Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: GeorgeM - long time no see  (Read 105651 times)

GeorgeM

• View Profile
GeorgeM - long time no see
« on: August 26, 2022, 12:31:11 am »

It's been about a decade since I checked in on y'all. Just thought I'd drop back in and see how everyone is faring.

I have a house now (gave up on waiting for the bubble to burst). Working with the US Census & doing estate sales + still suing telemarketers (have collected >$300,000 by now). Started my own production company to get a few plays I wrote staged - we're getting ready to do our first revival in October at 222 MainStage in Irving. My son just started Kindergarten.

I'm still holding course on politics left of center. Passions include coin collecting, gardening, cooking, travel, craft beer, & sci-fi/horror.

What have I missed?

alexpkeaton

• View Profile
Re: GeorgeM - long time no see
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 10:13:31 am »

It's been about a decade since I checked in on y'all. Just thought I'd drop back in and see how everyone is faring.

It can't have been that long, could it?

cubbiesnextyr

• Suspended since 12/13/07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 10:28:09 am »

I have a house now (gave up on waiting for the bubble to burst). Working with the US Census & doing estate sales + still suing telemarketers (have collected >$300,000 by now). Started my own production company to get a few plays I wrote staged - we're getting ready to do our first revival in October at 222 MainStage in Irving. My son just started Kindergarten.

I'm still holding course on politics left of center. Passions include coin collecting, gardening, cooking, travel, craft beer, & sci-fi/horror.

What have I missed?

Welcome back.  It's roughly the same here, so you really didn't miss much.  Members have come and gone, MsAva passed away.  Poke around a bit and you'll see it's like a big extended family Thanksgiving every day here, lots of arguing about the same stuff.

loanuniverse

• View Profile
    • Commercial loan website
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 10:29:16 am »

Welcome back GeorgeM
"And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done."

yankeefan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 11:10:53 am »

Welcome back.

moneybaron

• OPM Holdings
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 11:52:39 am »

It can't have been that long, could it?

https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=24295.msg631767;#msg631767
9/2/2015.
The truth is, the game was rigged from the start.  I got two words for that: Who cares?

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 12:01:23 pm »

Wow, can't believe it's been that long!  Welcome back!

Wow, sounds like you're doing great!  Great job on sticking it to those bastard telemarketers!  Congrats on the kid!  My oldest turns 21 on Sunday, and my youngest turns 19 a week later. 

What's the revival of?
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

bjjb99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 12:45:13 pm »

Welcome back, bane of telemarketers!

In the time you've been gone, I've seen a significant uptick in the type of robocall where an automated voice says something like "we have an important message for you, press 1 to continue".  How do you handle those sorts of calls?

mothandrust

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 11:45:50 pm »

still suing telemarketers (have collected >$300,000 by now)

That gets you an official: Wow, just wow.

Enjoy those kindergarten years!  Take pictures and notes, if only to blackmail them later.

Used to think my kid had rocks for brains, and now at 24 he's a geologist.
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin

Roadhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2022, 07:52:35 am »

Long time!  Welcome back!

moneybaron

• OPM Holdings
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 08:47:24 am »

and now at 24 he's a geologist.

Wait until he finds sex rocks...!
The truth is, the game was rigged from the start.  I got two words for that: Who cares?

GeorgeM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2022, 12:13:47 am »

Wow, can't believe it's been that long!  Welcome back!

Wow, sounds like you're doing great!  Great job on sticking it to those bastard telemarketers!  Congrats on the kid!  My oldest turns 21 on Sunday, and my youngest turns 19 a week later. 

What's the revival of?

A play I wrote a few years ago titled Children of the Night: http://proststageproduction.com/2022/05/06/children-of-the-night-synopsis/

Announcing the cast tomorrow morning. Somehow, in writing the cast announcement, I've buggered up the WordPress post sorting system on the website. It should be showing the newest posts at the top of the page, but seems to be sorting by some other system that I can't spot the pattern behind. Oh well - I'll try and figure it out when I'm better rested.

GeorgeM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2022, 12:18:44 am »

Welcome back, bane of telemarketers!

In the time you've been gone, I've seen a significant uptick in the type of robocall where an automated voice says something like "we have an important message for you, press 1 to continue".  How do you handle those sorts of calls?

I press 1, and then hear out what they have to say. I've also noticed an uptick in the number of "connection in waiting" calls; it seems to be connected in some way to how call centers are managing to put out 4 or 5 active lines per person actually placing the calls. Again, its an illegal wrinkle of how they're making the calls, but until you can identify the caller, what can you do?

I caught one of the companies selling "extended auto warranties" after "press[ing] 1 for more information". Heck, I caught them twice - they called back on my landline a few weeks later!

GeorgeM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2022, 12:20:03 am »

Thank you all. I had forgotten some of the fun threads here until I started reviewing. Sad to hear about MsAva - what happened?

cubbiesnextyr

• Suspended since 12/13/07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2022, 11:10:16 am »

Thank you all. I had forgotten some of the fun threads here until I started reviewing. Sad to hear about MsAva - what happened?

We're not sure.  We know she was in the hospital for a bit and then passed.  She was not young and had some health issues, so not a huge surprise but sad nonetheless.  It was actually quite challenging to determine if she actually had died or if she was just sick and not online.  I believe someone eventually connected to a cousin via FB and got confirmation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up