Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Prosper annoyance  (Read 12831 times)

cowdog

Another Prosper annoyance
« on: April 16, 2008, 09:32:09 pm »

My account is now on hold.

I was going to create a loan listing and wasn't signed in first. I went through the process, signing up for an account and then when it got to employment info it froze, so I never completed the employment info or the listing.

Now I try to access my lending account and it tells me it is on hold because my social security number is already used.

Account On Hold

Your Prosper account has been placed on hold. You will still be able to use the site, but your access to some features might be limited. Please contact customer support to resolve this issue.

Prosper can just forget about me borrowing money for a new camera; I can find other sources that will cost much less in aggravation.

I should have known better than to continue any involvement with these jokers. My last bid was Oct-20-2006 and am waiting patiently until it either defaults or pays off, and then I am running to the next pasture as fast as my hooves will take me.

Now I wait to see if customer service actually responds to, or even reads, their form emails. The message after submission said to wait a few days.  :(

Mtnchick

• View Profile
Re: Another Prosper annoyance
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 09:36:33 pm »

Cowdog, Cowdog, Cowdog....why are you even bothering? Get a 12 months same as cash deal somewhere and buy your camera there. P------r blew up for lenders a long time ago and is in the process of blowing up for borrowers too.
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

cowdog

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 09:54:56 pm »

It gets better.

An email sent to the email address of the NEW registration, not the one that has been in use since 2006:

Social Security Number Used Again

Dear xxx,

Our system has detected another registration attempt using your Social Security Number. Prosper policy restricts individuals to one account.

If you attempted to register another account, please refrain from doing this in the future. If you have forgotten your sign-in information or wish to change the email address associated with your account, please contact customer service.

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:03:12 pm »

It gets better.

An email sent to the email address of the NEW registration, not the one that has been in use since 2006:

Social Security Number Used Again

Dear xxx,

Our system has detected another registration attempt using your Social Security Number. Prosper policy restricts individuals to one account.

If you attempted to register another account, please refrain from doing this in the future. If you have forgotten your sign-in information or wish to change the email address associated with your account, please contact customer service.

:D :D :D So if someone was illegally trying to use your SS#, you'd not even be made aware of it because they sent the email to the "new" address.

Brilliant.
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

LoanChimp

• LC - Punk Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 10:13:54 pm »

wait. why did you try to sign up for a new account when you already had one?

• View Profile
    • Prosper Report
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:20:28 pm »

they'll still count that account in their membership count at press time
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

you're

cowdog

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 11:50:06 pm »

wait. why did you try to sign up for a new account when you already had one?

I think the right answer is: because I'm an idiot.

I clicked on "Become a Borrower" and then didn't see the "Already a member? Sign in now" on the right. Gotta admit, it is in very small type and off to the right, so I went on to complete the rest of the form.

;D

Edit ----> Yes, that is correct Mtchick. Prosper sent the NEW account that email, they sent no notification of any kind to the original account.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 11:55:35 pm by cowdog »

Heavens2Murgetroid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 11:56:27 pm »

How does this attempt to protect you make them wrong?   If someone had your SSN an was setting up and account, it is likely they have other information on you and could attempt to wipe out your account. 

I think this sounds like they were trying to do the RIGHT thing.   

cowdog

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 12:17:35 am »

How does this attempt to protect you make them wrong?   If someone had your SSN an was setting up and account, it is likely they have other information on you and could attempt to wipe out your account. 

I don't know why I bother, but for those who can't read... the email was sent to the new account, NOT the old one.

Which means, if you had been paying attention, that someone with nefarious intent could register an account, and then get an email that the social security number was already in use. No notification of any kind was sent to my existing account that someone tried to use the same ss# to get a new account.

Urbi_et_Orbi

• "Lock Him Up" - Suspended Since 9/3/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 12:53:33 am »

Cowdog,

Wanna borrow some money?
Mothandrust: "Why's he off the ballot in Colorado but it's OK for the other 48 states and Hawaii to vote for him"
https://www.prospers.org/forum/index.php?topic=37264.msg807090#msg807090

Heavens2Murgetroid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 05:08:25 am »

I don't know why I bother, but for those who can't read... the email was sent to the new account, NOT the old one.

Which means, if you had been paying attention, that someone with nefarious intent could register an account, and then get an email that the social security number was already in use. No notification of any kind was sent to my existing account that someone tried to use the same ss# to get a new account.

But your existing, lending account was put on hold.   Which is where you lending funds, are.  SO (and I will refrain from snippy as you were) they kept that from being compromised.   When you tried to go on there, it tells you that there was an issue and you needed to contact them.  I still don't see the big whoop or the serious breach of security.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:21:33 am by Heavens2Murgetroid »

evisha

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 05:49:50 am »

and there's always a phone, if you can't wait for email.......

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 07:23:17 am »

But your existing, lending account was put on hold.   Which is where you lending funds, are.  SO (and I will refrain from snippy as you were) they kept that from being compromised.   When you tried to go on there, it tells you that there was an issue and you needed to contact them.  I still don't see the big whoop or the serious breach of security.

They sent an e-mail that was worded like it was intended to be sent to the OLD account to the WRONG e-mail address (the one on the NEW account) and it had the FULL NAME of the OLD account in it.

This means that I (or any nefarious person) could shut down the entire Prosper platform by locking out every single user's account, and get Prosper to e-mail me the SSN and FULL NAME of all of its users.  And all this by just writing a program that will try and create a borrower account for every possible SSN (000-00-0000 through 999-99-9999).

Staneslav

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 08:41:15 am »

a
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:32:15 am by Staneslav »
Look to my coming, at first light, on the day of the Cub's mathematical elimination. At dawn, look to the NL Central.
My apologies to Tolkien.

Beachey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 09:16:47 am »

poof
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 10:22:24 pm by Beachey »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up