Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: no more lenders from Pennsylvania  (Read 14263 times)

traveler505

• View Profile
Re: no more lenders from Pennsylvania
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 02:05:01 am »

There was an earlier thread on this -- http://www.prospers.org/forum/important_news_for_pennsylvania_lenders-t9429.0.html.  As I stated there:

Very interesting.  I think this strongly suggests that Prosper was lying when it blamed its same decision regarding South Dakota lenders on the fact the since Prosper couldn't have South Dakota borrowers, it made a business decision that it wasn't worth it to deal with the compliance issues for SD lenders.  To me, this shows that states are taking a look at Prosper and saying "no thank you" -- perhaps due to Prosper's various shortcommings that we all know well. 

http://www.prospers.org/forum/any_ideas_why_prosper_recently_stopped_allowing_lenders_from_south_dakota-t9177.0.html

I haven't looked at the Pennsylvania situation, but I perused the South Dakota statutes a while back (for one of those blog posts I never got around to writing). 

It seems rather clear that South Dakota's lender licensing requirement applies to loan purchasers (e.g. Prosper "lenders") as well as to loan originators (e.g. Prosper).  Obviously, requiring each Prosper "lender" to obtain his or her own lending license would be unworkable; enabling Prosper "lenders" to avoid state licensing requirements is an essential element of the P2P lending model.   

Presumably, Prosper originally interpreted this licensing requirement to apply only to loans which are made to South Dakota borrowers.  Under this view, Prosper "lenders" could avoid the licensing requirement if Prosper did not lend to South Dakota residents. 

I suspect that the change in policy means that Prosper now interprets the statute to mean that all loan purchasers (Prosper "lenders") in South Dakota must be licensed, regardless of the borrower's state of residence.   Under this interpretation, Prosper would have no practical option other than to ban South Dakota residents from "lending".

A while back, bamalucky pointed out a similar statute in Alabama, which (IIRC) requires any Alabama resident who purchases more than 25 loans to obtain a state license.  (Prosper itself did not have to be licensed, because it did not have a physical presence in the state.)  It is not clear to me whether Alabama interprets this law to mean "25 loans to Alabama borrowers" or "25 loans altogether."  If the former, it's possible that no Alabama lenders have exceeded their quota.  If the latter, expect Alabama to be added to the lender ban sooner or later.
"Trav, you can always take up another hobby..." -- BigGulp

Now blogging at http://blog.traveler505.com, home of the MNH Reports and other commentary on Prosper.com and P2P lending in general.

Need Help with Credit Repair & Rebuilding?  Try CreditBoards.com.

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 08:37:51 am »

Why do you think i stopped at 25 loans  ;D
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Investar

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 09:09:54 am »

I've been rethinking whether Pennsylvania may have been active in the 20-state consortium that propelled NASAA to act (as Beerbud asserts). Certainly, we joined South Dakota as the only two lending states prohibited at both Prosper and Loanio (we're not approved at Lending Club either). At the outset in September the most thorough rumination on the Penna dilemma was here....

http://pa4prosperlending.blogspot.com/

A lot of that has been answered. Yes, they are securities. So now I will definitely need a Penna securities license to participate on a P2P platform? Probably, based on my own recent speculation to INVESTAR Lenders that parallels....

DOUR OUTLOOK FOR PENNSYLVANIA?

Unbeknownst to the citizenry at large, until about two months ago it was illegal for Pennsylvanians to sell on eBay unless we had completed state mandated schooling and obtained our Auctioneers License. Naturally, attempts at enforcement became problematic so they tried to 'get us' from the eBay side.

eBay Opposes Regulation while Pennsylvania Sellers Face Fines
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y07/m11/i20/s01

But now we are free to act. New state law exempts eBay type auctions from the licensing requirement. Yard sales are finally legal too. I note that Ebay began in the home of Pierre Omidyar in 1995 and was a bona-fide entity by 1998. This is 2008. It has taken ten years for my state to wake up and get aligned. Not a good omen regards smoothing the way for P2P lending here.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up