Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The loan that made me quit Prosper is now 3 months late  (Read 9625 times)

Risk_Reward

• [quote author=ira01 link=topic=29057.msg527926#msg
    • View Profile
The loan that made me quit Prosper is now 3 months late
« on: March 28, 2008, 03:42:22 pm »

Recent discussions of Prospers poor business practices got me thinking about the final straw that made me quit bidding on Prosper.  The loan in question http://www.prosper.com/lend/listing.aspx?listingID=142814 is now 3 months late. 

You can read about my issues with the loan and one of the hottest threads on the original Prosper forums here http://www.prosperreport.com/prosper/forums/archive/threads/2/6/5/26572.0.HTM

Funny I haven't thought about that issue in months.  Guess, I have moved past caring about Prosper.  I only invested $700, so I sometimes go months without looking at my account.  I was a lender for only about a month when I became fed up and wrote this post. 

It is sad to see such an interesting idea dying because of mismanagement.  It would have been interesting to see if a competent management team could have made it viable.
Real libertarian

Mtnchick

• View Profile
Re: The loan that made me quit Prosper is now 3 months late
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 03:46:40 pm »

There are several of the Nigerian wife scams that have funded and become a loan too. P-----r just doesn't care. The employees recent bidding on a questionable loan shows me that for people who handle money for a living, I REALLY don't want them handling mine. :ninja:
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

Risk_Reward

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 03:54:48 pm »

There are several of the Nigerian wife scams that have funded and become a loan too. P-----r just doesn't care. The employees recent bidding on a questionable loan shows me that for people who handle money for a living, I REALLY don't want them handling mine. :ninja:

Amen.  Every time an interesting loan comes up, I think about who is responsible for managing the transaction and I step away from the keyboard.
Real libertarian

cubbiesnextyr

• Suspended since 12/13/07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 04:04:30 pm »

Recent discussions of Prospers poor business practices got me thinking about the final straw that made me quit bidding on Prosper.  The loan in question http://www.prosper.com/lend/listing.aspx?listingID=142814 is now 3 months late. 

You can read about my issues with the loan and one of the hottest threads on the original Prosper forums here http://www.prosperreport.com/prosper/forums/archive/threads/2/6/5/26572.0.HTM

Funny I haven't thought about that issue in months.  Guess, I have moved past caring about Prosper.  I only invested $700, so I sometimes go months without looking at my account.  I was a lender for only about a month when I became fed up and wrote this post. 

It is sad to see such an interesting idea dying because of mismanagement.  It would have been interesting to see if a competent management team could have made it viable.

I can't believe it's ONLY 3 months late.  I'd have thought it defaulted a long time ago...

Risk_Reward

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 04:07:07 pm »

I think they kept it current because of all the attention.  Now that you say that, I remember that the group leader promised someone that he would make the payments if the borrower didn't.  Anyone want to follow up on that?
Real libertarian

NewHorizon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 04:50:10 pm »

...I remember that the group leader promised someone that he would make the payments if the borrower didn't.  Anyone want to follow up on that?

FWIW, that promise is here:
http://www.prosperreport.com/prosper/forums/archive/threads/2/6/6/26638.0.htm#post324193

mjerryfirst

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 08:15:15 pm »

Even DakotahFury would concur that you are a bozo for bidding on that loan
Those who prudently pick borrowers don't need to complain and post about lates, collections and defaults.

DakotahFury

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 08:16:51 pm »

It's Friday evening, Jerry...no date?
"If you are up-to-date on your vaccines today, and you avail yourself of the treatments, your chances of dying COVID are vanishingly rare and certainly much lower than your risk of getting into trouble with the flu," Jha (White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator) told NPR.

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 08:17:34 pm »

Boy, I actually heard the whooshing sound as the whole point of this went over your head.

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 08:23:02 pm »

On one hand, Prosper asserts that the narrative is not part of the loan application.  On the other hand, Prosper used to suspend borrowers who made offers of additional compensation as part of their narrative.

Seems to me that they can't have it both ways.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 08:25:30 pm »

On one hand, Prosper asserts that the narrative is not part of the loan application.  On the other hand, Prosper used to suspend borrowers who made offers of additional compensation as part of their narrative.

Hell, they suspended someone for having .org in the Q&A section of their loan but are bidding on a loan that did the same.  :D :D :D

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 08:38:10 pm »

By taking action based on selected narratives - and not always when reported - haven't they implicitly suggested that the narrative is part of the loan application?  In that event, how can they think that they're not responsible for veryifying items as part of the PFV - especially when they have received multiple reports outlining the fraudulent and/or inaccurate information presented to lenders?

In any event, could any suits Prosper bring (ha-ha!) also address fraudulent loan app?
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 09:29:57 pm »

I'm not aware of Prosper ever having stated that the narrative is not part of the loan application.  Rather, Prosper simply states that they do not verify the information contained therein.  Those are two very different (and not contradictory, IMHO) things.  I have stated before that I think there is nothing wrong with Prosper clearly telling lenders that in PFV it only verifies identity, employment, income, and bank account (did I miss anything?).  That does NOT mean that a borrowers statements in the narrative are not part of the loan application, and does not mean that it wouldn't be fraud for a borrower to make material misrepresentations with the intent to deceive in the narrative.  It just means it is less likely they would be caught.  However, I do think that Prosper has a duty to respond in an appropriate manner when lenders notify them of fraudulent statements in the narrative. 
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

mothandrust

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 02:58:33 am »

Why so glum?  3 months late is a good thing--when the lottery payments come in, lenders will get late fees on top of the extra 30% they were promised.
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin

Risk_Reward

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 11:29:46 am »

I have stated before that I think there is nothing wrong with Prosper clearly telling lenders that in PFV it only verifies identity, employment, income, and bank account (did I miss anything?). 

Prosper also has said that they don't verify any of that information either.  Basically, you are lending to an anonymous person who created a listing and gained access to a bank account.  Beyond that, you don't know if any of the rest is true. 
Real libertarian
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up