Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Debt sale cancelled? Sucks or what?  (Read 35423 times)

iLIE

• View Profile
Re: Debt sale cancelled? Sucks or what?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 07:58:24 pm »

If a debt is sold the lenders unfortunate enough to bid on the loan will immediately get a small amount of the funds lent (I suspect 3-15%), and then never get a penny more.    It seems much better for Prosper to sit on these bad loans for at least 2 years, hoping some of the borrowers make a personal financial recovery.     

Eighty to ninety percent of the loans which have gone bad are ones that a prudent lender should not have bid on.

Mjerry,what are the odds of a prosper borrower winning the lottery & repaying?

15% is too high.The last debt sale didn't bring that much,so this 1 is far lower than that
Some people are like slinkys; they really don't have a purpose in life , but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

pioneer11

• 7/27/07-1/28/23
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 08:04:50 pm »

It seems much better for Prosper to sit on these bad loans for at least 2 years, hoping some of the borrowers make a personal financial recovery.     

BULLSHIT!
Why should I save a dog for $19 per month when I can save a child for $10 per month?

iLIE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 08:08:59 pm »

I bet Junk Debt Buyers are registering for prosper loans as you read this.
Some people are like slinkys; they really don't have a purpose in life , but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

pioneer11

• 7/27/07-1/28/23
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 08:18:58 pm »

I bet Junk Debt Buyers are registering for prosper loans as you read this.
I think I get it...get a Prosper loan...default...buy it back for pennies...brilliant!
Why should I save a dog for $19 per month when I can save a child for $10 per month?

j9359

• View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 08:20:56 pm »

I think I get it...get a Prosper loan...default...buy it back for pennies...brilliant!
This would explain why the secondary market has (or will) never happen.
john.

iLIE

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 08:22:11 pm »

This would explain why the secondary market has (or will) never happen.
john.

This should wake a few primary market lenders up.I doubt it though.They all think they can outpick all the other people who have defaults,so it won't affect them.

rilesemo

• personal ad #555
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 08:42:19 pm »

If a debt is sold the lenders unfortunate enough to bid on the loan will immediately get a small amount of the funds lent (I suspect 3-15%), and then never get a penny more.    It seems much better for Prosper to sit on these bad loans for at least 2 years, hoping some of the borrowers make a personal financial recovery.     

Eighty to ninety percent of the loans which have gone bad are ones that a prudent lender should not have bid on.

I smell some thing burning...

warhola

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 08:50:00 pm »

I have one that hasn't paid since Aug 06.

Hey - that loan might have a special flag  ::)

This bid file contained all loans that were more than 120 days past due as of that date that did not have a bankruptcy indicator or an open “Promise to Pay”

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 09:12:39 pm »

This bid file contained all loans that were more than 120 days past due as of that date that did not have a bankruptcy indicator or an open “Promise to Pay”

They've been promising to pay for a LONG time - maybe someone should pick up on the fact that they obviously aren't honoring their promises ;)

So these 80-90% are all going to win the lottery and pay off their loans? Nope - you ARE correct that they are bad loans. Which is why they should be sold ASAP. The longer they sit, the less they're worth. Why can't people understand that??
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

Cushie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 09:38:13 pm »

Why, I wonder aloud, if PMI can't even get a decent price for these at auction doesn't PMI start suing each and every one of the borrowers?  Or encourage lenders to form an unauthorized JDB company and buy the loans?  Or do something productive?

iLIE

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 09:39:56 pm »

Why, I wonder aloud, if PMI can't even get a decent price for these at auction doesn't PMI start suing each and every one of the borrowers?  Or encourage lenders to form an unauthorized JDB company and buy the loans?  Or do something productive?

If PMI sells the loans they will have to put 6.5 million of defaults on the performance tab. That is more than all the other defaults combined.

Cushie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 09:42:30 pm »

If PMI sells the loans they will have to put 6.5 million of defaults on the performance tab. That is more than all the other defaults combined.

True, hadn't thought about that.

And I like your quote.  No 's on slinky, though.  (I am NOT bashing you)

iLIE

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 09:45:14 pm »

I borrowed the siggy & pasted it as is..I'll fix it now

onthefence

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2008, 12:09:37 am »

Interesting.

Either the credit market's tanking really are having a significant effect on the resale value (in which case they should not have held off on quarterly sales).  Or iLie's statement that the longer these loans stay delinquent the less they are worth on the resale market is extremely accurate.

You would think that if the prior defaulted loans were of value, the prior purchasers would be jumping at these loans.  But they aren't.  Prosper said they received a record number of bids for the portfolio, but they are too low due to market conditions.

Honestly, if the credit markets are so bad, sitting on these loans are not going to increase the loan value in any reasonable amount of time.  If I am wrong about this, please, somebody point this out to me.  Otherwise, I would think Doug Fuller knows this & lend credence to the speculation that prosper is sitting on these loans so that their performance metrics don't tank.

+2 points to Doug Fuller for at least being responsive & telling us what is going on.

Prosper.com as a whole?  I'm glad I chose stocks.
Lobby permission granted

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2008, 12:14:45 am »

Somebody who Fuller actually responds to (Fred93, xraider?) should email him and ask for clarification of exactly what counts as an "open Promise to Pay" such that it suspends a loan from being sold to the JDB.  Although (as I've posted before) in theory I like the idea of Prosper not blindly selling off every loan that is 120 days late at the JDB sale cutoff date (for example, a loan that has made a fairly recent, fairly substantial payment), in practice, Prosper is so inept and unethical, that I don't trust them to make decisions in the lenders' best interests about which loans should be sold off.
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up