Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Congratulations Prosper! May '08 loans funded  (Read 8182 times)

onthefence

• View Profile
Congratulations Prosper! May '08 loans funded
« on: June 02, 2008, 02:00:49 am »

I think it is worth pointing out that prosper has finally broken their April 2007 record for loans funded this past May.  And did so with a more conservative basket of higher quality loans.
http://www.lendingstats.com/loansFunded

I am sure that finally opening up the borrower market to 36% in almost every state had a lot to do with this.

Well, now they just need to quadruple this number to stay in the black.
Lobby permission granted

ira01

• View Profile
Re: Congratulations Prosper! May '08 loans funded
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:35:21 pm »

I think it is worth pointing out that prosper has finally broken their April 2007 record for loans funded this past May.  And did so with a more conservative basket of higher quality loans.

I am sure that finally opening up the borrower market to 36% in almost every state had a lot to do with this.

There is something inconsistent about these two points. I don't think that listings that required a rate of 36% to get funded are likely to be very "conservative" or "higher quality."  To the contrary, I think that 36% listings just enticed greedy/newbie lenders to bid on crap loans that will default in higher than average numbers.  I guess we'll see in 6 months or so. 

ETA:  I think there are actually two strands of this effect working.  One, I stated above (that being able to offer an even higher interest rate let more crap loans get funded).  But the second strand, which I didn't note before, would be that in those states that had completely unrealistic rate caps (such that few, if any, loans ever funded), being able to offer an "appropriate" rate based on the merits of the listing would also allow more (non-crap) loans to fund.  I have no idea which of these two strands is larger in terms of numbers of loans (or dollars) funded. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 05:47:57 pm by ira01 »
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 01:29:34 pm »

I don't follow...
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 01:36:41 pm »

I don't follow...

I think Ira stated it well:

I think that 36% listings just enticed greedy/newbie lenders to bid on crap loans that will default in higher than average numbers.
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

Risk_Reward

• [quote author=ira01 link=topic=29057.msg527926#msg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 08:50:03 pm »

You need to understand auctions.  I start all my ebay auctions at $1 or $.01.  These auctions end at the best prices, because they draw the most interested parties.  The same will happen for Prosper.  Always start your loan high and watch it go low. 
Real libertarian

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 09:37:28 pm »

You need to understand auctions.  I start all my ebay auctions at $1 or $.01.  These auctions end at the best prices, because they draw the most interested parties.  The same will happen for Prosper.  Always start your loan high and watch it go low. 

This is only true on Prosper within certain bounds.  Listings that start too high given the credit details and loan size tend not to do well -- and for good reason.  A borrower who doesn't intend to repay the loan doesn't care about the final rate.  Or a borrower whose financial condition is very precarious (perhaps in ways not shown by the numbers in the listing) also may not care much about the rate, due to desparation. 
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

Risk_Reward

• [quote author=ira01 link=topic=29057.msg527926#msg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 10:10:46 pm »

This is only true on Prosper within certain bounds.  Listings that start too high given the credit details and loan size tend not to do well -- and for good reason.  A borrower who doesn't intend to repay the loan doesn't care about the final rate.  Or a borrower whose financial condition is very precarious (perhaps in ways not shown by the numbers in the listing) also may not care much about the rate, due to desparation. 

Any evidence of this?
Real libertarian

cubbiesnextyr

• Suspended since 12/13/07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 03:50:40 pm »

Any evidence of this?

I recall someone doing studies about this a while back.  Basically the conclusion was that if someone accepts a loan with a rate well above the going rate for their credit grade, they tended to default (at least go late) at a much higher rate.

The starting rate of the auction wasn't a factor, but the final rate was.

onthefence

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 07:27:24 pm »

*sigh*  It looks like things are back down for this June.
Lobby permission granted

cubbiesnextyr

• Suspended since 12/13/07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 09:34:15 pm »

Still a year-over-year increase though.

warhola

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 09:41:17 pm »

But no lates yet  :)

Capital_Finance_Group

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 07:18:35 pm »

But no lates yet  :)

The operative word is "yet"

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

The first May loans are already showing signs of trouble.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

jmathree

• Donate to St. Jude's at http://www.tg.stjude.org/
    • View Profile
    • Prosperlinks
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 08:01:36 am »

Due to Prosper's change in policy to allow links to 3rd party discussion forums in user profiles noted in this thread, I have updated  my profile to help Prosper members find discussion forums, blogs, and stats and analysis sites to help them succeed on Prosper.com.

d94e59b6

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 08:11:37 am »

As someone who would repay every time, if I was going to request a loan, I would not waste my time starting out at 36%--ebay strategy notwithstanding.  To insinuate that I am such a poor businesswoman that I would either take that rate or pull the listing when I don't get the rate I want is unacceptable.  However, as has already been stated, if I were in trouble and had no intention of paying, I would not care about the rate.  This is a poor idea and these loans will fare badly.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up