Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiseclerk predicting Prosper failure in 2010?  (Read 11602 times)

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
Wiseclerk predicting Prosper failure in 2010?
« on: January 15, 2010, 12:49:35 pm »

http://www.wiseclerk.com/group-news/uncategorized-p2p-lending-trends-to-watch-in-2010/

Wiseclerk stops short of mentioning Prosper Loans Marketplace by name, but I am not aware of another player receiving the amount of bad press as that of Prosper.com.

An established peer-to-peer-lending service will fail (probability 50%)
While p2p lending as a whole is growing fast, some services face economic challenges. It is possible that one of them will fail in 2010 and close (This would not be the first time this has happened – remember Boober and Fairrates). The market it did operate in will likely experience slowed growth due to bad press. A major failure would also affect the funding chances of any service still in idea/planning phase.
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

cubbiesnextyr

• Suspended since 12/13/07
    • View Profile
Re: Wiseclerk predicting Prosper failure in 2010?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 12:59:04 pm »

As long as they can get through September I'll be fine, my last non-late loan matures 9/28/2010.

bamalucky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 03:35:49 pm »

Can you imagine the fiasco a Prosper BK would turn into. This site would double in members in days.

Oh joy,i'll have to put "I told ya so" in my siggy.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Senator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 05:02:21 pm »

50% probability seems low to me.  I'd go as high as 70% probability.

Lobby.
Stats as of 12/29/2010:
Total withdrawals: $3,488.87 minus (-) Total deposits: $3,600.00 = ($111.13)
Cash balance: $0
Principal value of active notes:  $0
Total active notes: 0 of 70.

Successful loans are made to persons who are on a clear path to financial stability. -Mjerryfirst May 18th, 2008.

I know that when I make my 10% those "unbelievers" will call it luck cause that will be the easiest way to excuse their mistakes. -Researchpro May 5th, 2009.

It's a great time to be poor and irresponsible in America. -PPT May 2009

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 05:59:19 pm »

Quote from: Senator link=topic=18232.msg320773#msg320773 date=1263596541

Lobby.
[/quote

2nd
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

xraider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 07:00:32 pm »

It would be a major tragedy if Prosper failed in 2010.  I particularly appreciate Prosper's eagerness to correct problems by changing the terms of service, uniformly to the lenders' detriment.

This company should fail.... but only after paying megabucks in the class action now pending against it.   >:(
Prosper missed me.  They lifted my suspension a day early.

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 10:05:08 pm »

It would be a major tragedy if Prosper failed in 2010.  I particularly appreciate Prosper's eagerness to correct problems by changing the terms of service, uniformly to the lenders' detriment.

This company should fail.... but only after paying megabucks in the class action now pending against it.   >:(

Well, hopefully either the individual defendants (hello, Chris) will have to pay out of their pockets, or the insurance will pick up the tab.  Overall, it would be a big service to the public for Prosper to BK sooner rather than later,
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

mothandrust

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 12:11:26 am »

If Prosper can't raise any more VC cash, they can get a bank loan or credit line using the 3.0 Notes as collateral. 

Maybe they already have?

Since the 3.0 Notes are unsecured, the bankruptcy trustee would escrow the payments of principal and interest and be able to pay back the bank.
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 12:55:13 am »

If Prosper can't raise any more VC cash, they can get a bank loan or credit line using the 3.0 Notes as collateral. 

Maybe they already have?

Since the 3.0 Notes are unsecured, the bankruptcy trustee would escrow the payments of principal and interest and be able to pay back the bank.

Prosper is only originating $2M a month in loans, and some portion of those will default.  And current payments go to the "lenders" as long as Prosper isn't in BK.  So I doubt they could borrow a whole lot based on those -- almost certainly not their $1M a month burn rate.

cowdiddly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 07:08:26 am »

Don't worry. They are a Financial company. Obama will bail them out, Prosper is about as solvent as most of the Banks in the country. Nothing a little stimulus won't take care of after Chrisypoo changes Prosper into a Bank Holding company. :ninja: :-\ :ninja: ??? :ninja:

The_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 12:19:51 am »

Don't worry. They are a Financial company. Obama will bail them out, Prosper is about as solvent as most of the Banks in the country. Nothing a little stimulus won't take care of after Chrisypoo changes Prosper into a Bank Holding company. :ninja: :-\ :ninja: ??? :ninja:
Wrong...not too big to fail.

The_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 12:20:56 am »

50% probability seems low to me.  I'd go as high as 70% probability.

Lobby.

I'll see your 70% and rise you to 90%

DakotahFury

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 07:43:01 am »

I actually think this is a real possibility. Lets not forget that Larsen is a pretty significant Democratic donor. I don't see why the current admin wouldn't consider using the slush fund TARP to prop up Prosper. I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that Larsen has tried to grease those wheels already.
"If you are up-to-date on your vaccines today, and you avail yourself of the treatments, your chances of dying COVID are vanishingly rare and certainly much lower than your risk of getting into trouble with the flu," Jha (White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator) told NPR.

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 11:44:39 am »

I actually think this is a real possibility. Lets not forget that Larsen is a pretty significant Democratic donor. I don't see why the current admin wouldn't consider using the slush fund TARP to prop up Prosper. I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that Larsen has tried to grease those wheels already.

Give me a break -- to say that Prosper is a bit player is a massive understatement.  In the overall scheme of financial institutions, Prosper is akin to a kid with a lemonade stand in his front yard.  There is no chance in hell of a federal bailout.

DakotahFury

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 10:39:05 am »

Give me a break -- to say that Prosper is a bit player is a massive understatement.  In the overall scheme of financial institutions, Prosper is akin to a kid with a lemonade stand in his front yard.  There is no chance in hell of a federal bailout.
That's exactly why I think it's a possibility. It's a small player...and an innovative financial instrument based on very much progressive ideas. It may not be TARP...it may not be a "bailout"...but watch out for some sort of government assistance. A cash infusion or equity purchase in the company of just a few million wouldn't even register on the radar.
"If you are up-to-date on your vaccines today, and you avail yourself of the treatments, your chances of dying COVID are vanishingly rare and certainly much lower than your risk of getting into trouble with the flu," Jha (White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator) told NPR.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up