Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tuesday Morning Epiphany (Subtitle: "Regulation is for Suckers")  (Read 1910 times)

nonattender

• View Profile
Nothing that I ever say is "professional advice" - principally, because I suffer from an infinitely inescapable prinicipal/agent problem, in that I am, in principle, always acting as my own agent.

Peer-to-Peer Lending & Personal Loan Information

yankeefan

• View Profile
Re: Tuesday Morning Epiphany (Subtitle: "Regulation is for Suckers")
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 10:08:13 am »

We all have seen many SPE's (or SPV's) done for nefarious reasons (see-  Enron).  However, there are many good reasons for special treatment or isolation-  for example- many real estate investors put each property in a separate LLP or LLC.  I could even stretch the point and claim that your basic corpoate structure is a SPE, allowing us to own the profits of the business while limiting our loss to our investment.

That said- the Enron type vehicle exploited serious loopholes in the accounting rules, which loopholes, I believe, were often pointed out to the corporations by their auditors.

Unfortunately for us "prosperians", many borrowers seem to be treating their loans as SPE's  ;)

cubbiesnextyr

• Suspended since 12/13/07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:35:22 am »

That said- the Enron type vehicle exploited serious loopholes in the accounting rules, which loopholes, I believe, were often pointed out to the corporations by their auditors.

I believe Enron's auditors not only signed off on the Enron SPE's, they helped create them.  That's one big reason why Arthur Anderson no longer exists.

Cosmos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 01:31:16 pm »

Special purpose vehicles also allow for lower funding costs.  Also, they can have just about any credit rating you want them to have.  So GMAC debt is higher rated than the debt of GM, which gives GM access to funds at a lower rate and investors a higher rated debt to hold.

Of course, I won't begin to mention the quality of the ratings, that's another subject. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up