News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Poll

Choose one:

I regularly transfer funds in to Prosper and bid on listings
- 13 (9.7%)
I sometimes transfer funds into Prosper to bid on specific listings
- 6 (4.5%)
I reinvest repayments in new listings but don't transfer any new funds into Prosper
- 15 (11.2%)
I mostly withdraw funds from Prosper but bid on occasional listings
- 18 (13.4%)
I am withdrawing all funds from Prosper
- 82 (61.2%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lender sentiment - January 2008  (Read 40066 times)

HollowOak

• View Profile
Re: Lender sentiment - January 2008
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 08:08:32 pm »

Accidentally modified by HollowOak. The Modify and Quote buttons are very close to one another. My apologies.

That impulse to moderate is proving hard to resist, eh?  ;)

Aided by the fact that the buttons move depending on which forum I view. The life of a moderator is never easy. ;)
Old Stump
My blog

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
Re: Lender sentiment
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 08:51:25 pm »

Screw it.  I'm so turned-off by Prosper now, I think I need to start weaning myself from .org too, little by little.  It's over, at least for me.  I feel a little sad about that, but I'll manage just fine...

Frowny face.  I am much more interested in THIS community than Prosper any more.  But I still really want PMI to improve and for some more positive lenders to arrive.  Or maybe we'll all descend on Lendingclub or something.  Won't they love that.

Oh well, if everyone eventually goes away then this site will become a (de facto) archive I guess, a ghost town.  Nothing lasts forever I suppose.  Dammit now I'm depressed.

Sorry ferrix, didn't mean to depress you... ;)

prospers.org is a fine site, and I'm grateful it is here.  But as more time passes, I have less and less to say about Prosper or p2p lending... At some point, one has to admit that it's time to move on.  I'm still tuning in, because I just have to see how the story ends.  And, this has become a central hub for keeping in touch with people I met through Prosper; it'll always serve that useful purpose.  But the longer it has been since I lent, the more I wonder why I'm here...  Maybe it could also develeop into a cross-platform p2p hub, but by then it will have become an alien landscape...

I've actually been feeling kind of wistful and nostalgic for Prosper 2006 this week; not sure why.  Except that it used to be something I enjoyed, and I looked forward to meeting others who enjoyed it.  I talked well into the wee hours of the night in person with some people here many times, when we were still pumped on Prosper, talking strategy, talking future, talking gossip.  I miss that, but just like high school, or my first lover, or my vacation in Guam that magical summer of '92... it's gone, and ain't coming back...

ccat

• View Profile
Re: Lender sentiment
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2008, 10:06:47 pm »

... I miss that, but just like high school, or,  my first lover, or my vacation in Guam that magical summer of '92... it's gone, and ain't coming back...
If you saw her you might be grateful  ;D :o :D

otacon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 10:48:14 am »

Hands up if you know what Steve Kinzler's Internet Oracle was.
* zcommodore quietly raises his hand.
* NewHorizon , emboldened by zcomm's bravery, quietly raises hand.

* otacon , also aware it was the Usenet Oracle, also raises his hand.  Also knows people who participated  :ninja:

Cheerful_Lender

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 11:18:17 am »

* otacon , also aware it was the Usenet Oracle, also raises his hand.  Also knows people who participated  :ninja:
* Cheerful_Lender, has no idea what you guys are talking about and suddenly feels uncomfortable in this room :ninja:

Mark12547

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 02:13:47 pm »

* Cheerful_Lender, has no idea what you guys are talking about and suddenly feels uncomfortable in this room :ninja:
I recall there was an Oracle in reference to something on the Internet, but hadn't heard about it for a very long time. This isn't to be confused with the Oracle of Omaha or the Oracle of Delphi.

Google seems to be a good friend at finding obscure things, if you know what to look for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Oracle
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 02:16:11 pm by Mark12547 »
Free! I am free from Prosper!

cubbiesnextyr

• Suspended since 12/13/07
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 02:17:22 pm »

http://cgi.cs.indiana.edu/~oracle/index.cgi

Indiana, our Indiana
Indiana we're all for you...

I had no idea of this Oracle's existence, even cooler to see it's from my Alma Mater...

sreeb

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 04:15:29 pm »

I occasionally add funds to bid on general listings.  This is a recent change as I have become more confident in my current bidding criteria.  At the moment I'm having trouble placing money do to a shortage of qualifying loans and being underbid though.

Ed

HollowOak

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2008, 12:47:45 pm »

I am pleasantly surprised by the extremely unexpectedly high number of votes this poll received. It seems to indicate that we survived with relatively little loss of members.

No, let me say that a different way. On .com I could get about 180 voters to vote in a similar poll. Here we have already got 114. That's about a 60 loss and I thought .com was far more popular. Seems a good portion of the readership is intact.
Old Stump
My blog

HollowOak

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2008, 10:41:26 pm »

*bump* and a reminder that voting is still open.
Old Stump
My blog

mothandrust

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2008, 04:38:11 am »

Since I started lending in March 2007, I have seen Prosper make many anti-lender changes and take management action that I believe increases the risks in lending.  How much is impossible to quantify, but I'm throwing out 600bp as the premium I expect for not knowing a borrower's City, not having a GL vet a loan, PII issues, etc. 

Since November, rates have moves up 200bp for A-E grades, so there is about 400bp left to go.  So I will withdraw funds and earn interest on it until it readjusts.

I am a little worried that the flattening of new loans will make it hard to attract new VC capital; I have no idea what Prosper's "burn rate" is of what debt load they already carry.  If only jwitchel would post this on his blog...
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up