Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 9,000 loans now charged off on Prosper.com  (Read 37025 times)

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
9,000 loans now charged off on Prosper.com
« on: March 09, 2010, 12:16:19 pm »

As I reviewed the marketplace statistics this morning, I noted that Prosper Loans Marketplace has reached the sad milestone of 9,000 charged-off loans.

Yes, you read correctly, NINE THOUSAND loans have been charged off.

http://www.prosper.com/invest/performance.aspx
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

ira01

• View Profile
Re: 9,000 loans now charged off on Prosper.com
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:17:41 pm »

Going to get a lot worse.  We know that around 40% of P1.0 loans are going to get charged off.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 01:26:37 pm »

30,983 P1 loans x 40% = 12,293 P1 loans expected to be charged off.

Roughly speaking.  Plus or minus a few people's retirement savings.

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:28:22 pm »

30,983 P1 loans x 40% = 12,293 P1 loans expected to be charged off.

Roughly speaking.  Plus or minus a few people's retirement savings.
have you thought about sharing your story?

you're

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:32:56 pm »

And where are those lawsuits Doug Fuller promised?

He now has 9,000 targets.  Surely he can pick some so easy that even he could win.

Beerbud1

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 01:54:05 pm »

He now has 9,000 targets.  Surely he can pick some so easy that even he could win.
Well Let's see...he won one out of 66 that we know of. That's a .015151515151515 win record.

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 02:26:25 pm »

Well Let's see...he won one out of 66 that we know of. That's a .015151515151515 win record.
(out of a group of "cherry picked" loans)

you're

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 02:26:57 pm »

And 8999 out of 9000 languish.  That's a 99.99888% get away with it rating.  Pretty good odds!

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 02:40:13 pm »

Lobby
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

Beerbud1

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 04:19:43 pm »

2nd For the Lobby.

nonattender

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 01:04:41 pm »

(I was going to make this reply in another thread, but I think it fits better in this one.)

You guys toss around all these silly numbers about X% of loans have defaulted, but that's an incredibly dopey (in its ability to mislead) metric to look at, given that every payment is money.

How about the fact that 23.19% of every dollar lent on Prosper has disappeared as a net charge-off -- that's $44.4 million dollars.  Is that a "silly number" too?  Add in another 2.02% that is 1+ months late, and more than 1 out of every 4 dollars ever lent is gone.

Bank of America CC chargeoffs were at ~15% (and trending higher) the last time I looked, which was
about eight months ago, CitiGroup was ~11% (also trending higher), and delinquency rates, industry-
wide (similar to the 1+ months late you refer to), were running at around 6%, at the end of the year.
Moody's is projecting that these trends will continue (read:  get worse), all the way into middle 2010.
(I notice that you watch unemployment figures closely, do you think those might be a macro-signal?)

The banks have professional analysts and monstrously tweaked credit decisioning algorithms to make
their lending decisions for them (not individuals), and were doing only slightly better than us "people",
who, relatively, started into the lending business yesterday (and in a RECESSION), and, also, lenders
here, in many cases, chased after the high rates and bid (starry eyed), on loans of low credit quality,
which were clearly marked as such, but which are now not allowed to even list since lenders couldn't
control themselves (that sound familiar, macro?) and would often ignore risk, in pursuit of high return.
I know I certainly did, at times - I clearly remember lending $80 to "evildick66" an autofund at 29%...

So, I guess the takeaway is that "greed", as a contagion, was not limited to banks and/or wall street,
and that has impacted the bottom lines found at many such firms, just as it has w/P2P lender returns,
which is why you get things like new regulations for banks, and MUCH tighter credit qualifications @ P.

Though if you want to play the "big-sounding-bad-number" game, then the scale which "professionals"
have been working at, lately, offers "different" dollar-denominated loss numbers, since 11% of citibank
revolvings will lead you not with a puny sounding "$44.4 million" but with numbers more like "$X Billion".

(The same logic applies if you look at it in terms of "number of loans" that banks will be charging off...)
(If you assume that some % of borrowers will default, which is truth, the # of loans charged off rises.)

-t
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:37:31 pm by nonattender »
Nothing that I ever say is "professional advice" - principally, because I suffer from an infinitely inescapable prinicipal/agent problem, in that I am, in principle, always acting as my own agent.

Peer-to-Peer Lending & Personal Loan Information

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 03:39:55 pm »

I'll bet BOA & Citygroup sue their customers who fail to pay.

How's those Prosper lawsuits,NA?

Remember those? You have any new info from the inside?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

xraider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 06:16:04 pm »

Even though I haven't made a loan in almost 30 months, I STILL have new lates and chargeoffs.  MandMBoysFan should charge off tomorrow.  I have another loan with 5 payments to go which will go 30+ late in 2 days. 

na, yes, please share any information on what Prosper is doing to protect the lenders.  The best thing that happened to Prosper as far as lender protection is that word is out on CreditBoards that the cranky lenders on .org will chase them so CreditBoards participants should not seek loans on Prosper.  Prosper hasn't done a thing for lenders, and won't.  Caveat emptor doesn't work when Prosper actively increases the risk.
Prosper missed me.  They lifted my suspension a day early.

nonattender

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 08:34:38 pm »

Even though I haven't made a loan in almost 30 months, I STILL have new lates and chargeoffs.

Yes, this was my point exactly.  It is always a possibility that a particular loan will be late or default.
When that occurs, the loan status will be changed to "Late", and if it doesn't recover will charge off.

MandMBoysFan should charge off tomorrow.

Right, so, it was Late, and, since it stayed that way for too long, it's now being charged off.  Check.

I have another loan with 5 payments to go which will go 30+ late in 2 days.

So, you've got a loan that's made 31 payments and the borrower is now Late in making the payment.
Presumably, you broke even somewhere around several payments ago, so, worst case for you is that
the loan continues to be Late, and is eventually charged off, leaving you with your original principal -
plus some number of payments above principal, which would be called "profit".  Am I with you so far?

This is what I was trying to explain to someone in another thread, that, if a loan defaults, it matters
WHEN that loan defaults, in time, because each and every incoming payment makes a big difference.

So, while it might be in one sense "accurate" to say that X number of loans have defaulted or X% of
loans have defaulted, it does not paint a true picture of actual performance.  You've got a late loan,
that's no fun and it's not a nice feeling, but it happens [I pause to dial 911 because a couple of kids
just took out a fire hydrant in the middle of the intersection, airbags deployed but they are walking.]

Back later...  Fire station around the corner, so I didn't have to expose myself to liability, thank god.

But they look okay, and I want to see if the car floats away... :)

-t
Nothing that I ever say is "professional advice" - principally, because I suffer from an infinitely inescapable prinicipal/agent problem, in that I am, in principle, always acting as my own agent.

Peer-to-Peer Lending & Personal Loan Information

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 08:42:09 pm »

I was even before I got here.. My mattress outperforms Prosper Marketplace by over 20% on ROI
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up