Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: So you like your lendingstats ROI?  (Read 10874 times)

iLIE

• View Profile
So you like your lendingstats ROI?
« on: April 29, 2008, 08:27:43 pm »

You think LS is even close? I say no way.Please justify the difference in erics & this

http://www.lendingstats.com/lenders/pensioner
Some people are like slinkys; they really don't have a purpose in life , but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
Re: So you like your lendingstats ROI?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:31:35 pm »

Go to this page:
http://www.lendingstats.com/lenders/pensioner/audit?pageNum=-1&sort=lateLossAmount&sortDirection=DESC

And look at the Estimated Late Loss Amount column.

LS is estimating a loss of only $4,797.65 out of $13,569.56 for a 4+ Month Late loan.  He has lots of those.

Nora_Lenderbee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 08:32:40 pm »

LS seems to be quite off. According to LS, MsAva is making money
http://www.lendingstats.com/lenders/MsAva

but according to Eric's, she's losing almost exactly the same amount of money:
http://www.ericscc.com/lenders/MsAva

Edit: fixed link.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 08:35:17 pm by Nora_Lenderbee »

iLIE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 08:33:08 pm »

Why would you do that? LS knows you will get 10-15% for a 4+ late(at best)

For reference,all you gotta do is look at the 228k in defaults he got 30k for
Some people are like slinkys; they really don't have a purpose in life , but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

iLIE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 08:33:58 pm »

LS seems to be quite off. According to LS, MsAva is making money

but according to Eric's, she's losing almost exactly the same amount of money:

not only that..Your links carries you to the exact same place.

Nora_Lenderbee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:34:07 pm »

You think LS is even close? I say no way.Please justify the difference in erics & this

http://www.lendingstats.com/lenders/pensioner

for comparison:
http://www.ericscc.com/lenders/pensioner
-13%

onthefence

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 08:47:15 pm »

Eric's data on pensoiner
http://www.ericscc.com/lenders/pensioner
Estimated ROI = -13.06%

You would think that their estimates (both lending stats & ericc's should get more accurate over time, but obviously they don't).
Lobby permission granted

iLIE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 08:48:02 pm »

10/1 says eric is closer on the ROI than LS

NewHorizon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 09:02:53 pm »

I suspect Erics and LS are both open to specific constructions suggestions
... more so than, um, dare I say: ridicule...?

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 09:05:50 pm »

Why would you do that? LS knows you will get 10-15% for a 4+ late(at best)

For reference,all you gotta do is look at the 228k in defaults he got 30k for

LS even shows that my $900 Bankruptcy that hasn't made a payment since Jan-19-2007 is still worth $308.67

epetroel

• View Profile
    • Eric's Credit Community
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 09:06:32 pm »

The LS ROI figure is surely way too high.  Looking at my estimate of -13%, that seems too high as well, especially when you see the $228K in defaults already.

However, a default is not always a total loss - you have some small amount recovered, plus the principal and interest already repaid (which is not factored in to $228K number).  Also, his average interest rate is 26%, so even with a huge loss rate, he's also raking in a huge amount of interest on those ones that are actually paying.

I would bet if he were to run his loan data through XIRR (which is essentially what my ROI figure is trying to estimate) you would get something close to -13% though.

I wish I could give a more detailed audit of how my ROI figure is calculated.. maybe an ROI audit similar to what LendingStats has would be a good future enhancement :)
Visit www.ericscc.com for Prosper Stats & Lender Data!
Test your lending skills at www.fantasyprosper.com

onthefence

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 09:09:44 pm »

I suspect Erics and LS are both open to specific constructions suggestions
... more so than, um, dare I say: ridicule...?
By all means, I am very thankful for both Eric & LS's efforts.  Without their help we would not have a clue as to what is really going on.
Lobby permission granted

ira01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 12:34:21 am »

For seasoned lenders, the LS ROI was almost always lower than the Eric's ROI.  Lately, however, I've noticed that the LS ROI's seem significantly higher than they used to be, and are now often higher than Eric's.  The only thing that makes sense to me is that LS changed its ROI calculation in some fundamental way a couple months ago.  Whatever they did, they should seriously think about changing it back -- it is way too optomistic now. 
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

Xenon481

• Feeling Gassy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 01:43:27 am »

I said this earlier in the thread, but it didn't look like anybody read it.  The issue is that LS is SEVERELY understating the expected losses from late loans; especially 2, 3, and 4+ month late loans.  LS seems to be assuming that you will get back ~60% of your principle on loans that are 4+ months late!  It even estimates that I will get back over 63% of the outstanding principle on my E Bankruptcy (not defaulted yet...) that hasn't made a payment in over 14 months.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 01:46:16 am by Xenon481 »

NPX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 06:06:30 am »

I said this earlier in the thread, but it didn't look like anybody read it.  The issue is that LS is SEVERELY understating the expected losses from late loans; especially 2, 3, and 4+ month late loans.  LS seems to be assuming that you will get back ~60% of your principle on loans that are 4+ months late!  It even estimates that I will get back over 63% of the outstanding principle on my E Bankruptcy (not defaulted yet...) that hasn't made a payment in over 14 months.

I read it; I just had to think about it for a while.

It looks to me as if LS is incorporating payments already made, both principal and interest, into its estimated late loss amount.  So when it's assuming that Pensioner is going to have a loss of only $4,797.65 out of $13,569.56 on listing 28155, that's because LS shows that over $9700 of payments have been made on the original loan amount of $17000.  So Pensioner's gotten back over $7700, leaving roughly $5900 "loss" if nothing is gained at the debt sale; apparently LS is presuming the loan will sell for about $1400 total, which is not completely unreasonable.

As another for example, larrybird is in for $1000 of $8500 on loan listing 156, which after 24 payments is now 1 month late.  LS gives larrybird an estimated loss of only $100 on that loan.  According to LS, the loan made $7400 in payments before going late, so larry's received $870, and LS seems to think he'll get another $30 for the sale.

Ah, and even a better example:

http://www.lendingstats.com/lenders/kokua/audit?pageNum=-1&sort=lateLossAmount&sortDirection=ASC

Loan listing 2372 is 1 month late and shows an estimate late loss amount of NEGATIVE $41.14.  Because of the 40% interest rate and LS showing this loan making 23 payments before going late, it had actually paid back 10% more than the original principal, so the "loss" is now a negative number.

In the case of your E bankruptcy, LS seems to believe that 14 payments were made, for a total of $2400, and that's why it's pegging you for only a $300 loss on your $900.  It thinks you've already gotten back $450 or so of those $900.  Why it thinks that is another question, I guess, since from ericscc's status tracker, it appears to me that only four or five payments were made, and that you got something close to $150 from those.

In short, it looks like LS is using original principal loaned as its "basis" for determining loss amount, while it's more intuitive for lenders to think about either "current loan value" (original principle plus interest to date) or "full loan value" (original principle plus 36 months of interest) as appropriate benchmarks.

Whether this is a good way of doing things depends, I guess, on how the "estimated late loss amount" values feed into the estimated ROI calculation, if they do at all (they may just be there for show and tell purposes).
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up