permission to move this thread to The Lobby?

Yes, certainly. There are those who access more definitive data than I have. Hope to hear their report as activity unfolds. (hint hint to Fred93 among others)

Investar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 07:12:25 am »

It still disturbs me some that the bid volume is going up... Any conclusions to be drawn from this behavior?

If the news is to be believed, Californians are hurting for money. There is a much smaller lender base, since so many states are forbidden from bidding. Has to hurt Prosper's numbers.

Yes, and California is highly influential. In addition to being the most populous state, California enjoys a disproportionately high ratio of lenders per capita. The "California only" experiment in late April generated excitement that had not completely fizzled. Fustification in Georgia and Illinois sparked advanced interest there a month later. Georgia and Illinois are two other major players, along with New York.

Notice there are three spikes on the graph, day (1) being the tallest. Certainly that strength shows pent-up demand. But most of that $130,000 came from 'slush' money languishing is lender's cash accounts. California lenders had some $150,000 returned to them when April's mini-auction closed mid-stream. "I've got cash there, why not bid? Let's see how this thing works," may have been the mindset in states reawakened at Prosper's launch.

The second and third spikes may be more indicative of what the future holds. The $115,000 spike on day (5) was thanks to fresh money coming into the arena. It occurred about the time on-line transfers of less than $500 would be credited to lender's accounts. Notice that by day (4) lender's vaults had been emptied.

The study on Eric's Credit Community makes no distinction between fresh capital coming to market and existing cash bumped and re-bidding. But with so few listings fully funded, most of the activity on Eric's graph right now has to be new money coming to play. The third spike of $90,000 on day (10) seems to agree. Lenders who plunged in during the first and second wave blew their wads and went back to the well for more, which transferred in that day.

Tall peaks and deep valleys on the graph will settle out as time moves forward. Notice each peak is lower than the last. The conclusion I draw is that pent-up demand is nearly satisfied. Ardent lenders have most of the cash they will bring already sitting on the table. There are not enough lending states to meet borrowing states demand. If they don't beat each other up on price (like they always do), lenders will enjoy an increase in reward for the risk they take versus the 'old' Prosper.

onthefence

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 06:13:59 pm »

If they don't beat each other up on price (like they always do), lenders will enjoy an increase in reward for the risk they take versus the 'old' Prosper.
There might be worthwhile value in there if not for the fact the Prosper owns the loan & is not currently operating at a break even point and currently lacks the capital to last a year much less 3 years.
Lobby permission granted

divindj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 12:09:27 pm »

"Stupid is as stupid does"
"There's a sucker born every minute"
"I believe in Prosper"...

I suspect it's mostly people who got extremely-lucky on loans the first time or those who don't understand just how much risk they have taken-on or are too ignorant to do their full due-dilligence in seeing what Prosper really does for a Lender.
Pages: [1]   Go Up