Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Collections – Hardship Arrangement are Benefiting Lenders  (Read 44587 times)

ira01

• View Profile
Re: Collections – Hardship Arrangement are Benefiting Lenders
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2009, 06:39:37 pm »

In case it helps onloookers, here's the link to the blog post that Shen mentions.

Also, Prosper posted this:
Under this program, if a borrower proactively contacts Prosper, we will agree to a short term reduced payment. In exchange for faithfully making these agreed payments, Prosper maintains the borrowers “Current” rating in credit bureau reporting. We waive no interest or fees under this program.
(in one of the comments here)

FWIW, I interpret "...we will agree to..." as meaning they are permitting.

Of course that is what it means.  I think everything except WTF sees that.  "We will agree to a short term reduced payment" (like Prosper's very "offering" alternative payment arrangements to borrowers), clearly means that Prosper is deferring payment of the rest, in patent violation of the express terms of the LRA.  I'm not going to argue with WTF anymore about this, as there is no point.  Although I will just mention that the integration clause ("This agreement, along with the Prosper Terms and Conditions, represent the entire agreement between you and Prosper . . . .") doesn't have the legal effect he thinks it has either.  In the face of such a provision, prior and contemporaneous statements may not be offered to CONTRADICT the terms of the writing; however, they most assuredly CAN be used to INTERPRET the terms of the writing. 
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

wftrust

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2009, 11:44:08 pm »

In case it helps onloookers, here's the link to the blog post that Shen mentions.

Also, Prosper posted this:
Under this program, if a borrower proactively contacts Prosper, we will agree to a short term reduced payment. In exchange for faithfully making these agreed payments, Prosper maintains the borrowers “Current” rating in credit bureau reporting. We waive no interest or fees under this program.
(in one of the comments here)

FWIW, I interpret "...we will agree to..." as meaning they are permitting.

Of course that is what it means. I think everything except WTF sees that. "We will agree to a short term reduced payment" (like Prosper's very "offering" alternative payment arrangements to borrowers), clearly means that Prosper is deferring payment of the rest, in patent violation of the express terms of the LRA. I'm not going to argue with WTF anymore about this, as there is no point. Although I will just mention that the integration clause ("This agreement, along with the Prosper Terms and Conditions, represent the entire agreement between you and Prosper . . . .") doesn't have the legal effect he thinks it has either. In the face of such a provision, prior and contemporaneous statements may not be offered to CONTRADICT the terms of the writing; however, they most assuredly CAN be used to INTERPRET the terms of the writing.

Hmm won't or can't?

But anyway. The bottom line is that Prosper can and will continue "to agree to" accept any payment offered.  And they should and would be foolish not to.

If anyone in thier right mind (even lawyers) believe that the people who wrote the LRA had any intention other than giving themselves, in the broadest terms, rights to do just about anything. Then they must be fairly naive.

So from my perspective it is very clear what the intention of the LRA was, from their point of view, from the very beginning. You had a choice to agree or disagree, and you obviously agreed. Now in retrospect you disagree, because you say they did not have that intention there to begin with. I call bullshit, to use your own so eloquent words.

Now if you had at least argued that you believe that they had the intention to defraud here, like you have many times before, then I would agree...

WFT

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2009, 01:07:55 am »

If anyone in thier right mind (even lawyers) believe that the people who wrote the LRA had any intention other than giving themselves, in the broadest terms, rights to do just about anything. Then they must be fairly naive.

I am not naive, and I absolutely do not believe that Prosper intended to give itself the right to do what they are now doing.  And the reason is that if they had, I (and many, if not most, other people) would have NEVER lent on Prosper.  Prosper put that express prohibition in the LRA not because they like restricting their discretion (which, of course, they don't), but because what moron is going to lend their money if Prosper can do whatever they hell they want to the terms of the loans once made?  And that is also why Prosper made many statements to lenders at the time confirming my view now.  And all of those statements would absolutely be admissible to defeat your proffered interpretation were Prosper to argue it.

As a practical matter, it doesn't matter -- It doesn't look like anyone is going to sue Prosper over this (certainly there are many better things to sue Prosper over if anyone were so inclined).  Prosper is lucky that the class action was filed when it was, because if it wouldn't have, Prosper would have been sued over quite the collection of misdeeds (and the consequent discovery would have been quite illuminating, I'm sure).  But the class action wound up putting the kibosh on that. 

I'm not sure why you have such a bug up your ass about this, but it looks like you haven't convinced anyone here.  Which probably ought to tell you something.

God-Father

• Pay up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2009, 04:44:11 am »

But the class action wound up putting the kibosh on that. 

Why?

I'm not going to argue with WTF anymore about this, as there is no point.

Now are you done?

NewHorizon

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2009, 06:42:46 am »

Why?

Yeah - I was wondering about that.
Maybe the thought is that Prosper is likely to lose the class action case and so there'll be nothing left to award other plaintiffs in other cases.

ETA: I was kind of disappointed to see WFT either abandon or lose sight of his "Prosper did not give permission to make partial payments" line of reasoning and shift instead to the idea that the LRA gives Prosper the "rights to do just about anything."  It's beginning to feel like a Whomp-the-Mole game. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 06:46:06 am by NewHorizon »

God-Father

• Pay up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2009, 07:35:03 am »

Why?

Yeah - I was wondering about that.
Maybe the thought is that Prosper is likely to lose the class action case and so there'll be nothing left to award other plaintiffs in other cases.

ETA: I was kind of disappointed to see WFT either abandon or lose sight of his "Prosper did not give permission to make partial payments" line of reasoning and shift instead to the idea that the LRA gives Prosper the "rights to do just about anything."  It's beginning to feel like a Whomp-the-Mole game. 

Could be - I often suspected it was just a lot of .org huffing and puffing with no real intent.  The threats went on for a long time for it just to poof. 

Standing by for the real answer.

wftrust

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2009, 12:25:57 pm »

I will try to explain my position a little differently. Since there is still misunderstanding I will blame it on my poor attempts so far, so I will try to find another avenue of approach.

The Borrowers Loan Agreement and the LRA, for that matter almost any contract you care to mention, are a give and take document. A tit for tat if you will, given this action there will be this reaction.

These Prosper agreements are no different. We lenders promise to loan to the borrower X dollars and they then promise to pay back said amounts over time with interest on a certain schedule. Action / reaction. Pretty simple.

The borrower makes payments as agreed and we do not take remedies as allowed to us. Again simple action/reaction, although a negative reaction (to take no action is still an action).

Now if the borrower takes a different action “does not pay as the note states”. Prosper as our administrator has a couple of reactions (remedies, as stated in the Loan & LRA Docs) that they can (or even read that “must”, I do not care) eventually take. Those for our argument are;

1) Wait 30 days then decide within what timeframe to turn this Note over to collections. They only have to turn it over sometime after 30 days (not at 31 days, nor 32 days, or anything until some might argue 120 days. This is the reason I think Prosper put a 3-4 month clause in for this catch up agreement). Yes they have had a standard business practice of turning most of them over fairly soon after the 30 days (especially if there has been no borrower communications), but these documents do not dictate that. As our agent Prosper makes that call.

Side note: The problem in the past was Prosper was not making that timely call, now they are and we are still complaining.

2) Report the borrower to a CRA. While this is not dictated by the LRA nor loan docs it is a fairly standard business practice to do so, and is a stick that Prosper can bring to bear. But they are not required to, nor are they required by a document to report it a certain way.

Typically if the borrower continues to communicate and make efforts (has a conscience) to pay his debt the administrator/lender will report that debt as “as agreed”, which is the same as saying “current”. Nothing unusual, nor wrong, heck my business does the same. Difficult for other lenders to rely on though, but not wrong. You do not want to alienate your borrower, nor encourage him not to continue making acceptable efforts to pay down his obligation. The borrower is still your customer, if you will, until he has paid off this note. So you should be willing to do whatever it takes to keep him paying you until it is paid in full. Especially if your responses are limited like it is in an unsecured note.

As many here have stated, once the loan is turned over to collections the borrower has nothing more to lose, might as well stop paying. That is a big part of the reason for such a miserable return from a collection agency. Other threads here have even complained about Prosper turning them over when the borrower was making partial payments (talk about talking out of both sides of your mouths).

3) Sometime AFTER 120 days Prosper is required to sell this loan and recoup whatever they can for the lenders. Again, not 121 days, nor 122, nor any unreasonable period actually.

That is it; that is the grand extent of the reactions. Prosper has no other options under the agreement, and in fact is not doing anything other than these things with this program.

Of course Prosper has a duty to us to encourage, cajole, beg, plead, place any word you want to here (like say “to agree to”), to get the borrower to pay as per the terms of the note. But the borrower is in control of that piece of the transaction not Prosper. Prosper can only control the reaction, not the action.

Neither the borrower nor Prosper is disagreeing that the loan is in default. Late fees, interest etc and any other remedies we are allowed, can and eventually will take place if needed. So there is no loan modification, only the reaction is being modified from Prospers normal business process (which is not outside the doc’s required processes).

Last thought here is the thread title “Collections – Hardship Arrangements are Benefiting Lenders”. I would submit as long as Prosper “accepts” better than 83% of the payment due, the lenders is benefiting (saves the outside 17% collection costs).

HTH’s lay out my position better. Quit focusing on the payment (borrowers’ action), it is the reaction (Prospers response in our behalf under the terms of the agreements) that is the key point.

WFT

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2009, 02:28:09 pm »

The Borrowers Loan Agreement and the LRA, for that matter almost any contract you care to mention, are a give and take document. A tit for tat if you will, given this action there will be this reaction.

Really? Did you really just type that?

con⋅tract  /n., adj., and usually for v. 15–17, 21, 22 ˈkɒntrækt; otherwise v. kənˈtrækt/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [n., adj., and usually for v. 15–17, 21, 22 kon-trakt; otherwise v. kuhn-trakt]  Show IPA
Use contract in a Sentence
See web results for contract
See images of contract
–noun 1. an agreement between two or more parties for the doing or not doing of something specified

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/contract

I suggest you do a little reading at best. Contracts aren't flexible unless both parties agree
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Mark12547

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2009, 08:38:25 pm »

I will try to explain my position a little differently. ...

You still sound like a Prosper borrower trying to explain away the contractual agreements.
Free! I am free from Prosper!

wftrust

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2009, 08:47:51 pm »

Really? Did you really just type that?

con⋅tract  /n., adj., and usually for v. 15–17, 21, 22 ˈkɒntrækt; otherwise v. kənˈtrækt/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [n., adj., and usually for v. 15–17, 21, 22 kon-trakt; otherwise v. kuhn-trakt]  Show IPA
Use contract in a Sentence
See web results for contract
See images of contract
–noun 1. an agreement between two or more parties for the doing or not doing of something specified

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/contract

I suggest you do a little reading at best. Contracts aren't flexible unless both parties agree

Duh!

Where did you get anywhere in my post that I said the document was flexible?!?!?!? How could you even construe that I did?!?!?

Did you even read beyond the first paragraph?!?

The document prescribes the actions and the responses. Prosper followed every one of its prescribed responses. So get a clue.  Only the borrower did not.

WFT

wftrust

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2009, 08:49:28 pm »

I will try to explain my position a little differently. ...

You still sound like a Prosper borrower trying to explain away the contractual agreements.

Nope I should have completely followed the old adage, neither a borrower nor a lender be. I have it half right....

havastat

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2009, 09:56:06 am »

I tend to agree with WFT here.

The contract uses several phrases here, such as best efforts language, duty of  care, and fiduciary duty, that simply have no meaning unless there is discretion. This language is the sort used when experts agree to perform duties requiring expertise and discretion on behalf of clients. They simply make no sense if the duties involved were rigidly automatic. And one doesn't interpret contracts in a way that turns lots of their provisions into nonsense. The contract speaks of Prosper attempt to collect. But if Prosper's sole duty is to turn loans over to a collection agency, that provision also has no meaning. Collecting is attemping to drum up some money when the full amount hasn't been paid as agreed. That's what collecting is. If routine collecting behavior were a violation of the contract, all the provisions about collecting would be nullities.

There's an enormous difference between temporarily holding off heavy-handed collections  actions if the borrower is willing to cough up some cash, and doing something that would affect the lender's rights in court in the event of a lawsuit. What Prosper promised was not to do the latter, not the former. Since Prosper's actions have no affect whatsover on the lender's or borrower's respective rights in the event of a lawsuit, there's been no legally relevant modification to the agreement of any kind.

This whole argument is a bit like claiming that a lawyer hired to pursue a lawsuit has committed malpractice if he or she agreed to a continuance or listened to a settlement proposal, or even issued a demand letter prior to immediately filing suit. With all due respect, it just doesn't work that way. A contract with a lawyer that gave the lawyer that little discretion would be really unusual, and a nonlawyer who interpreted standard boilerplate as prohibiting routine behavior would simply be being naive, nothing more. Same here.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:11:50 am by havastat »

havastat

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2009, 10:08:08 am »

Additional comment; Some commentators have said that Prosper ought to look out for the interests of future lenders rather than considering only what will maximimize the chances of some payment occurring in the immediate situation. But the lending agreement actually forbids such an approach. Prosper has a duty to look out for the the lender's interest, not the interest of other people who aren't parties to the contract.

It might be "nice" if Prosper took the money and gave it all to charity instead of to the lender, but it wouldn't be legal. Prosper would be breeching the contract's fiduciary duty if it made the lender lose money for the benefit of the general public or its own or some commentator's ideas of altruism when not required by law to do so.

This really isn't any different.

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2009, 12:05:26 pm »

There's an enormous difference between temporarily holding off heavy-handed collections  actions if the borrower is willing to cough up some cash, and doing something that would affect the lender's rights in court in the event of a lawsuit. What Prosper promised was not to do the latter, not the former. Since Prosper's actions have no affect whatsover on the lender's or borrower's respective rights in the event of a lawsuit, there's been no legally relevant modification to the agreement of any kind.

You're wrong.  As Prosper itself has stated, it offers borrowers "a short term reduced payment."  If Prosper tried to sue the borrower for the late payments (as it would be perfectly within its rights to do) soon after agreeing to such an arrangement, it would lose, due to the new payment agreement.  Thus, this most certainly IS a "legally relevant modification." 

alexpkeaton

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2009, 08:09:01 am »

It's been said before, but we'd all probably give Prosper the benefit of the doubt if they were doing this 2-3 years ago. Now, after so many screw-ups, not many are willing to give Prosper an inch because there is no trust left. I'm not necessarily opposed to Prosper modifying loan terms if it truly is in the lenders' interest, but based on their record, I don't trust Prosper to make any decisions regarding my loans anymore. Would it have been so hard to just ask lenders if a modification was okay?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up