Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Receive An Email From Prosper Threatening Suspension?  (Read 98970 times)

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
Re: Receive An Email From Prosper Threatening Suspension?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 02:57:46 pm »

Prosper recently removed the content from your member page.  We recognize that you may have been prompted by an unauthorized third party site or by other Prosper members to do this.  We are also aware that you may not have realized that represents a very real security risk and a policy violation.

So now it's DANGEROUS to be a memeber of prospers.org???

Keep it up, Prosper...

Caladia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 03:02:19 pm »

Propsper deleted my description as well (and I only had my prospers.org screen name listed-- no link). I e-mailed them to ask what was up, and this is the response I received:

Prosper recently removed the content from your member page.  We recognize that you may have been prompted by an unauthorized third party site or by other Prosper members to do this.  We are also aware that you may not have realized that represents a very real security risk and a policy violation.

This policy exists for the safety of both you and other members.

Your Prosper account contains sensitive financial information.  Providing your Prosper screen name, email, and possibly your password represents a risk to the safety of your Prosper account.  You should never provide this information to anyone. 

By providing links and references on your member page to websites that gather such information you encourage other users to do the same thus creating increased risk. 

In order to create a safe and trusted marketplace it is important that all members abide by the Prosper policies.

Oh, they've changed it to be more specific.  You know, the more I look at that text the more it angrifies me.  (Yes I know angrify is not a word but "angers" didn't quite do it for me!)

Honestly, Prosper.  "Unauthorized third party site"?  That is wrong on so many levels.  First of all, I hate to break it to you, but you don't get to say what forums on the internet are "authorized" or not.  Second, this attempt at a negative spin makes no sense considering that your own employees are *members* here.  One of your founders (apparently the person who has been going in and deleting people's profiles, no less) used to MAINTAIN a BLOG here!  "Unauthorized."  WhatEVER.  ::)

Then there's this strange attempt to frighten people who aren't all that internet-savvy.  (I say that because those who are internet-savvy wouldn't be taken in by this nonsense.) 

Providing your Prosper screen name, email, and possibly your password represents a risk to the safety of your Prosper account.

Again, wrong on so many levels.  First, it reads to me as a vicious, unsubstantiated  accusation directed specifically at Ferrix, since they didn't delete links to other third-party sites, just this one.  They know who Ferrix is.  They know how to get in touch with him, they know he's not out to steal anybody's identity.   >:(  Second, .org does not ask for your Prosper password.  In fact, IIRC, when I signed up I was specifically told to choose a *different* password (which is something everybody should know to do anyway-- you should always vary the passwords you use on the internet).  So, there is no security risk to be concerned about, and again, this notice Prosper is sending out is pure malicious nonsense. 

You know, I'm sad to see everything that's been happening lately, and still hope (irrationally, I know) Prosper can somehow re-establish the ties it had with the community in the beginning.  I just do not understand the way the Prosper personnel are behaving now.  I've seen some speculation that something is happening behind the scenes that is prompting these actions.  Maybe that's it.  But they're going down the wrong road here and it's damaging everybody:  Prosper itself, the lenders, the borrowers, the people who could have benefited from a successful, vibrant Prosper... everybody.

Accept the ease with which it can be done.

LoanChimp

• LC - Punk Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 03:07:31 pm »

Oh, they've changed it to be more specific. 

Interesting how the message has evolved...

Chamatrain

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 03:11:34 pm »

FUD

Caladia

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 03:13:02 pm »

Accept the ease with which it can be done.

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 03:15:02 pm »

someone at prosper is a politician .. what's next, commercials with wolves?
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

JammingJAY

• Y35 \|/3 ÇÅ[/]'7!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 03:19:14 pm »

I'd rather trust .org with my password than prosper with my money.
The old rule has changed: it seems that people now do have a right not only to their own opinions, but to their own facts.

I'm now trysexual. The GLBT folks are so behind (no pun).

Mark12547

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 03:22:11 pm »

I learned a whole lot more about people's PII from Prosper.com than I have from this site. If you ask someone to be your "friend" so you can endorse the listing, the actual first and last names are disclosed by Prosper.

Here, all we know about each other are our member names if we are authorized for the Verified Lender section, which we already knew from Prosper.com and the third party data sites. Ferrix might or might not learn people's email addresses, but nothing says that is a real email after the verification process--it's just a way to reduce the number of spambots registering and posting on the site. Unless someone discloses PII, we don't have a way of tying an id to an actual first and last name or to a street address, let alone social security numbers or other unique identifiers. And if someone doesn't apply for entry into the Verified Lenders section, we don't even know if their id here matches their Prosper id.

Proser Marketplace, Inc., is acting paranoid. How many people actually looked at people's member pages? Having references to prospers.org on people's member pages was probably very low exposure. But thanks to these purges, some common search terms will find us on the first page of Google and Yahoo search results, something that wasn't true just two days ago, give this site far more exposure than when Prosper acted reasonably-- terms like "Prosper forums" will find this site.

It wouldn't surprise me if the next step Prosper takes is to stop the distribution of data to the third-party data sites. They are acting paranoid, but the more pressure they apply, the more they force those of us with negative information to make it even more public. I don't see this ending well for Prosper Marketplace, Inc.
Free! I am free from Prosper!

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 03:23:14 pm »

I dont think prosper is being paranoid (about safety). I think they are lying in order to undermine this website.

you're

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 03:47:47 pm »

It wouldn't surprise me if the next step Prosper takes is to stop the distribution of data to the third-party data sites. They are acting paranoid, but the more pressure they apply, the more they force those of us with negative information to make it even more public. I don't see this ending well for Prosper Marketplace, Inc.

Unfortunately, I think you are absolutely correct.  From Prosper's increasingly paranoid siege mentality POV, it is undoubtedly a no-brainer to keep new lenders from learning things such as that the median projected ROI for ALL Prosper lenders with a moderately seasoned portfolio (>20 loans and >6 month average loan age) is a mere 5.16% as of today.  After subtracting Prosper's servicing fee, that is less than you can get on an FDIC-insured, fully liquid savings account at E-Loan, which has zero risk, better tax treatment, and no time investment required.  Once Prosper cuts off the data feed, we won't be able to know things like that any longer, making it impossible to refute Prosper's misleading advertisements. 

Staneslav

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 03:48:27 pm »

a
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:32:59 pm by Staneslav »
Look to my coming, at first light, on the day of the Cub's mathematical elimination. At dawn, look to the NL Central.
My apologies to Tolkien.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 03:49:27 pm »

Unfortunately, I think you are absolutely correct.  From Prosper's increasingly paranoid siege mentality POV, it is undoubtedly a no-brainer to keep new lenders from learning things such as that the median projected ROI for ALL Prosper lenders with a moderately seasoned portfolio (>20 loans and >6 month average loan age) is a mere 5.16% as of today.  After subtracting Prosper's servicing fee, that is less than you can get on an FDIC-insured, fully liquid savings account at E-Loan, which has zero risk, better tax treatment, and no time investment required.  Once Prosper cuts off the data feed, we won't be able to know things like that any longer, making it impossible to refute Prosper's misleading advertisements. 

At that point, Prosper is starting to feel a bit like a Ponzi.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 04:09:09 pm »

I'd rather trust .org with my password than prosper with my money.

:D :D :D

+1
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 04:35:51 pm »

So now it's DANGEROUS to be a memeber of prospers.org???

Keep it up, Prosper...

That's right Prosper, I AM dangerous!

Too bad Prosper's ego is writing checks its borrowers can't cash!  ;D

Staneslav

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 04:39:58 pm »

a
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:32:49 pm by Staneslav »
Look to my coming, at first light, on the day of the Cub's mathematical elimination. At dawn, look to the NL Central.
My apologies to Tolkien.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up