Prospers.ORG Prosper Forum

Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Prospers.ORG!   Login here

Poll

Will you lend again via Prosper knowing what you know now?

Yes
- 22 (13.5%)
Maybe
- 26 (16%)
No
- 115 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will you lend again via Prosper?  (Read 34022 times)

TotoMMB

• View Profile
Re: Will you lend again via Prosper?
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2009, 03:55:16 pm »

It should be infamous.

I think it was gearing up to be around the time of the Motley Fool article but the stock market crashed & the SEC stepped in.

Yes, there's a lot of bad news to compete with, I suppose.
There's a lot more "bigger" news to compete with. When the market was humming along and everyone was immune to the same ol' "xx stock beat earnings" song, Prosper was the nice, hidden gem that everyone raced to uncover. Also, Yunnus winning the Nobel prize for microlending in '06 gave the idea credence. Since that shine has worn off, not too many people care any more (maybe not too many cared even then). Also, since the idea never took off with "lenders", there's not much new to cover. I bet in the next 6-12 months, it'll be covered in the "What ever happened to...?" news stories.

bluestar148

• The Earth is a huge biology experiment.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2009, 11:43:51 pm »

Are we there yet?

czach

« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2009, 07:47:35 am »

Yup.  Over and over again, in lots of different ways, Prosper has shown that they view their lenders as an unfortunate necessity.  They don't hesitate to respond antagonistically to the most innocent inquiries.  They berate and scold.  They ignore.  They fail to implement the most basic business processes to protect us (such as collections).   
I've been thinking about this a bit during my experience at Prosper:

One of the things about our culture is this oddball concept that lenders are somehow "bad", and debtors are somehow virtueous. Maybe it's the legend of the "greedy jew" from the middle ages (when no good Christian would ever stoop to charging interest, they were too busy raping and pillaging for that) or the various times that governments of that period would ram a hot poker in the rectum of lenders in order to "save the country from thieves" (cf: Templars, several expulsions of said Jews, etc).

Or maybe it's that damn Christmas Carol which did for lenders what that bastard Robin Hood did for people who dared to have money.

Whatever it is, the concept of a "lender" seems to be tinged with the fact that said people/entities are "greedy", "evil", and "against us" where us is of course those who can profit from default. Lenders do evil things like require people to honor their commitments, pay up, and play fair.

Or is it that we greedily suck the marrow from the bones of poor widows and orphans. Depends on the spin I suppose.

That is an additional headwind every "lender" on Prosper has to deal with, and I wonder if that is part of our problem. Because of this perception, people feel it's ok to default; we're just hurting that greedy lender who is getting 30% anyway. And Prosper can treat us like bread mold because it helps the perception that they're on the side of the "little guy". Which is the one who pays that origination fee by the way.

And by Prosper treating lenders like crud it helps potential debtors feel that they have a friend in Prosper. Lenders? We're slime.

And there you have it, so to speak.

CZ

Senator

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2009, 08:33:54 am »

The big banks were supposed to be evil.  Prosper lenders were supposed to be portrayed as regular hard working people - as equals.  How would a borrower know how Prosper treats its lenders if not for these forums?
Stats as of 12/29/2010:
Total withdrawals: $3,488.87 minus (-) Total deposits: $3,600.00 = ($111.13)
Cash balance: $0
Principal value of active notes:  $0
Total active notes: 0 of 70.

Successful loans are made to persons who are on a clear path to financial stability. -Mjerryfirst May 18th, 2008.

I know that when I make my 10% those "unbelievers" will call it luck cause that will be the easiest way to excuse their mistakes. -Researchpro May 5th, 2009.

It's a great time to be poor and irresponsible in America. -PPT May 2009

czach

« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2009, 08:54:21 am »

The big banks were supposed to be evil.  Prosper lenders were supposed to be portrayed as regular hard working people - as equals.  How would a borrower know how Prosper treats its lenders if not for these forums?
Other forums, like Creditboards. "Hey, I was able to default with no problems, no questions! Go to Prosper for free money!"

I'm sure there are even CB people here spreading the word. Once it gets around, problem solved.

C

Ichabod

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2009, 02:18:25 pm »

No. I stopped in December 2007. Won't do it again.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up