Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Navy has serious consequences for failing to pay debts  (Read 7320 times)

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
The Navy has serious consequences for failing to pay debts
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:49:27 pm »

http://www.prosper.com/lend/listing.aspx?listingID=208488
(4+ months late, 0/36 payments made)

How accurate is this statement and can this be used as an additional avenue during the collections process?
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

mothandrust

• View Profile
Re: The Navy has serious consequences for failing to pay debts
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:09:00 pm »

This borrower isn't getting his wages garnished after he racked up 48 delinquencies in the past 7 years, nor does he seem to being disciplined over the 27 current DQ's on his listing.

Don't hold your breath that his CO is going to have him peel potatoes or clean latrines because he's late on his Prosper loan.

When I was new to Prosper, I assumed that "Groups" were based on the model of Joe the Volunteer Firefighter.  I envisioned that if Joe were to fall behind on his payments, the firehouse captain would take him behind the woodshed and say, "People depend on firefighters, Joe.  You can't be a firefighter if you're not dependable.  Now go bring your Prosper loan current or clean out your locker." 

And Joe, whose life's passion is saving lives as a volunteer firefighter, would bust his hump to bring his Prosper loan current.

I soon found out that NO GROUP on Prosper worked this way.  Someone could be an Eagle Scout, Rotarian, NRA member, Presbyterian, etc. and default on his loan and there was never any "real world" consequence like having his Eagle Scout award revoked or being excommunicated from his church. 

Not to say one couldn't build a group around such a model, but this was one of the many novel ideas for groups that no one was willing to implement.
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin

Nora_Lenderbee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 12:14:17 am »

What shall we do with a deadbeat sailor,
What shall we do with a deadbeat sailor,
What shall we do with a deadbeat sailor
Early in the morning?

Tie him to the scuppers with a hosepipe on him,
Early in the morning.

Put him in the longboat till he's sober . . .

Shave his belly with a rusty razor . . .

Put him in bed with a Spanish virgin . . .
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 12:24:58 am by Nora_Lenderbee »

Gogmagog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 02:03:43 am »

The penalties for having bad credit apply mostly to security clearances.   If you are a "normal" seamen, airman, or grunt, you won't be affected much.

Greebo

• Fight Online Censorship
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 10:55:21 am »

Lenders who aren't collecting from the military need to know how to report the bad debt TO the defaulter's CO.

I'll bet most don't.

If you really want change...vote 3rd party.

cubbiesnextyr

• Suspended since 12/13/07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:13:27 am »

Lenders who aren't collecting from the military need to know how to report the bad debt TO the defaulter's CO.

I'll bet most don't.

I don't believe your legally allowed to, they have laws you know.

Greebo

• Fight Online Censorship
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 11:16:51 am »

I'll bet most don't.

I don't know about that.  One of the things I had learned about in my pursuit landlord status is that military rentals are very solid because if the tenant doesn't get you the rent, you can call the CO's office and count on intervention.

If you really want change...vote 3rd party.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 03:27:01 pm »

I'll bet most don't.

The important question in the current context is whether PROSPER contacts the delinquen't military borrower's CO.  I hypothesize that they do not, as they take almost no appropriate actions against delinquent borrowers, so why should this situation be any different?

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 06:10:45 pm »

I'll bet most don't.

And what laws would those be?  While such an action would violate Prosper's TOS, I'm not sure what laws it would violate.  It isn't defamation, because it is true.  It wouldn't violate the FDCPA, because lenders are not debt collectors.  Some states may have FDCPA analogs that apply more broadly, but that would probably only apply to lenders in those states.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

cubbiesnextyr

• Suspended since 12/13/07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 06:26:21 pm »

I'll bet most don't.

And what laws would those be?  While such an action would violate Prosper's TOS, I'm not sure what laws it would violate.  It isn't defamation, because it is true.  It wouldn't violate the FDCPA, because lenders are not debt collectors.  Some states may have FDCPA analogs that apply more broadly, but that would probably only apply to lenders in those states.

I thought the FDCPA would apply, but I guess not.  It sure would be nice if Prosper started calling CO's (CO's love to get these type of calls).

traveler505

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 06:38:08 pm »

I'll bet most don't.

I thought the FDCPA would apply, but I guess not.  It sure would be nice if Prosper started calling CO's (CO's love to get these type of calls).

It would apply if AmSher made the call.  IMO Prosper is not restricted by the FDCPA.  There used to be long debates about whether the lenders are; I don't think we are. 

BTW (@ Ira) -- I think the applicability of state laws would generally be determined by the location of the borrower, not the lender. 
"Trav, you can always take up another hobby..." -- BigGulp

Now blogging at http://blog.traveler505.com, home of the MNH Reports and other commentary on Prosper.com and P2P lending in general.

Need Help with Credit Repair & Rebuilding?  Try CreditBoards.com.

mothandrust

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 10:15:24 pm »

Yet another problem that could be solved by Verified Bidding Endorsements.

There are 106 military-based groups on Prosper and not one of them requires the borrower to get his CO (or even anyone in his unit) to endorse and personally bid on the loan.
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin

Loan_shark_74

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 10:32:11 pm »

You do face penalties in the armed forces for failing to pay your debts. It is currently a major problem in the military. Pay Day loans are the main culprit. Soldiers do face demotions and/or discharges for not being honorable with their debts. I do not know the steps involved in notifying the military though.

misssalaska2000

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 10:27:41 pm »

I thought I watched something on TV (the most reliable source of info, of course) about how there was a problem with debt and sending soldiers (or sailors, pilots, etc) to Iraq.  Those who have a HUGE amount of debt are being held back from their groups (teams?  comrades?  I have zero understanding of military lingo) because they are at risk for accepting bribes overseas.

Can someone (more knowledgeable than myself, of course) expand upon this?  It seems that this would apply to many of today's soldiers given that consumer debt is at an all time high.

One would also think that if this is a requirement, then credit checks would be run on every soldier before departing to the middle east, no?

DakotahFury

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 09:02:36 am »

I thought I watched something on TV (the most reliable source of info, of course) about how there was a problem with debt and sending soldiers (or sailors, pilots, etc) to Iraq.  Those who have a HUGE amount of debt are being held back from their groups (teams?  comrades?  I have zero understanding of military lingo) because they are at risk for accepting bribes overseas.

Can someone (more knowledgeable than myself, of course) expand upon this?  It seems that this would apply to many of today's soldiers given that consumer debt is at an all time high.

One would also think that if this is a requirement, then credit checks would be run on every soldier before departing to the middle east, no?
missalaska...
I personally haven't heard any stories about people being held-back specifically because of debt. It is a possibility, though. There are many examples, however, of people who can't deploy because they can't receive/maintain a security clearance (as was mentioned earlier by Gog). Reason being...When a security-clearance is processed for someone, one of the clearance-granting agencies initiates a background investigation on the person...including a credit-check. Depending on the level of debt in relation to their income, and the lack of repayment effort...a clearance can/will be denied.

Clearances will be denied not only because they pose a threat to sell secrets, but because a person who is irresponsible with money is likely to be also irresponsible with secrets. They are more likely to leak secrets accidently.

And, yes, every deployment order I have ever seen requires some sort of a security clearance... Be it Secret, Top Secret, or Top Secret X/Y/Z...if you can't get any of them...you're probably not going to deploy.
"If you are up-to-date on your vaccines today, and you avail yourself of the treatments, your chances of dying COVID are vanishingly rare and certainly much lower than your risk of getting into trouble with the flu," Jha (White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator) told NPR.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up