Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subprime Dead Pool  (Read 2010 times)

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
Subprime Dead Pool
« on: April 03, 2008, 07:43:55 am »

The moral of this sad story is that when a bank looks smarter than everyone else in a given market that often means that there is something amiss with the business model choices being made by management.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/71013-welcome-to-the-subprime-dead-pool

on a side note .. the collapse of fremont general would be the biggest bank failure in 20 years. we have about 1 month to find out if this comes to past (the FDIC has given them a 60 day ultimatum to raise more capital or sell itself)
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

brianguy

• aka DAN
    • View Profile
Re: Subprime Dead Pool
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 03:44:28 pm »

yeah, I used to have deposits at my local Lincoln Savings until they went under when I was 11-12.  ahh those were the days   ;D  great bank to be honest, maybe best I've ever used.  that whole junk bond thing aside.

btw I like how the Fed told Fremont to get an influx of more money or see ya, but their savings and CD rates are nonexistant.  I suppose their only salvation will be borrowing other banks, or if somebody buys them, or (unlikely) from the Fed themselves.

Edit:  Right after I posted this, I see a large ad in the local Business section of the newspaper from Fremont declaring 6-month jumbo CD rates at 3.40% APY and MMA at 3.25% APY.  so guess I spoke too soon.  still not sure how much it'll help... but it's there.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 06:36:01 pm by brianguy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up