Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Latest Prosper blog  (Read 19336 times)

nonattender

• View Profile
Re: Latest Prosper blog
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 11:06:20 am »

I agree that it's silly to buy a rock or hire a bad 80's cover band on credit, as a first step toward marriage,
but even people who can (and do) pay their bills buy (and do) all kinds of things that I think are ridiculous.

The whole point was to get things to the point where it was easy to spot and make money off of it, right?

If they have a verified bidding endorser or two, it might not be such a bad idea from a social capital angle.
You're going to look like a real heel defaulting on members of your own wedding party who lent you dough.
Bridezilla does not want the memory of her blessed day tainted by the gossiping of her unpaid bridesmaids.
Plus, you've got the added benefit in this instance of making two people (and their families) look like heels.

I realize that some people like to throw fits every time Prosper does anything, but for those who are really
interested in the -continuing- experiment, sure, this is about volume, but it's also about meaningful groups.

I like how some of the people in this thread wanted Groups 2.0 to have more teeth - but don't even see it.

-t
Nothing that I ever say is "professional advice" - principally, because I suffer from an infinitely inescapable prinicipal/agent problem, in that I am, in principle, always acting as my own agent.

Peer-to-Peer Lending & Personal Loan Information

snake

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 01:30:26 pm »

ill happily bid on any group leader who cosigns his group loans

(thats how they do it in Mexico - the group cosigns the loans, and believe me, theres a lot of pressure on the individuals to slave away to pay off the onerous rates)

It should also eliminate this nonsense stranger-to-stranger lending

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008, 01:40:58 pm »

ill happily bid on any group leader who cosigns his group loans

(thats how they do it in Mexico - the group cosigns the loans, and believe me, theres a lot of pressure on the individuals to slave away to pay off the onerous rates)

It should also eliminate this nonsense stranger-to-stranger lending

There are a lot of group leaders sitting here with defaults on loans in their group that they bid on who would disagree with the comparison of Mexico and P-----r as far as collection tactics ;)
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

snake

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 01:57:17 pm »

exactly! A good GL should be able to repo a borrower's burro in the event of nonpayment.

No need to depend on Prosper if the GL is on the hook for repayment

msava

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 06:14:08 pm »

Prosper discourages group leaders from communicating with member borrowers after the loan.
" Ten percent of what you eat feeds you, 90 percent feeds your doctor."

dandelion.ranch

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 03:50:33 pm »

i don't care what happens- you people aren't getting my burro.
"What a strange world that is! I had no idea it existed. I don't even know what half these pepole are talking about but they sure do trash each other. They even post who is late with loans. Too scary for me. It is like the dark side..." -some random idiot

biblio1

• Always designated driver, never life of the party.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2008, 03:51:21 pm »

What about your flooring?  What did you eventually choose?

dandelion.ranch

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2008, 04:19:19 pm »

after the pergo horror stories, i'm leaning toward carpet. the apartments are really just two rooms, both 12'x12', and the 'kitchen' takes up a corner of the front room. i can do the kitchen corner- all 30 square feet of it- and the tiny bathroom- in tile pretty affordably. i've been talking to a local flooring place that will sell me their remnants for almost nothing if i have them do the labor. it looks like i can get all three apts (my apt doesn't need it) done for ~$1300 total.
"What a strange world that is! I had no idea it existed. I don't even know what half these pepole are talking about but they sure do trash each other. They even post who is late with loans. Too scary for me. It is like the dark side..." -some random idiot

Mtnchick

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 05:25:39 pm »

after the pergo horror stories, i'm leaning toward carpet. the apartments are really just two rooms, both 12'x12', and the 'kitchen' takes up a corner of the front room. i can do the kitchen corner- all 30 square feet of it- and the tiny bathroom- in tile pretty affordably. i've been talking to a local flooring place that will sell me their remnants for almost nothing if i have them do the labor. it looks like i can get all three apts (my apt doesn't need it) done for ~$1300 total.

I'm not sure what Pergo horror stories you've heard, but several months ago I ripped out my carpet (which was actually laid over hardwood by a previous owner) and RECOVERED the hardwood with laminate (got cheap stuff since when I sell I'll pull it up and redo the hardwood floors). Best thing I EVER did. The floor actually get CLEAN now instead of years of the stuff you know the vacuum cleaner isn't getting staying in the carpet. And for rentals? Laminate sounds like a no brainer. If not the laminate, do the tile everywhere.
Classic comment from Urbi to a poster who said they were leaving:

"Once again, we note that your threats are hollow and you come across like a sad, lonely blowhard.

I doubt anyone here gives a shit about you.  We pretty much all know that you are a vile and unethical parasite of a human being with an abnormal craving for attention."

cowdog

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 07:21:38 pm »

Now it's the engagement, I hate to think where all this is leading...

http://blog.prosper.com/2008/05/27/engagement/

xraider

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2008, 08:13:24 pm »

Gas prices so high you need a little help to be sure your car gets there on your first date?  Prosper loan to the rescue!
Prosper missed me.  They lifted my suspension a day early.

Capital_Finance_Group

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2008, 08:47:31 pm »

I'm getting sick of the wasted blog space.

pioneer11

• 7/27/07-1/28/23
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2008, 09:03:31 pm »

I'm getting sick of the wasted blog space.
It makes me a little angry.  What stupid advice?
Why should I save a dog for $19 per month when I can save a child for $10 per month?

mothandrust

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2008, 01:23:34 pm »

If they have a verified bidding endorser or two, it might not be such a bad idea from a social capital angle.
You're going to look like a real heel defaulting on members of your own wedding party who lent you dough.
Bridezilla does not want the memory of her blessed day tainted by the gossiping of her unpaid bridesmaids.
Plus, you've got the added benefit in this instance of making two people (and their families) look like heels.

I think VBE's would be much harder to get for a wedding than for a typical loan where a borrower gets a brother or parent to endorse and bid.

If there are VBE's on both sides of the aisle, everyone will find out that the happy couple can't afford this extravagant wedding and is borrowing at 35% for the ice sculpture and the open bar.  How come the bride's family isn't paying for this, are they broke too?  Older relatives will look askance.
"Fake quotes will ruin the internet" -- Benjamin Franklin

Nora_Lenderbee

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2008, 02:01:58 pm »

If there are VBE's on both sides of the aisle, everyone will find out that the happy couple can't afford this extravagant wedding and is borrowing at 35% for the ice sculpture and the open bar.  How come the bride's family isn't paying for this, are they broke too?  Older relatives will look askance.

These borrowers think it's perfectly appropriate to borrow money for a wedding. Chances are that their family have a similar attitude. Older doesn't mean wiser; the borrowers' silly attitude toward borrowing might have come from their parents.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up