Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member  (Read 5208 times)

SLN

• View Profile
    • Lend Academy
« on: November 08, 2010, 11:11:51 am »

I joined this forum a couple of weeks ago and have been browsing around since then. I have learned a great deal. I have been a Lending Club investor for about 18 months and a Prosper investor for just a couple of months.

There are a couple of things I am most curious about:
1. It seems that many long time forum members have a great deal of anger towards Prosper. I presume if you are on this forum that you are still interested in p2p lending - is that true?
2. Is this anger also directed at Lending Club?

In the interests of full disclosure I have a somewhat vested interest in this industry now. I recently purchased a p2p website/blog and will be relaunching it soon.

I look forward to continue learning from everyone here and I will be happy to give my 2c worth as well.

Cushie

• View Profile
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:32:53 am »

No comment on the above, but is SLN your initials?  They're mine so it definitely caught my eye.

The website you purchased...was it prosperbook.com? ;)

Welcome!

SLN

• View Profile
    • Lend Academy
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:40:37 am »

Cushie,

SLN stands for the web site I purchased: Social Lending Network (www.sociallending.net). I am in the process of a redesign and hope to relaunch in the next week or two.

wftrust

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 11:04:49 am »

Well I can only speak for myself.

I really do not have “anger” at Prosper. I attempted this social lending as an experiment to see if there might be some investing potential here. I even went so far as to give a couple of “loans” to people that I knew, by reading their info, that they would never pay it back. But I really felt they needed (and potentially deserved) a hand out, so it allowed me to do that and take a write off for the eventual loss.

However, I learned that Prospers execution of the platform left a lot to be desired. OK that is a huge understatement. Yes it was a new platform, but it seemed to me that their main emphasis was on the borrower and not on where the money was coming from, the lender, was misguided at best. So I would say that I experienced disappointment for a platform that seems to have lots of potential. Perhaps just the times are wrong for this to really be profitable for lenders.

So overall I got disenchanted with the platform in its entirety. I do not see where large amounts of money are going to be made by the lenders here. Yes they have some feel goods, but the time, effort, and worry needed to make a go of this is way too high for the return.

But I do think that Prosper will be buried by LC, their emphasis seems to be more well rounded.

Accordingly I did not go on to give LC a try… Just waiting for the last of the return of my funds invested three years ago, then off to the races.

SLN

• View Profile
    • Lend Academy
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 06:12:33 am »

Wftrust,

I appreciate your candid reply. I am a new Prosper investor, and while I found their system somewhat clunky, I will reserve judgment on them for now. It is good to hear an explanation of some of the problems people encountered.

With LC I have been very happy with the returns I have had over the last 18 months (around 8% focused on Grades A-C).

wftrust

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 12:20:36 pm »

I should be clear about my use of the word “platform”. It is not the user interface/system that was the main problem, even though there is some of that. It is the back office procedures and practices at Prosper itself (done in support of the platform) that failed.

- Lack of verification up front on all loans.

- Lack of collections activity of any note.

- Lack of follow through on meeting terms of the agreements that were made with the lenders. For example when the loans were to be turned over to collections and the process involved.

- The misleading marketing practices also left a bad taste in my mouth. Advertising high rates of return and low default rates etc.

Eventually the obvious abandonment of supporting and safeguarding the lenders investment was the final straw. After all, that is truly what Prosper is responsible for. The borrowers were reporting difficulty in making payments though the platform, trying to work out payment plans, updating the bank that the funds were being withdrawn from, even being notified when there was a problem to be addressed (remaining balances on account and the like at the end of term) and things of that ilk that made me say, enough. Not forgetting the lack of notification to the lender of the actions being taken on individual notes (transparency).

I would recomend keeping your lending volume low until you get 9-12 months into this platform. It seems to take about that long to really see how Prosper performs on the loans you make today. Even in the new 3.0 environment.

SLN

• View Profile
    • Lend Academy
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 03:18:19 pm »

I would recomend keeping your lending volume low until you get 9-12 months into this platform. It seems to take about that long to really see how Prosper performs on the loans you make today. Even in the new 3.0 environment.

Thanks for the clarification. I intend to heed your advice and move forward with Prosper slowly. I appreciate all the info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up