Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Another well-informed blogger: Prosper and Lending Club – Scam or Real Thing  (Read 19437 times)

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile

http://www.finetunedfinances.com/2009/08/lending-club-scam/

Some highlights from this idiot's blog:

When these companies first went into business, they were operating without oversight from the SEC. In 2008, the SEC stepped in and filed an injunction preventing Prosper.com from doing business because the Securities and Exchange Commission contended that Prosper.com was illegally selling unregulated securities. Eventually, Prosper.com and the SEC settled and came to an arrangement where Prosper would securitize their offerings with the SEC and become legitimate. Lending Club has always operated within the realm of SEC oversight.

Make up your mind...

If you’re an investor, there is money to be made in making loans on Prosper and Lending Club. Some have said that prosper and lending club scams their investors because the default rates have been relatively high, but in the last several months, Lending Club and Prosper.com have taken steps to make sure that they only loan to individuals who are likely to repay their loan.

"Can" is not the same as "will" or "intend."

Many investors have made between 9.00% and 14.00% APR back on their money. Investing through Lending Club or Prosper does take a bit more work than simply investing in a mutual fund, but it does offer some good diversification outside of stocks and bonds.

Please back that up with some credible evidence.

There are a few people that have made bad loan decisions that have lost money investing in loans through these companies, but like any investment, there is some risk involved.

:D
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

ira01

• View Profile

http://www.finetunedfinances.com/2009/08/lending-club-scam/

Many investors have made between 9.00% and 14.00% APR back on their money. Investing through Lending Club or Prosper does take a bit more work than simply investing in a mutual fund, but it does offer some good diversification outside of stocks and bonds.

Please back that up with some credible evidence.

Depends on what "Many" means.  There are 19,900 Prosper lenders with >20 loans and an average age  >365 days.  A whopping 269 of them have Eric's ROI's >9% -- that's less than 1.4% of those lenders.  Is that "many"?  :ninja:

There are a few people that have made bad loan decisions that have lost money investing in loans through these companies, but like any investment, there is some risk involved.

Since "many" apparently means 1.4%, I wonder what "a few" means to this guy?  Out of those same 19,900 Prosper lenders, 13,594 have NEGATIVE ROI's -- that's 68.3% of them.   :ninja:  Apparently, this guy needs to read the dictionary more.   ;D
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

ira01

• View Profile

Posted the following comment:

Do you realize that this piece is full of erroneous and misleading information?  For example, contrary to the article, Lending Club was also operating for quite some time without SEC registration, and shut down for months to obtain it like (but before) Prosper. 

More importantly, the claims about lender performance are nothing short of ridiculous.  You claim that "Many investors have made between 9.00% and 14.00% APR back on their money."  In reality, there are 19,900 Prosper lenders with >20 loans and an average age >365 days.  A mere 269 of them have projected ROIs >9.0% -- that is less than 1.4% of such lenders. 

OTOH, you claim that "There are a few people that have made bad loan decisions that have lost money investing in loans through these companies."  In reality, of those same 19,900 Prosper lenders, fully 13,594 of them have NEGATIVE projected ROIs -- that's a whopping 68.3% of them.  Both the mean and median ROIs are solidly negative, as five minutes of research would demonstrate to you.

There are many resources available with the true facts about Prosper.  For a wealth of stats, supplied directly by Prosper, see www.ericscc.com.  For an enormous amount of discussion about Prosper (and to a lesser extent other P2P sites), see www.prospers.org.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• View Profile

Good comment.  Let's see if he will approve it for publication.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"

TotoMMB

• View Profile

What is a scam is this clown's write-up. Prosper is not a scam, it's just a poorly run venture.

I think we should tell him (or her) to edit some of those lines highlighted by Urbi. For instance, the article takes on more credibility if we go with:

Many Few investors have made between 9.00% and 14.00% APR back on their money.

And...

There are a few many people that have made bad loan decisions that have lost money investing in loans:o

And personally, I felt my decisions were good. It's the borrowers that have failed to uphold their end of the bargain. If only I were Chase or Citi and could raise the rates of my remaining borrowers to make up for the shortfall. Would be nice to be on the other side of "universal default-ing" someone...

ira01

• View Profile

Good comment.  Let's see if he will approve it for publication.

I hate blogs that make it look (to the person leaving the comment) that it has been posted, but not to anyone else.  When I view the blog in Firefox (which I used to make the post), I see the comment with no indication that it is awaiting approval.  In IE, no comment.  Obviously a cookie.

onthefence

• View Profile

Public comment on a blog post?
Lobby
Lobby permission granted

Urbi_et_Orbi

• View Profile

So far, the not-quite-ready-for-primetime blogger has opted to NOT publish Ira's comment.

ToySoldier

• Lord Savage
    • View Profile

For some reason he decided to allow this response to his blog:

What Is Woke? - by Critical Drinker w/ 648,000+ views - https://youtu.be/LhRC6PQbCDo?t=75

You buy Bitcoin when you realize you were wrong

I'm "Right-Wing"?!? Not quite...
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37842.msg809141#msg809141

As our resident Jim Cramer

Mtnchick

• View Profile

;D
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

ira01

• View Profile

Great -- so he allows that, but not my comment??

Urbi_et_Orbi

• View Profile

THAT is classic!

DakotahFury

• View Profile
"If you are up-to-date on your vaccines today, and you avail yourself of the treatments, your chances of dying COVID are vanishingly rare and certainly much lower than your risk of getting into trouble with the flu," Jha (White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator) told NPR.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• View Profile

Nominate for lobby.

:D

TotoMMB

• View Profile

Fan-freakin-tastic...  ;) ;D :D :)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up