Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I everyone, I'm new to P2P  (Read 42436 times)

riderkb

• View Profile
I everyone, I'm new to P2P
« on: August 24, 2009, 11:51:12 am »

I know one person (a friend of a friend) who dabbles in P2P lending and it got me interested. I'm considering lending a few hundred dollars on Prosper to get my feet wet.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
Re: I everyone, I'm new to P2P
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:55:28 am »

Welcome to Org.  Please take a few days to read and learn before you do anything.  First of all, make sure you understand the implications of Prosper's S-1 filing with the SEC.

There are plenty of people here who would be happy to share their knowledge with you.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

cubbiesnextyr

• Suspended since 12/13/07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 12:10:17 pm »

Welcome!  Please use the search function liberally, but if you can't find an answer to your question, feel free to post a question.  The chances of someone here knowing the answer is approaching 100%.

Beerbud1

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:11:52 pm »

Welcome as well. Take the second posters advice and read these forums thoroughly if you want to hang onto your money.

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 12:36:09 pm »

Welcome.  As Urbi said, please take some time to read the wealth of information available on this site and others.  I have a few questions for you:

1)  Do you realize that about 40% of all Prosper loans ever made are or will be delinquent?  See Fred93's highly informative graphs here -- http://www.prospers.org/forum/fred93_blog_08012009_late_loan_stats_and_the_sad_legal_test_joke-t15121.0.html

2)  Do you know that Prosper has repeatedly breached its contract with lenders, including by unilaterally switching collection agencies (at a higher cost to lenders), unilaterally refusing to sell defaulted loans to Junk Debt Buyers, unilaterally modifying loan terms, including reducing monthly payments and principal, despite express prohibitions on this in the Lender Registration Agreement, etc.?

3)  Do you know that out of the more than 40,000 lenders with an average loan age of more than 365 days, the average (mean) expected Return On Investment (ROI) is -3.45 and the median (half do better, half do worse) is -2.0%?  http://www.ericscc.com/stats/lender-return-distribution

4)  Are you aware that unlike with original Prosper, any loans issued now are NOT owned by the individual "lenders," but are actually owned by Prosper?  You do not have any ownership interest in the payment stream from the borrower, nor do you have a security interest in it.  Thus, you are merely an unsecured creditor of Prosper, like any of its other unsecured creditors.  In the event of a Prosper bankruptcy, "lenders" will be standing in line with all of Prosper's own creditors to receive any payments.  And highly relevant to this issue, is the fact that according to Prosper's own financial statements in its SEC Registration, it only has enough cash to stay in business for about another 4 months.  Unless it receives another large infusion of cash, presumably from its Venture Capitalist backers (who may well be having second thoughts about Prosper, especially given its anemic level of loan originations), it will be out of money.

There are many other issues with Prosper, as you will discover by doing your due diligence, but this ought to give you some food for thought.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

tekiegreg

• The WILD Computer Geek
    • View Profile
    • Codesweep's Home on the 'net
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:01:35 pm »

I see the welcoming committee has done a great job of pointing out many good points here.  Just remember most of us on this forum are not big fans of Prosper.  Most of us have all been burnt to some extent or another.  Even to the point of filing lawsuits against prosper (search for that if you like).  Tread very carefully in Prosper when lending....it's a jungle out there...
It's all Bamalucky's fault.

onthefence

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 03:30:47 pm »

I am personally on the long term wait & see plan.  Prosper does not have enough funds to last 3 years & can't cover their operating expenses, I won't even consider them until this changes.
Lobby permission granted

ToySoldier

• Lord Savage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 10:43:34 pm »

I know one person (a friend of a friend) who dabbles in P2P lending and it got me interested. I'm considering lending a few hundred dollars on Prosper to get my feet wet.

Rider... I too was interested in lending money after I took out a loan from Prosper (now 100% paid) but quickly learned before putting any money in that it's an evil place for Lenders. It used to be pretty decent to borrow money (Prosper v.1) but the new rules are punishing now for borrowers. I'd only do it for entertainment... a few hundred bucks... but remember what you read earlier in this thread... if Prosper goes under... you will have to line up with the rest to get your money back. Personally I dont see Prosper lasting 3 more years or I'd throw around a few hundred for laughs and giggles.

Here is a recent Lender (ResearchPro) who had high hopes of reaching a 10% or more interest goal but is now far below that and my novice guess says he'll be lucky to break even when all his loans mature to the 3yr mark.

What Is Woke? - by Critical Drinker w/ 648,000+ views - https://youtu.be/LhRC6PQbCDo?t=75

You buy Bitcoin when you realize you were wrong

I'm "Right-Wing"?!? Not quite...
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37842.msg809141#msg809141

As our resident Jim Cramer

Senator

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 10:54:27 pm »

Welcome as well. I have nothing else to add but my Prosper stats.  See below.
Stats as of 12/29/2010:
Total withdrawals: $3,488.87 minus (-) Total deposits: $3,600.00 = ($111.13)
Cash balance: $0
Principal value of active notes:  $0
Total active notes: 0 of 70.

Successful loans are made to persons who are on a clear path to financial stability. -Mjerryfirst May 18th, 2008.

I know that when I make my 10% those "unbelievers" will call it luck cause that will be the easiest way to excuse their mistakes. -Researchpro May 5th, 2009.

It's a great time to be poor and irresponsible in America. -PPT May 2009

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 08:39:13 am »

welcome. prosper is a great place to become a millionaire.

(if you are a billionaire)

you're

Mark12547

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 08:55:28 am »

welcome. prosper is a great place to become a millionaire.

(if you are a billionaire)

Or to make a small fortune out of a large fortune;)
Free! I am free from Prosper!

tekiegreg

• The WILD Computer Geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 11:29:13 am »

Rider... I too was interested in lending money after I took out a loan from Prosper (now 100% paid) but quickly learned before putting any money in that it's an evil place for Lenders. It used to be pretty decent to borrow money (Prosper v.1) but the new rules are punishing now for borrowers. I'd only do it for entertainment... a few hundred bucks... but remember what you read earlier in this thread... if Prosper goes under... you will have to line up with the rest to get your money back. Personally I dont see Prosper lasting 3 more years or I'd throw around a few hundred for laughs and giggles.

Here is a recent Lender (ResearchPro) who had high hopes of reaching a 10% or more interest goal but is now far below that and my novice guess says he'll be lucky to break even when all his loans mature to the 3yr mark.

Dumb question, what was your source for that graph?  EricsCC still has him at 10.5% and that's how I was tracking his promises...

ToySoldier

• Lord Savage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 11:50:09 am »

Dumb question, what was your source for that graph?  EricsCC still has him at 10.5% and that's how I was tracking his promises...

Got it from this thread. Is it incorrect?
http://www.prospers.org/forum/empty-t11350.0.html

What Is Woke? - by Critical Drinker w/ 648,000+ views - https://youtu.be/LhRC6PQbCDo?t=75

You buy Bitcoin when you realize you were wrong

I'm "Right-Wing"?!? Not quite...
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37842.msg809141#msg809141

As our resident Jim Cramer

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 12:10:14 pm »

That's my graph, and it is correct.  I use RP's own ROI calculations, which (to his credit) he updates and posts each month.

tekiegreg

• The WILD Computer Geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 01:15:13 pm »

That's my graph, and it is correct.  I use RP's own ROI calculations, which (to his credit) he updates and posts each month.
Tanx, everyone has a different story on how he'll do, we'll find out in another ~1 year I suppose...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up