Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Prosper caught selling member's personal information  (Read 36282 times)

Fred93

• View Profile
Re: Prosper caught selling member's personal information
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 12:07:11 pm »

I second this...  Use a private registration service.

Private registration services are not all they're cracked up to be.  I have some web sites registered this way.  I tested the private registration service (domaindirect) by sending email to the address listed in my published domain records.  The mail was never forwarded to me.  A lengthy back and forth with domain direct never resolved the issue.  In short, they can't be trusted to ever forward anything.  If you really care, don't use them.

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 12:24:43 pm »

And again, P-----r doesn't follow their legal "agreements". Since so many of you were OK as long as it benefited you, why are you surprised when they don't adhere to them when it only benefits them?
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

zcommodore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 12:43:58 pm »

Private registration services are not all they're cracked up to be.  I have some web sites registered this way.  I tested the private registration service (domaindirect) by sending email to the address listed in my published domain records.  The mail was never forwarded to me.  A lengthy back and forth with domain direct never resolved the issue.  In short, they can't be trusted to ever forward anything.  If you really care, don't use them.

Interesting.  DomainDirect is the company I used for my domain and, while I don't often use the e-mail forwarding feature, I haven't knowingly had any problems with it either.  I did test it early on and again after I saw this post but had no problems either time.

BrassKnuckles

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 02:19:45 pm »

Slightly related to this topic...

An email address I had created just for use with prosper started getting special offers from Quicken / QuikBooks after about 3 or 4 months.  I realize that it could have been added to a direct marketing DB by other means, but my gut tells me prosper is selling mailing lists (or their 3rd party provider handling mailings).  Anyway, I changed my prosper email and never got another offer like that again.

???

ks6328

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 03:33:58 pm »

I've never used a private registration service because the registration service owns the domain, which has its own potential for major problems.  Just like I would never let a domain hosting service register a domain on my behalf.

I don't recall ever having heard of someone having a problem getting  their domain away from a private registration service if they wanted (though that's not to say that it's never happened).  But there have been many horror stories where someone had their hosting service register a domain name on their behalf, the hosting service registers in their own name instead of the customer's name, and then charges the customer an arm and a leg to get control of the domain if the customer wants to switch to a different hosting service.

That latter is irrelevant for me now anyway.  I now host my domains on my own server which is here in my apartment, about six feet away from me.

DakotahFury

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 07:41:57 am »

http://mymicrofinance.wordpress.com/2008/01/29/prosper-and-my-junk/
What's the latest on this? Did PMI have any more reaction other than that "we're looking into it" response from the CMO?
"If you are up-to-date on your vaccines today, and you avail yourself of the treatments, your chances of dying COVID are vanishingly rare and certainly much lower than your risk of getting into trouble with the flu," Jha (White House COVID-19 Response Coordinator) told NPR.

traveler505

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 02:12:45 pm »

Jeff & Heather haven't mentioned any PMI reply on their "My Microfinance" Blog. 

But apparently all is forgiven:

Lastly and most importantly… With the arrival of and passing of our second year anniversary with Prosper.com (yesterday) we have decided to resume lending again. Now, recently we had been back and forth, in and out, etc with this. Emotions from the past have always been a dark cloud over our head when it comes to thinking about Prosper.com and our commitment to the effort. I am putting this out there because I know there needs to be a clearing of the air… Shira Levine, you are forgiven for your past failures at Prosper.com in the hope that the future will be ripe with success for you and Prosper. I’m not even sure (can someone confirm this) she is part of Prosper.com any longer, but I need her to know she did what she could at the time and what we know via hindsight has shown to be bad, which at the time looked good, if that makes any sense at all. So there it is, forgiveness… Something you likely won’t see every day from a Prosper.com lender. Our account balance is teetering at $4,200 which means we should be able to climb back up to $5,000 relatively easily. We are going to watch the performance of new loans carefully to see if the necessary changes to collection practices and policy have actually taken effect and redirected defaults into better territory. Currently, per Prospers.org data, loans are going late historically at an alarming rate from before Doug Fuller’s arrival with a sharp drop down after his arrival. It’s still too early to tell, but I believe Doug is turning things around with aggressive internal initiatives. Prosper’s lack of a proper party piece in the PR department is duly noted as they get a ‘D+’ on communicating to people. We hope to see this drastically improve as Prosper expands into new markets and levels of status within the financial marketplace. We are excited to see what comes out at Prosper Days 2008 in a few weeks as far as internal changes and site evolution (Prosper.com revision 3.0 should be previewed I hope). The ridiculous changes to the forums need to be pushed HARD by lenders and borrowers as the forums are a completely useless tool (tool is actually the wrong word unless we are talking about the ‘knob’ who made it). I don’t expect perfection from Prosper, just the willingness to listen to input from those who give a damn. So enough criticism, let’s get back together, over coffee perhaps, and remember the fundamental reasons we came to Prosper in the first place.

"Trav, you can always take up another hobby..." -- BigGulp

Now blogging at http://blog.traveler505.com, home of the MNH Reports and other commentary on Prosper.com and P2P lending in general.

Need Help with Credit Repair & Rebuilding?  Try CreditBoards.com.

FlyingSolo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 03:00:38 pm »

bama says to Jeff and Heather:

You guys need a moral compass. Let me guess. You got some personal attention fluff from a prosper employee, correct? What promises did they make to you? Free Parc 55 rooms at PD? Care to share what price you sold your morality for?

"Realising that a man will die if he has his head removed is knowledge, deciding if a particular decapitation is an accident, a crime or the upholding of justice, is wisdom." - Philip Atkinson

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 03:13:20 pm »

You guys need a moral compass. Let me guess. You got some personal attention fluff from a prosper employee, correct? What promises did they make to you? Free Parc 55 rooms at PD? Care to share what price you sold your morality for?

+1
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 05:35:03 pm »

+1
+2
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

Tokyo Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 06:38:03 pm »

FANAFI always was a lousy group.  The muddled, cloudy thinking in their blog posts confirmed what I suspected all along; I suspect J 'n' H aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.  I'm willing to bet nobody even had to promise them a thing...  ;)

AmexFan

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 06:42:22 pm »

FANAFI always was a lousy group.  The muddled, cloudy thinking in their blog posts confirmed what I suspected all along; I suspect J 'n' H aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.  I'm willing to bet nobody even had to promise them a thing...  ;)

Coffee anyone?

traveler505

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 06:58:27 pm »

LoanChimp's warm and fuzzy comments here:

http://warmnfuzzyprosperblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/why-bid-before-prosper-days-08.html

Jeff & Heather's blog is now viewable only to registered WordPress users.   

Weird.  Just weird.

Now blogging at http://blog.traveler505.com, home of the MNH Reports and other commentary on Prosper.com and P2P lending in general.

traveler505

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 11:23:21 pm »

And now all posts on Jeff & Heather's My Microfinance blog have been deleted, except for a new one simply listing the amount invested on each P2P site.

Fred93

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 11:28:14 pm »

This has become a pretty strange story.  At this point I recommend Jeff & Heather plead insanity.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up