Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fraudulent Listing (and rather macabre)  (Read 14433 times)

babelphish

• View Profile
Fraudulent Listing (and rather macabre)
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:34:28 pm »

Here we have "Helping mom kill her credit cards"

http://www.prosper.com/invest/listing.aspx?listingID=416581

Which is kind of sick considering "mom", if that's the woman pictured, is DEAD (and has been for more than ten years):

http://www.lkaz.demon.co.uk/ban67.htm

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:40:47 pm by babelphish »

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
Re: Fraudulent Listing (and rather macabre)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:38:22 pm »

Here we have "Helping mom kill her credit cards"

http://www.prosper.com/invest/listing.aspx?listingID=416581

Which is kind of sick considering "mom", if that's the woman pictured, is DEAD:

http://www.lkaz.demon.co.uk/ban67.htm

:o :o :o

Well, I wondered how long it would take before scam listings started appearing... By my count, it was one day.

cowdog

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:50:15 pm »

Prosper will probably end up deleting any and all references that may lead anyone to pii.

I expect to see only numbers in the future -- such as borrower #4821 or  lender #3892.

;D

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:04:21 pm »

Nominate for lobby
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:11:50 pm »

Second for lobby.

What odds are people willing to put up that Prosper doesn't take this listing down?

babelphish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 11:24:31 pm »

MsTabbyKats

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 05:41:54 am »

Why do you think it's fraudulent?
The borrower has 22 on time payments for her first loan.......
Since when does it say the picture posted has to be of the borrower etc.?

Or am I missing something.............??

big-al

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 06:06:32 am »

http://www.prosper.com/account/common/agreement_view.aspx?agreement_type_id=7

Prohibited Activities. You agree that you will not, in connection with any listings, bids, loans or other transactions involving or potentially involving Prosper or WebBank, (i) make any false, misleading or deceptive statements or omissions of material fact in your listing; (ii) misrepresent your identity, or describe, present or portray yourself as a person other than yourself, whether in a narrative description or a photo in your listing; (iii) give to or receive from, or offer or agree to give to or receive from any Prosper lender or other person any fee, bonus, additional interest, kickback or thing of value of any kind in connection with a requested or existing loan or in exchange for such person's bid, recommendation, or offer or agreement to bid on or recommend your listing; or (iv) represent yourself to any person as a director, officer or employee of Prosper or WebBank, unless you are such director, officer or employee.

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 06:22:02 am »

Prohibited Activities. You agree that you will not, in connection with any listings, bids, loans or other transactions involving or potentially involving Prosper or WebBank, (i) make any false, misleading or deceptive statements or omissions of material fact in your listing; (ii) misrepresent your identity, or describe, present or portray yourself as a person other than yourself, whether in a narrative description or a photo in your listing; (iii) give to or receive from, or offer or agree to give to or receive from any Prosper lender or other person any fee, bonus, additional interest, kickback or thing of value of any kind in connection with a requested or existing loan or in exchange for such person's bid, recommendation, or offer or agreement to bid on or recommend your listing; or (iv) represent yourself to any person as a director, officer or employee of Prosper or WebBank, unless you are such director, officer or employee.

Remember that Prosper has stated that they do not verify information in the listing.

big-al

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 06:30:28 am »

Remember that Prosper has stated that they do not verify information in the listing.

Haven't listings been canceled in the past for photos of people other than the borrower?

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 06:35:00 am »

Haven't listings been canceled in the past for photos of people other than the borrower?

I have reported a few before where the picture was obviously and easily verifiable as being something other than what the borrower described it to be in the description and Prosper did not cancel any of them.

MsTabbyKats

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 06:51:24 am »

That article was written just before the first loan....maybe the borrower just liked the pic... (was using someone else's pic prohibited at the time, or is that something new?)

I doubt the listing itself is fraudulent....otherwise why would she have 22 "on time" payments.

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 07:17:07 am »

That article was written just before the first loan....maybe the borrower just liked the pic... (was using someone else's pic prohibited at the time, or is that something new?)

I doubt the listing itself is fraudulent....otherwise why would she have 22 "on time" payments.

Confidence job would be one possible explanation.  We've seen a couple of those.

big-al

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 08:11:41 am »

Confidence job would be one possible explanation.  We've seen a couple of those.

Isn't that generally a small first loan followed by a larger second?

NewHorizon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 08:32:30 am »

Isn't that generally a small first loan followed by a larger second?

No, this borrower is smarter than that.  He's building up his credibility over the LONG term: every two years, he lists for a 4-digit loan.  Then after a decade or so - WHAM - he grabs $25K and disappears.

OK, seriously.  I agree the picture is a slick sales job (which I don't like), but given that he used it 2 years ago followed by 2 years of prompt payments, I'm with MsTabby - I'm not seeing fraud popping up just now.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up