Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Prosper class action update (for lobby)  (Read 118674 times)

arebelspy

• View Profile
Re: Prosper class action update (for lobby)
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 11:57:01 am »

Hmm. Perhaps the notice going out will spark a reunion of sorts, with old prosper/Org lenders and borrowers stopping in to say hello.  That would be a good thing.

Greetings, friends.

ETA: Apparently my last login before this was Feb 09.  Time sure flies, cause it seems like just yesterday I was seeing all these familiar faces!  :D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:07:13 pm by arebelspy »

msava

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 11:59:03 am »

Many of my loans said BK charge-off, and many say in collections. Are we to believe Prosper is still trying to collect and will return some money to us? I thought I was completely out, but not if more money is being collected.
" Ten percent of what you eat feeds you, 90 percent feeds your doctor."

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 12:09:15 pm »

(channeling epictetus)
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2012, 12:35:54 pm »

Nothing for me.. Maybe suspended people don't get email.

No I got mine and urbi got his!

I got mine too. 

Beachey

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2012, 01:10:07 pm »

I got the email yesterday.

Question on this - What remedy have the plaintiffs asked for in this suit? Buy back all loans from the stated period or just loans that went bad? Since I ended up being positive and all my loans are from the stated period.  Selling all loans back (including interest?) would cost me money though just the loans that went bad would be a net gain?  Realizing what the plaintiffs ask for and what they get could be very different. And reading earlier, I also realize a Prosper bankruptcy would likely mean I would see nothing.

xraider

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2012, 01:14:09 pm »

Many of my loans said BK charge-off, and many say in collections. Are we to believe Prosper is still trying to collect and will return some money to us? I thought I was completely out, but not if more money is being collected.

At this point, MsA, I'd ask Prosper the status of every BK loan not yet discharged.  You never know if Prosper failed to file a proof of claim.....

The ONLY loan I've received a dime on in 12 months is the one where Prosper failed to file a proof of claim in BK so MY experience is that collections is no more effective now than it was 5 years ago.
Prosper missed me.  They lifted my suspension a day early.

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2012, 01:16:05 pm »

I haven't received one but I didn't change my email address until a few days ago (didn't realize it hadn't been changed). I figure since it says to do nothing if you want to stay in, they'll have the correct address for the next mailing.
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2012, 01:19:02 pm »

I got the email yesterday.

Question on this - What remedy have the plaintiffs asked for in this suit? Buy back all loans from the stated period or just loans that went bad? Since I ended up being positive and all my loans are from the stated period.  Selling all loans back (including interest?) would cost me money though just the loans that went bad would be a net gain?  Realizing what the plaintiffs ask for and what they get could be very different. And reading earlier, I also realize a Prosper bankruptcy would likely mean I would see nothing.

You can find the long notice here:
http://prosperclassaction.com/sites/default/files/longnotice.pdf

and you can read the operative third amended complaint here:
http://www.prosperclassaction.com/sites/default/files/complaint.pdf
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2012, 01:29:33 pm »

Question on this - What remedy have the plaintiffs asked for in this suit? Buy back all loans from the stated period or just loans that went bad? Since I ended up being positive and all my loans are from the stated period.  Selling all loans back (including interest?) would cost me money though just the loans that went bad would be a net gain?  Realizing what the plaintiffs ask for and what they get could be very different.

IMHO, the proper remedy would be to allow every lender to choose which of their P1 loans they want to rescind and force Prosper to repurchase (for the remaining principal plus interest), only those loans.  The reason I think that is the proper remedy, is that it appears that selling an unregistered security makes the sale voidable, but not void.  That means that the buyer gets to choose, on a purchase by purchase basis, whether to void each sale.  I see no good reason to require lenders to choose "all or nothing," because each loan purchase was a separate transaction.  

And reading earlier, I also realize a Prosper bankruptcy would likely mean I would see nothing.

Not necessarily, for at least two reasons.  First, Prosper has assets.  They have some VC cash in the bank, which would clearly be reachable by prevailing class members.  And Prosper also has an enormous pool of P3 loans, which (unlike P1 loans, which were actually owned by lenders) are all owned by Prosper.  P3 "lenders" are basically unsecured creditors of Prosper, just like a victorious class would be.  So all the incoming loan payments should probably be divided on a pro rata basis between ALL of Prosper's unsecured creditors.  

Second, Prosper is not the only defendant in the class action lawsuit -- a number of individuals have been named as defendants, including a variety of Prosper's officers and directors (some of whom are very wealthy).  Some of those individual defendants already tried to get themselves dismissed from the case, but the California Court of Appeal ruled against them.  

As always, nothing in this post (or any other post) should be construed as legal advice -- it is just an interesting internet discussion.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:51:50 pm by ira01 »

xraider

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2012, 01:55:46 pm »

With Ira.  And, it's no secret that I think Prosper has this coming.... And more.
Prosper missed me.  They lifted my suspension a day early.

Beachey

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2012, 03:20:43 pm »

Question on this - What remedy have the plaintiffs asked for in this suit? Buy back all loans from the stated period or just loans that went bad? Since I ended up being positive and all my loans are from the stated period.  Selling all loans back (including interest?) would cost me money though just the loans that went bad would be a net gain?  Realizing what the plaintiffs ask for and what they get could be very different.

IMHO, the proper remedy would be to allow every lender to choose which of their P1 loans they want to rescind and force Prosper to repurchase (for the remaining principal plus interest), only those loans.  The reason I think that is the proper remedy, is that it appears that selling an unregistered security makes the sale voidable, but not void.  That means that the buyer gets to choose, on a purchase by purchase basis, whether to void each sale.  I see no good reason to require lenders to choose "all or nothing," because each loan purchase was a separate transaction.  

And reading earlier, I also realize a Prosper bankruptcy would likely mean I would see nothing.

Not necessarily, for at least two reasons.  First, Prosper has assets.  They have some VC cash in the bank, which would clearly be reachable by prevailing class members.  And Prosper also has an enormous pool of P3 loans, which (unlike P1 loans, which were actually owned by lenders) are all owned by Prosper.  P3 "lenders" are basically unsecured creditors of Prosper, just like a victorious class would be.  So all the incoming loan payments should probably be divided on a pro rata basis between ALL of Prosper's unsecured creditors.  

Second, Prosper is not the only defendant in the class action lawsuit -- a number of individuals have been named as defendants, including a variety of Prosper's officers and directors (some of whom are very wealthy).  Some of those individual defendants already tried to get themselves dismissed from the case, but the California Court of Appeal ruled against them.  

As always, nothing in this post (or any other post) should be construed as legal advice -- it is just an interesting internet discussion.

Thanks Ira.

God-Father

• Pay up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2012, 10:05:09 pm »

Got mine.

red12049

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2012, 10:12:43 pm »

“In times of change the learners will inherit the earth, while the knowers will find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. ”- Eric Hoffer

Hillary, in most cases, is not really "lying" -- she is applying her lawyerly instinct to parse words very finely, which sometimes seems to non-lawyers to be a lie, but actually isn't.

"The fundamental cause of trouble is that the stupid are cocksure, while the intelligent are full of doubt."  Bertrand Russell

Cushie

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2012, 11:00:17 pm »

Nothing here, but not sure if I would with only one loan (paid).

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2012, 11:11:47 pm »

Nothing here, but not sure if I would with only one loan (paid).

Do you qualify under this definition:

All persons who purchased loan notes through Prosper’s loan underwriting and sales marketplace at www.prosper.com during the period from January 1, 2006 through October 14, 2008, excluding Defendants, their employees, and members of Defendants’ families (the “Class”).

If you do, then the number of loans is irrelevant
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Up